Brightly colored tarantulas + questions

boina

Lady of the mites
judging by the hairs on the rump, that looks liks a species in the genus Xenesthis.

Well i rsised 162 (half a sac) and didnt have that experience with them....house any sling in an oversize enclosure and thats bound to happen. I still have 5, and none ever hide...in fact every one has totally blocked their hides making them unusable...
Ok, I have to reply to this now. After all this praise of G. pulchripes I just have to state that I dislike mine. If I ever were to sell one of my female tarantulas (not likely) G. pulchripes would be the second one to go (first is Stichoplastoris sp.). She was one of my first 10 Ts and one of the few tarantulas I bought fully adult. She spends most of her time in her hide, is rather skittish when out at all, rarely eats, and generally just sits there. I'm not even sure she ever explored the other end of her enclosure, ever, in the two years she's been in it. I think she's broken. Maybe she's just a bit older than I thought.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Well i rsised 162 (half a sac) and didnt have that experience with them....house any sling in an oversize enclosure and thats bound to happen. I still have 5, and none ever hide...in fact every one has totally blocked their hides making them unusable...
Well, mine has only been an "out in the open" kind of guy when he's hungry. He burrowed in sling enclosures and now in his juvie enclosure he has gone in his hide and sealed it. Perhaps he's the odd duck. I suspect as he gets larger his penchant for hiding will diminish. He's still one of my favorites.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
I second this. They're attractive, easy to keep, generally docile.... This is the spider I recommend to anyone wanted to get into T's. They're wonderful. The problem is, OP wants a T that stays out in the open almost all the time and is very colorful. An adult G. pulchripes perhaps, but the youngsters are good burrowers/hiders. I haven't seen my juvie male since November. Plus, while I personally find them very beautiful, they aren't in the same league as C. versicolor colorwise. If the OP were willing to negotiate on some of their demands, I agree a G. pulchripes would be perfect. I love mine. He was my first ever tarantula and I don't tell my others, but he's kinda my favorite :embarrassed:
Oh I sort of gave up on color + out in the open. So decided atleast something with a lighter colored head because I wanna see the eyes but more importantly non-hiding. I am however thinking of going for a subadult.

Ok, I have to reply to this now. After all this praise of G. pulchripes I just have to state that I dislike mine. If I ever were to sell one of my female tarantulas (not likely) G. pulchripes would be the second one to go (first is Stichoplastoris sp.). She was one of my first 10 Ts and one of the few tarantulas I bought fully adult. She spends most of her time in her hide, is rather skittish when out at all, rarely eats, and generally just sits there. I'm not even sure she ever explored the other end of her enclosure, ever, in the two years she's been in it. I think she's broken. Maybe she's just a bit older than I thought.
Wow that sucks.

Sorry, just caught this.... Are you saying up north we have brown recluses? Because, I mean, unless their range has expanded dramatically, we don't. As far as I know, there are no Loxosceles reclusa established in the North East. And why are poor wolf spiders included with widows and recluses?? None of the Lycosidae sp. are medically significant. We DO have L. variolus and I believe a bit of mactans up here, but I've never seen one.... ::mumbles of resentment:: Honestly, I'd love to find a recluse up here.... All the pest control guys say we have them.... I always say I'll pay cash for a locally collected specimen, but no one ever calls back.... :rofl:
https://www.cowleys.com/pests-we-treat/technical-papers/19731-nj-homeowners-guide-to-spiders.html

https://spiderid.com/locations/united-states/new-jersey/

Yeah I am, because in my old house I saw quite a few of them. You only see them near houses.... more so if abandoned. I only saw it in my garage and because no one ever touched the garage literally for 2 years of me moving there.

As for why I included a wolf spider with them it's because it was one of the 3 i could quickly think of.... we do have quite a bit of species... with a lot of persistence you can find them....

Same thing someone said to me about wood turtles not living in n j but I proved them wrong once. (though wood turtles are very very rare imho) only ever saw one once.

Nj is just kind of boring with insects and arachnids... only insect I care for here is the camponotus penn. and for arachnids....

I technically had a wolf spider I caught surprise me with an egg sac. She was surprisingly active. I had her in a 2.5 tank. Gave her a good burrow/hide and she only hid the first week or so.

After that? she was always out in the open. Sometimes explored too. When slings hatched she carried them in her back.

I had her for a year and I am not even sure at what point(or how) she laid her eggsac. But it was much later in the year. I overwintered them and let em go next spring.

judging by the hairs on the rump, that looks liks a species in the genus Xenesthis.

xenethis?

Do you sell ts?

