Avicularia bicegoi molted

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Cost

I spent $36.00 each on mine and that was for 1 inch Avicularia amazonicas, which are tiny little slings.

5 x $36.00 = $180.00 plus the overnight shipping. I normally have not seen them readily available in this country so I would consider them somewhat rare in this country. I had been looking for them for several months. Mine were in fact imported from overseas and Jason told me that he could only get 10 of them total. I was lucky that I called him when I did because I got his last five. Another hour and those would have been gone. Their availability very well could be different in Germany or other European countries but I really do not know for sure.

I know that I sure do wish that there was a better supply of all of the available Avicularia species within the hobby here in the United States. I guess that is why certain Avicularia species are sold out within a few hours after they are posted as for sale on the boards.

I am not sure of the value of a P. murinus anywhere on this planet. I am mainly staying with Avicularia new world arboreals for now.

BinarySpider2

Last edited:

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Photographs

wow u got some bue-tee-full T's. Id love to see some more pics!
Here are a few more photographs. I am not sure if I want to keep this tarantula or not. It is a ground dweller. I got it before I decided that I prefered the arboreal species. It is an Acanthoscurria geniculata or the "Giant White Knee". It is only about 2 inches long.

BinarySpider2

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
another great spider! i have 1 aswell in my forever growing collection{D you should keep it they make a great addition. except for the hairs...........ooooh:eek:

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
A Fresh Molt!

another great spider! i have 1 aswell in my forever growing collection{D you should keep it they make a great addition. except for the hairs...........ooooh:eek:
Thanks. I am still undecided but, I allready know as many of us do, I will be tight on space in a very short time as my arboreal collection increases. It is still a very awsome tarantula and will become an impressive sized tarantula. It acts like a lazy slug until I move the cage then it moves very fast.

I caught this one today. It had not molted yesturday so it is very fresh. This is my ninth Avicularia versicolor. This one is now 2.5 inches long from toe_to_toe. It is getting the red color in the abdomen and the carapace is getting the metallic green color. The legs still look to be the blueish color but appear to have some red hairs starting. I aquired this one from a local pet shop. Oddly enough the store manger said that she aquired it from...

http://www.botarby8s.com

which is where my other eight Avicularia versicolors came from. She said that it was in the store as for sale until I bought it. You can see the clear/cloudy coloration in the legs that is still fresh after the molt. They will darken up in few days.

BinarySpider2

Last edited:

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
again, just wait until they grow to this point!!!
Nice A.versi. I can not wait until mine get that large. This one finally darkened up a bit. This is not a great photo but you can defnitely see this T will be like your T in a few more molts. It is 3 inches long toe_to_toe completely stretched out.. .

BinarySpider2

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
7 of 9

Just when you think it will be a while before a molt another one goes ahead and molts. This is now number 7 of my 9 Avicularia versicolor that has molted. It was 1.25 inches long before this molt. It will be over 1.5 inches after this molt. At that size it will still be the blue green color overall. This one is very recent like within the hour...

As far as how many of my tarantulas have molted, so far...

2 of my 5 Avicularia amazonica
1 of my 8 Avicularia bicegoi
7 of my 9 Avicularia versicolor
0 of my 1 Psalmopoeus irminia
0 of my 1 Acanthoscurria geniculata

Wow, I have 24 tarantulas so far. I only need about 24 or 72 more.:)

BinarySpider2

Last edited:

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Oops, I just found another one of my Avicularia versicolor molted. It must of done it last night. Here is another pic of the one that just molted. At about 1.5 inches this Avicularia versicolor is still the typical blue green color. You can clearly see that the body is still has that cloudy transparent look to it. They are very soft and fragile at this point...

Here are a few pics of the one that molted last night. It is also about 1.5 inches long...

Now, as far as how many of my tarantulas have molted, so far...

8 of my 9 Avicularia versicolor

Wow, I have 24 tarantulas so far. I only need about 24 or 72 more.

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
9 of 9

My ninth of nine Avicularia versicolor just molted...

Now, as far as how many of my tarantulas have molted, so far...

9 of my 9 Avicularia versicolor

Well, the molt novelty has finally worn off. I guess becoming adults and maybe breeding them will be the next thing to get excited about.

BinarySpider2

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
{D So you're the reason why I can't buy any of these from botar you brought them all lol...{D .....just playing..beautiful spider....I have two versicolors...

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Another Molt

{D So you're the reason why I can't buy any of these from botar you brought them all lol...{D .....just playing..beautiful spider....I have two versicolors...
Right On. My big one really looks nice. It's legs are purple right now. I assume that is because it is between the blue and redish phase for the leg color. It has the green carapace and bright red abdomen.

Here is an odd story. Only 2 of my 8 Avicularia Bicegoi had molted so far. One of the 6 unmolted bicegoi was gorged from food. It hung with it's abdomen leaning to one side. I thought it was sick. Today it was laying on the substrate upside down. I thought it was going to die for sure. This is an arboreal laying on the substrate. I soaked it down with a spray bottle and went to the store. When I got back I found this...

It had molted. I think that this one was having troubles. All of the others have molted just fine. My moisture level is fine and my substrate is moist. It was odd but I think that getting it's body soaked may have helped soften up the exoskeleton enough for it to get out. Lucky Day.:)

Here is a nice photo of one with all of it's color...

BinaySpider2

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
beautiful:clap: i know it kinda scares ya when a treespider does something it's not supposed to do.

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Caught in the act.

I caught this one in the act. This is interesting. I live in area that has very low humidity that is often under 30%. I use a lot of water to dampen their substrate. Not swampy but extremely damp. It dries out completely in about three or four days. I do this about once a week usually on the weekend.

Anyway about an hour after I sprayed their cages down with water number six of my Avicularia bicegoi molted. Number seven is acting like it wants to molt.

Here are pictures of it still pulling out of the old exoskeleton...

BinarySpider2

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Avicularia amazonica

its amazing how they can do this in their webbing.
Absolutely. I just found that another one of my Avicularia amazonica slings had molted early this morning. I only have 5 of them and I thought this one was sick and maybe going to die. It was only getting ready to molt. Oddly this one had built a small web close to the substrate that was mixed with substrate and it stayed inside the web for a couple of days. I am currently keeping all of my Avicularia amazonica in 50 DRAM vials as their homes. I drilled three rows of 5/64 of an inch in diameter holes in the container and a few rows in the lid of the same diameter. I aquired the the vials from a member here named Anastasia. By saling them to me in smaller numbers she saved from having to buy them in a huge lot.

Again I aquired my Avicularia amazonica from...

http://www.southernspiderworks.com

Here is a current pic of a freshly molted Avicularia amazonica. They are all molting out at about 1.25 inches toe to toe. While I am no expert I really believe that these animals are going to get huge. I may need cages that are 18_x_18_x_36_ inches for them as adults. That may require some specialty cut sheet acrylic and some weld-on.

BinarySpider2