Arachnoking
Old Timer
ahh wow:clap: very beautiful avic! that's another to add to my list:drool:

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Thanks

beetleman said:
ahh wow:clap: very beautiful avic! that's another to add to my list:drool:
Thanks, I am even looking forward to the day that they are only 2 or 3 inches long.:D

ShadowBlade said:
Growing slow as heck aren't those little A. sp. amazonica 's?

-Sean
That is for sure. They are slow growers. It may be a year before they hit a nice size and it could be Xmas next year before they breed, assuming that I decide to breed them. I keep forgetting to add the sp. in their name, owe well.

Here are some pics of the 50 dram vials. They are about 1_7/8_inches in diameter by 4_1/4_inches tall. I simply made a pattern on standard notebook paper and rapped it around the container using scotch tape to hold the ends together. Then I drilled 5/64_inch diameter holes in the containers. I used a very thin card stock for a pattern to drill the holes in the lids. The drill bit was a bit old and it left some slight plastic slag but it came off by simply rubbing my finger across the holes on the inside of the containers. I placed the lid on a piece of wood to drill it. It is all pretty simple to do.

I place about an inch of damp coconut fiber that I tamped down with a pencil on the bottom of the containers. My amazonicas are currently eating one week old crickets that are very small.

Since they are arboreals and could hit the nine inch mark I would guess a really nice sized cage could be about 14_x_14_x_42_inches. I am only guessing on the cage right now but 50% wider than the leg span and then the height should be triple the diameter or width if square.

What size does anybody else use for their Avicularia amazonica:confused:

BinarySpider2

Last edited:

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
put a piece of corkbark in there so theyhave soething to climb on. instead of sticking to the walls. ..i usualy ust get a knife and peel of a strip from the big pieces i have

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Avicularia bicegoi #7 of 8 just molted

put a piece of corkbark in there so theyhave soething to climb on. instead of sticking to the walls. ..i usualy ust get a knife and peel of a strip from the big pieces i have
Thanks, I was thinking about doing something like that. I did notice that this species puts little patches of webbing flat against the container wall. That probably helps them climb around it when then they get closer to molting time. I have also noticed that the Avicularia genus in general start to have problems staying attached to smooth surfaces about a week or so before they molt. That might be why they stay in their web cocoon until they molt. Simply for protection against other preditor type animals.

Avicularia bicegoi #7 of 8 just last night.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I am waiting for bicegoi #8 to molt and #4 and #5 amazonica to molt.
:cool:

BinarySpider2

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Ning Ning ... Ning Ning

Ning Ning ... Ning Ning

It is dinner time. I just placed 2 crickets in each of my tarantulas cages. Nearly everyone of them except the near molting tarantulas have nabbed one cricket for dinner and some are on their second cricket.

Here are a couple of pics of one of my Avicularia bicegoi chomping down his/her prey. They are very fast at catching their prey, no discussions, no feelings, no compromise, just a brute wild instinct to survive. Definitely a true successful predator.

BinarySpider2

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Molt Fest

It seems like it has been a molt fest around here lately. I woke up this morning and I found that my Acanthoscurria geniculata had molted. He/she was about 2 inches fully stretched out before the molt. Now fully stretched out he/she is about 2.75 inches or about 7 centimeters for those of us who prefer the metric system. It was over 4 months after I got him/her before he/she finally molted.

Here are some pics of a 70 millimeter Acanthoscurria geniculata the morning after a molt...

BinarySpider2

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: very nice! and they grow fast! mines growing like a weed{D very cool spiders they are.

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Dowel Rods

I did not have any corkbark so I bought a 3 foot long piece of dowel rod that was 1/4 of an inch in diameter for 39 cents plus tax. I cut them into 3.5 inch lengths Some of the Avicularia amazonicas are allready putting web around and on them.

Here is a picture of one of them...

