Brightly colored tarantulas + questions

Thekla

Arachnoprince
What about a Homoeomma sp. blue peru 2?

I got a sling at 1/2" in November 2017

Jack_first meal.jpg

... and within 4 months (and 3 moults) he grew up to 1 3/4"

Jack_3rd moult_sm.jpg

He's currently in premoult again, maybe another 10 to 14 days to go.
Mine is always out in the open, he even moults openly and doesn't bury himself away for months like my B. albo for example. ;)

I heard they can get a bit skittish when older but mine is quite calm at the moment. I already rehoused him two times without a hitch. He's a very good eater and only fasts while in premoult. Not a really heavy webber, but there's a bit of webbing here and there. ;) Apparently they grow up to 5"-6", but there's also a smaller form (H. sp. blue peru 1) available, I think.

I really do love my little "Jack". :kiss:

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
What about a Homoeomma sp. blue peru 2?

I got a sling at 1/2" in November 2017

View attachment 272425

... and within 4 months (and 3 moults) he grew up to 1 3/4"

View attachment 272424

He's currently in premoult again, maybe another 10 to 14 days to go.
Mine is always out in the open, he even moults openly and doesn't bury himself away for months like my B. albo for example. ;)

I heard they can get a bit skittish when older but mine is quite calm at the moment. I already rehoused him two times without a hitch. He's a very good eater and only fasts while in premoult. Not a really heavy webber, but there's a bit of webbing here and there. ;) Apparently they grow up to 5"-6", but there's also a smaller form (H. sp. blue peru 1) available, I think.

I really do love my little "Jack". :kiss:
Oh that ones gorgeous now. Its also pretty as an adult.

I guess personalities vary even within the same species a lot? Hm...

So it might be a good idea for me if I want a larger grown one to see maybe get a big one and to not waste shipping get a few slings or so... so I can have a choice between personality and gender? Then resell or trade the extras.

I would need to study them daily, and have them in numbered and color coded containers so I don't miss which is which.

This would ensure better that I have c.b.b. individuals too? Plus might help me familiarize myself better. I realize tarantulas don't need a lot of space so slings would be fine in containers for a while.

I need to look up how to identify when they're near moulting. As it would help prevent issues.

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Oh that ones gorgeous now. Its also pretty as an adult.
Yes it is! :D

I guess personalities vary even within the same species a lot? Hm...

So it might be a good idea for me if I want a larger grown one to see maybe get a big one and to not waste shipping get a few slings or so... so I can have a choice between personality and gender? Then resell or trade the extras.

I would need to study them daily, and have them in numbered and color coded containers so I don't miss which is which.

This would ensure better that I have c.b.b. individuals too? Plus might help me familiarize myself better. I realize tarantulas don't need a lot of space so slings would be fine in containers for a while.

I need to look up how to identify when they're near moulting. As it would help prevent issues.
Of course personalities vary, but that's part of the game. ;) But they don't vary that much, I mean there're still species which are considered "beginner friendly" and those that are not. And yes, there may be the odd ones of a docile species not behaving like one, but IMO they're still the exceptions.

If I were you, I'd first choose maybe 2 or 3 slings (to justify shipping costs) of beginner Ts, maybe mixed with a juvie of a very slow growing beginner species. Then do your research to proper house and care for these specific species. Prepare enclosures (I'd always have several possible enclosures ready in case a spider isn't the size I expected), get food and after that - prepared and committed - just order them. Everything else comes with time and experience. You can't plan everything in advance, but you can very much overthink the whole thing. ;)
Just my 2 cents. :)

P.S. What do you mean by c.b.b. individuals?:confused:

Last edited:

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Yes it is! :D

Of course personalities vary, but that's part of the game. ;) But they don't vary that much, I mean there're still species which are considered "beginner friendly" and those that are not. And yes, there may be the odd ones of a docile species not behaving like one, but IMO they're still the exceptions.

If I were you, I'd first choose maybe 2 or 3 slings (to justify shipping costs) of beginner Ts, maybe mixed with a juvie of a very slow growing beginner species. Then do your research to proper house and care for these specific species. Prepare enclosures (I'd always have several possible enclosures ready in case a spider isn't the size I expected), get food and after that - prepared and committed - just order them. Everything else comes with time and experience. You can't plan everything in advance, but you can very much overthink the whole thing. ;)
Just my 2 cents. :)

P.S. What do you mean by c.b.b. individuals?:confused:
All of that is true. A few to start would be good. Id just hope I get atleast one female.

Also c.b.b. means captive bred and born. It's a persisting thing that lingered with me from reptile days

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, if you get slings from a reputable breeder/hobbyist (there are quite a few here on the boards for those who live in the US) you can be sure to get CB specimens. Don't worry. ;)

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Well, if you get slings from a reputable breeder/hobbyist (there are quite a few here on the boards for those who live in the US) you can be sure to get CB specimens. Don't worry. ;)
Nice. Maybe someday I can bring a contribution to the community one way or another.

I always sort of wanted to make a contribution one way or another to these hobbies I have had.

http://www.tarantulasdemexico.com/en/tarantulasmex_en.htm

These pics are so beautiful

Last edited: