Avicularia bicegoi molted

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Avics are never large enough to handle lower humidity... they require good, quite high levels all the time, even as adults.
The most popular cases of avics dying, as spiderlings and adults is dehydration, and getting stuck in moults due to lack of humidity.
They should also have plenty of ventilation. I spray my avics everyday if possible, if not, every other day. I keep the substrate moist, and spray webbing and the sides of the tank.
I'm going to challenge you on this. I do not believe the main cause of Avic deaths are from lack of humidity, it seems insufficient ventilation is the worst problem.

I've seen their wild habitat, and its not soaking. They do not need insanely high amounts of humidity, as long as you occasionally mist, they should be good.

I mean, ask the other experienced keepers here, see how many mist their Avics much more then any other species.

-Sean

Last edited:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah true. I do agree with you :) There are lots of reasons why all dif types of spiders die, get stuck in moults etc. Avics seem to suffer most from this.
I make sure mine are well ventilated. I spray about every other day or at least 3 or 4 times a week.
Been fine so far.
So yea, you're right :) I agree with you.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Hey, no problem. We each have our own little differences in how we keep them. As long as they're alive and healthy, thats what matters.

-Sean

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
exactly, i keep all of my avics(adults) pretty dry,they all get misted once aweek,great ventilation,i use alittle waterdish also,and in all of my years in keeping them they did wonderful,the slings,yes alot more humidity which i kept them at,but once they got alot bigger they didn't need it as much.just my experience:)

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Thanks for everybodies information. I have read a large number of threads around the internet where some of the new owners would make statements like...

I WILL NEVER BUY A T UNDER 2 INCHES AGAIN

or

I WILL NEVER BUY A T UNDER 1 INCH AGAIN

or even

I GIVE UP, MUST SALE THE REMAINS OF COLLECTION

...and I have to admit, the newborn slings are tough little buggers to raise. At least finally number 6 of my remaining 6 Avicularia minatrix molted this morning!:) I did drill enough holes in their containers that when I place a brand new drilled container up to my mouth and blow as hard as I can the air flows through the holes without any back pressure at all. At least the air moves easily.

So far to date...

9 out of 9 Avicularia versicolor are still alive
7 out of 8 Avicularia bicegoi are still alive
4 out of 5 Avicularia amazonica are still alive
6 out of 8 Avicularia minatrix are still alive

and 1 out of 1 Acanthoscurria geniculata are still alive. At least I think that is still alive. I cut a 2 inch black ABS 90 degree elbow in half down the center to give it a 90 degree Quonset hut that it has pushed substrate up on both sides. I have not seen it in a week so it is inside the hut.

So far I have lost 4 of my T's probably in part do to my inexperience and in part do to reasons that I either noticed to late or still do not know about. Live and learn I guess. I have heard of people losing large parts of entire collections because of something just beyond their control or just out of site until it is to late. Personally I know it will happen to me again sooner or later but at least I learned and can watch out for things that I know about that may happen. While I did not want any of my Ts to die I am really saddened by the loss of one of my amazonicas.:( I wanted all 5 of them to survive. Now it is only 4.:( It was also stuck in a molt attempt. I wonder if they could be over feed to extreme to molt???

BinarySpider2

Last edited:

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Avicularia Molted

I decided on a new screen name, CrypticDragon and I am continueing to post pictures of my current Avicularia species. Here is another one of my small Avicularia versicolor that is showing more of the adult coloration. This is about 2.5 inches or about 63.5 mm toe to toe...

Another one of my Avicularia bicegoi has molted also. This one is molting out over 3 inches or about 76.2 mm toe to toe...

CrypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Beautiful as always :D The bicegoi is stunning. I love the colour but who couldnt love the A. versi too. Way too cute for their own good :worship:

Elaine

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Avicularia amazonica

YEA!

{D {D {D {D
{D {D {D {D

Another one of my Avicularia amazonicas has molted at 5:00_A.M. this morning. It is still fresh and very white. You can see that it is still sitting beside the old exoskeleton on top of the web it created inside the 50 dram vial. I will get more photographs in a few days after it hardens up and more of the adult coloration comes in. This one looks like it will be over 1.5 inches or about 38.1 mm toe to toe. This one may need to be in a larger home after this molt...

CrypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those legs look long even resting like that :eek: Congratulations on a successful moult :D Beautiful.
Elaine

kimski

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow! I love them all - but I like the A. versi. My 2nd tarantula is a A. versi and she just molted on 7/13! And, my 3rd T, P. irminia, just molted 2 days ago. Aren't arboreals great! Good luck and excellent pics!

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Less than 24 hours later...

It is less than 24 hours later and what a difference you can see. The body fluids are allready pumping through this animal. I would say around 1.5 inches or about 38.1 mm. I still can not tell if it has a purple color or a blue green color but the color will still change some more over the next few days. What color does it look like to you? It definitely has some very long and thick legs. Also it appears to have white frosted tips on the hairs. Here are three photographs. I will post several more photographs in a few more days...

I have one more amazonica warming up for a molt so I hope that it goes as well. The other two of my four amazonicas are weeks away from a molt.

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
More amazonica

Here are some more photographs of my Avicularia amazonica at about 24 hours after the molt. After I did a measurement it is over 1.625 inches or about 41.275 mm toe to toe. I can not be sure but does that look like a BlueGreen casting to anybody else???

I will post more photographs of my Avicularia sp. amazonica in a few days. Is it obvious what my favorite Avicularia is at the present time?

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Vials

These Avicularia amazonica are molting out at 1 5/8 of an inch or about 1.625 inches. This is pretty large for the 50 DRAM vials. The 50 DRAM vials are the largest that are available from...

http://www.thorntonplastics.com

Does anybody know where I might find some low cost sample vials like these but maybe around the 100 DRAM size???:confused:

I only need about 8 of them.

THANKS, :)

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Another amazonica molted

Another one of my Avicularia sp "amazonica" molted just a few hours ago:)...

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
More amazonica photographs...

I just took some new photographs of the one that molted about 64 hours ago. Not even three days has passed since it molted and allready it has begun to build a new web. This one runs almost clear down to the bottom of the 50 DRAM vial and it has larger spans on the threads. I cleaned out all of my tarantula cages this morning except for three Avicularia bicegoi who are near molting and two Avicularia sp "amazonica" in which one has just molted this morning. Here are the photographs of this amazonica. It definitely has the white frosted hairs and the hair does look very dense to me. I will need to wait for a couple more molts to see the true color but it looks to have a blue/green casting to it. Does anybody else see the blue/green casting that I am seeing?:confused:

CrypticDragon