Last edited by a moderator:

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Everything...If I have a mature female and I can locate a MM for her, I do.
So your favorite beginner is g.pulchripes? what about the g.albi and g.albo? or the arizona blondes? what do you make of them?
Also do you ever sell sub adults? or nearly grown? I was hoping to get one of t that's 3inches or near it and maybe a few slings to start.

With slings you said I could grow them, and sell the ones I don't want?

cold blood

Staff member
So your favorite beginner is g.pulchripes?
Of the most readily available, yes, they are fantastic and the one I most highly recommend. T. cyaneolum is IMO the best, but its also pretty rare and expensive.
what about the g.albi and g.albo? or the arizona blondes? what do you make of them?
The albopilosul and albiceps are members of the Brachypelma genus. The AZ blonde is Aphonopelma chalcodes, just to be clear.

All three also make good starter ts....albopilosum would be at the top of the list along with the G. pulchripes due to better feeding response, slightly faster growth and typically being on the more active side of ts.

Also do you ever sell sub adults? or nearly grown? I was hoping to get one of t that's 3inches or near it and maybe a few slings to start.
Sure, when available...I do have a juviie G. pulchripes that's not technically for sale, but will be one day.
With slings you said I could grow them, and sell the ones I don't want?
yep...and since you are here on AB, selling or trading them is even easier.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Of the most readily available, yes, they are fantastic and the one I most highly recommend. T. cyaneolum is IMO the best, but its also pretty rare and expensive.

The albopilosul and albiceps are members of the Brachypelma genus. The AZ blonde is Aphonopelma chalcodes, just to be clear.

All three also make good starter ts....albopilosum would be at the top of the list along with the G. pulchripes due to better feeding response, slightly faster growth and typically being on the more active side of ts.

Sure, when available...I do have a juviie G. pulchripes that's not technically for sale, but will be one day.
Out of those I prefer the albo. I like how they make these little silk nests.

Would you say they are the most active beginner t? and how long would it take one to reach maz size?

also what are the horns in the back for?

https://www.cowleys.com/pests-we-treat/technical-papers/19731-nj-homeowners-guide-to-spiders.html

https://spiderid.com/locations/united-states/new-jersey/

Yeah I am, because in my old house I saw quite a few of them. You only see them near houses.... more so if abandoned. I only saw it in my garage and because no one ever touched the garage literally for 2 years of me moving there.
A pest control company's goal is to kill pests. They're not really concerned with properly identifying what they kill. Thus, citing a pest control company as proof that you have Loxosceles reclusa is dubious, at best.

The other site you listed did not show L. reclusa as being in your area, so that one disproves your assertion quite handily on its own.

cold blood

Staff member
Out of those I prefer the albo. I like how they make these little silk nests.
No idea what you are talking about here....albos are not heavy webbers by any means.

Would you say they are the most active beginner t? and how long would it take one to reach maz size?
IMO G. pulchripes, B. vagans and B.albo tend to be more on the active side.

Growth rates are hugely variable. They depend on both your husbandry and to a degree, the individual t.

An albo and pulchripes can reach juvie sizes in 1-2 years, adulthood would hake a few more years as growth slows as the t grows.
also what are the horns in the back for
If you mean the back of the abdomen, those aren't horns, those are spinnerettes, they are for spinning web, all ts have them.

You need to explain what you mean...these ts have no horns...only a few species have actual real horns, none are beginners, the 2 main ones are OW and African.
If you mean the appendages at the back of the abdomen, those aren't horns, those are spinnerettes, they are for spinning web, all ts have them.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight

not sure why it didnt send but yeah out of those i like the albo(curly) more from what I see they make these webbing to feel the ground?

are they the most active beginner t? how long it takes to be full grown?

A pest control company's goal is to kill pests. They're not really concerned with properly identifying what they kill. Thus, citing a pest control company as proof that you have Loxosceles reclusa is dubious, at best.

The other site you listed did not show L. reclusa as being in your area, so that one disproves your assertion quite handily on its own.
Ah I was going by a simple google search. I can however say I did see what appeared to be a brown recluse 2 years after i had moved into that house.

No idea what you are talking about here....albos are not heavy webbers by any means.

IMO G. pulchripes, B. vagans and B.albo tend to be more on the active side.

If you mean the back of the abdomen, those aren't horns, those are spinnerettes, they are for spinning web, all ts have them.

You need to explain what you mean...these ts have no horns...only a few species have actual real horns, none are beginners, the 2 main ones are OW and African.
If you mean the appendages at the back of the abdomen, those aren't horns, those are spinnerettes, they are for spinning web, all ts have them.
Ah spinnerettes! explains it well.