BinarySpider2

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Food

This Avicularia amazonica that I just placed online today...

is the one that just molted a few days ago...

and it just caught it's first cricket since the molt...

BinarySpider2

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Molt Fest Continues

Just about when you think it is over it just starts again. I had 1 bicegoi and 2 amazonicas left to molt so that every tarantula in my collection has molted once while in my place.

This Avicularia versicolor just molted last night which is for the second time since I have had him/her. It still has the blue color but you can see the that the carapace is starting to get that metallic green color...

You can also see that the abdomen is starting to get the long red hairs...

BinarySpider2

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
beetleman said:
it's amazing how they have awesome colors:clap: luv it.
Thanks, I think so also.

Becky said:
Very nice! Love the versi.. brill pics
Thanks, I think that the Avicularia genus rocks.

Well, I just got eight 1/2 inch long Avicularia minatrix from...

http://www.botarby8s.com

...about an hour ago. These are the smallest tarantulas I have ever bought on my life. They are only 1/2 inch toe to toe. It will be a while for them to become adults. I had all eight of their homes set up before they got here this morning. I am using the 25 DRAM vials from Thornton Plastics. They are 1.5 inches in diameter and 3.3125 inches tall. I had some small crickets allready in them as well but they are about 1/4 of inch long which is about the total length of the minatrix's body. Since those may be to large for the Avicularia minatrix I did an overnight by 10:30AM order for some 1 week old pinheads. Ouch, the shipping costs are getting way out of hand these days. Here is a picture of one of them...

Sounds like it will be a continueing molt fest around here with 32 tarantulas so far.

BinarySpider2

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ahh the minitrix:clap: they are mini{D i have an adult female she's not big at all,but awesome as can be,yeah the avic.genus rocks:worship: good luck with all of your little ones.

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
First Kill

ahh the minitrix:clap: they are mini{D i have an adult female she's not big at all,but awesome as can be,yeah the avic.genus rocks:worship: good luck with all of your little ones.
Thanks beetleman, I bet your female minatrix is awsome looking.

Just when you got this hobby figured out something new happens. I figured that my 1/4 inch crickets may be a little bit to large for the 1/2 inch Avicularia minatrix. I ordered a bunch of pins overnight by 10:30AM tommorrow morning to avoid the noon sun and one of the eight Avicularia minatrix has a first kill. Here is a pic of a 1/2 inch Avicularia minatrix that has a body about 1/4 of an inch long with a cricket that is clearly over 1/4 of an inch long. It has the cricket around the neck. These are definitely pure preditor animals. This picture is a bit cloudy because the plastic is cloudy and scratched up.

I will still use the new pinhead crickets when I get them but it is awsome that they will drop prey as large in weight as they are.

BinarySpider2

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: oh yeah don't let their little size fool ya,they are aggressive little hunters:D

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Another Avicularia amazonica molted

Number four out of five of my Avicularia amazonica molted on Friday. Two of the four are a bit larger so far after they molted. One more to go. I allways feel better about a tarantula's well being after it successfully molts in my home.

Here is a picture of it right after the molt. You can see that the legs are still that typical post molt white cloudy coloration...

And here he/she is today, three days later. This one is pretty large. The legs and carapace are much darker today. You can see that I have sprayed down the inside of his/her home with water. Our moisture level today inside of the house is about 35% They need a higher level of humidity even with using damp coconut fiber as a substrate so I frequently spray the inside of their homes with water.

The more that I think about it the more I can not wait to see the largest available Avicularia species at 9_inches/228.6_mm. This will be one large tarantula. With the red abdomen, blue green legs and carapace, with white tipped or frosted hair that is so thick that the body difficult to even see. :drool::drool::drool: Sorry about that, I just can not wait, 2 years, 2009 in the summer. I think if possible I may try and get a quality shot of the amazonica and of the minatrix side by side to show the largest and smallest available Avicularia.

I bet he/she is hungry. I will feed him/her in three or four more days.

BinarySpider2