As for the web thing it was something I saw in this video

The spider was doing this weird little dance after eating and the spinerettes were moving a lot

cold blood

Staff member
Just to be clear, they really only web prior to molting or dropping an egg sac...as an example, i just opened my albo enclosure and took this pic...as you see, no discernable webbing. 20180413_160135.jpg

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Just to be clear, they really only web prior to molting or dropping an egg sac...as an example, i just opened my albo enclosure and took this pic...as you see, no discernable webbing. View attachment 272376
Yeah I wasn't expecting that heavy webbing either. I just thought a lot of terrestrial t's did it to some extent to aid sensing nearby predators or prey

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah I wasn't expecting that heavy webbing either. I just thought a lot of terrestrial t's did it to some extent to aid sensing nearby predators or prey
With enough time in a permanent enclosure, they can lay a film over the area...but all ts can and will do this pretty much. Some individuals may be more inclined to web, others less....but its nothing at all unique to an albo or really any of the beginner species aside from the GBB, which webs A TON.

A GBB would be a good choice as well if you really like web. Theyre a popular t, great eaters and decently fast growth, especially as slings. Although they do tend to be more on the skittish side, but not really that defensive.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
With enough time in a permanent enclosure, they can lay a film over the area...but all ts can and will do this pretty much. Some individuals may be more inclined to web, others less....but its nothing at all unique to an albo or really any of the beginner species aside from the GBB, which webs A TON.

A GBB would be a good choice as well if you really like web. Theyre a popular t, great eaters and decently fast growth, especially as slings. Although they do tend to be more on the skittish side, but not really that defensive.
I remember someone showing me theirs once. Was rather active but always tried to attack when you opened the lid.. and was fast lol.

Do you raise any of the ones I mentioned? what would you say about the arizonas? there is the nhandu as well...

cold blood

Staff member
I remember someone showing me theirs once. Was rather active but always tried to attack when you opened the lid.. and was fast lol.

Do you raise any of the ones I mentioned? what would you say about the arizonas? there is the nhandu as well...
i keep them all but the blonde...i dont keep any Aphonopelma.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Ah I was going by a simple google search. I can however say I did see what appeared to be a brown recluse 2 years after i had moved into that house.
There are many, many species of brown spider, some even sporting a "fiddle like" pattern on the carapace.... But there's only one Brown Recluse and I very highly doubt you found one in NJ. But hey, I would really love to be proven wrong. It would actually be a fairly cool discovery if you could prove that L. reclusa are established in NJ. You find one, you should submit it to bugguide and Mr. Vetter over in California.... Maps will have to be remade and your name will go down as the first person to document one there! Big stuff.... Anyway, your links prove nothing. No offense. My point of the pest control people earlier was just solidified if anything. They try to sell you business using scare tactics and fear mongering. I'm even farther north than you and I'm told all the time we have brown recluses up here. It's misinformation spread by ill informed people. "Hey, check out this brown recluse!" ::actually a Woodlouse Hunter:: " my face in emojis o_O:banghead:

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
There are many, many species of brown spider, some even sporting a "fiddle like" pattern on the carapace.... But there's only one Brown Recluse and I very highly doubt you found one in NJ. But hey, I would really love to be proven wrong. It would actually be a fairly cool discovery if you could prove that L. reclusa are established in NJ. You find one, you should submit it to bugguide and Mr. Vetter over in California.... Maps will have to be remade and your name will go down as the first person to document one there! Big stuff.... Anyway, your links prove nothing. No offense. My point of the pest control people earlier was just solidified if anything. They try to sell you business using scare tactics and fear mongering. I'm even farther north than you and I'm told all the time we have brown recluses up here. It's misinformation spread by ill informed people. "Hey, check out this brown recluse!" ::actually a Woodlouse Hunter:: " my face in emojis o_O:banghead:
I forgot about bugguide. Buut yeah if I ever see one again I will definitely record it, snap a pic, heck ill even write my username, date, and location next to it.

I mean hey it could had been something else. I just compared it to the image of one at the time and I remember freaking out and smashing the crap out of it.

I am not fond of anything even hypothetically toxic/dangerous because sadly I have some health issues which stuff like that may screw with me worse....

I have seen a lot of yellow sacs though.

Oh. lol I mean they do sometimes look/behave like angry little arselings.

I am actually trying to learn more and more about tarantulas as well.

One of the t's you guys suggested will suffice to get my feet wet in the field... Then I can possibly add something prettier looking as well.