Avicularia bicegoi molted

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gorgeous :worship: :worship:

Yip I see the blue/green colour but it looks more blue in most pics but slightly greenish in pic 3.

Elaine

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Same Here.

Gorgeous :worship: :worship:

Yip I see the blue/green colour but it looks more blue in most pics but slightly greenish in pic 3.

Elaine
Same here, looking at the light between the hairs in the third picture appears to have a greenish tint to it. If you look at the very tips of the toes in the second picture and the third I see thin blueish lines. Anyway that is the casting that I was talking about. If you look at Massmorels photographs early on in this thread that one looks very blue and about a medium sized animal which I think is a very nice looking animal.

I think the lighting and the background has a lot to do with the photographs. The amazonica which is 5th up from the bottom at...

http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=8120

...looks to be more of greenish color and an adult. The next link is of course where I found that many people were having an issue with the purple one from Peru being called amazonica as well...

http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=9870

...also has a photo of the greenish colored one. The amazonica at...

http://johnx.smugmug.com/gallery/1220829/1/57142509#57142519

also looks to be an adult and also has a greenish/blue coloration. The amazonica at...

http://www.spiderlinge.de/baumgarten/templates/baumgarten3a/Arten/avispec.html

...looks to be very greenish in coloration.

I have wondered if this line of amazonica stays mostly blue throughout its life, which would fine with me, or gets more green as it becomes an adult, which would also be fine with me? Or could it be that they are very blue right after a molt then get more green as time passes until the next molt?

The one at...

http://www.terrino.de/item150170.html

...looks to be more of a dark purple/green color. This link has a tiny little sling...

http://www.reptipic.de/details.php?image_id=2083&sessionid=950870a8e27bd4fb643346d7eb9e8dcb

... which is difficult to tell at such a young age. The amazonica at this link...

http://www.theraphosids.com/species_photo_pages/A_sp_Amazonica_2.html

...is extremely blue in color. It has been very interesting watching mine change with each molt. The anticipation of what color will show up after each molt is getting very intense. Several more weeks until the next one molts again......

TIME...................................

CrypticDragon

Last edited:

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats the difficulty of the Avics, you just have to wait and see how they grow but also are you 100% sure that each of the photo's in the link are genuine A. amazonica? Some photo's look to be more green than blue and others more blue but it could just be down to camera angle, lighting, flash etc. so may not mean anything.
In all honesty, its such a confusing subject trying to ID Avics. We know when we have genuine A. versicolor, A. laeta, A. minatrix as they are quite distinct but when it comes to the others then thats where the difficulty lies as they are similar in colour especially as slings.
I have A. braunshauseni which look just like the A. sp. "guyana" but supposedly grow much bigger so I wont know until adult if they are the real thing or not.
The A. bicegoi is different again because there are supposed to be none in the hobby. I have 2 slings here but as there is nothing scientific to compare them to then I really dont know.

I think its just a case of waiting a few more moults or maybe send moults away to Ray Gabriel to study.

Your Avics are all beautiful no matter what they turn out to be. :D If you do have genuine A. amazonica then you will have real beauties there that a lot of people would love to have.
Elaine

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
I Guess When It Rains It Poors

Another amazonica just molted an hour ago. This one was very odd. It had an average sized abdomen, unlike the other two who had a huge bulging abdomens and the one who is getting close to a molt also has a bulging abdomen. I even put three crickets in with him/her in the cleaned cage and he/she made a small web just yesturday. Lucky for me I got home just as he.she was pulling the last couple of legs out of the exoskeleton. Those three crickets could have easily eaten this amazonica. I nabbed them with the 12 inch tweezers ASAP! From the photographs you can this amazonica is doing very well. One more amazonica to go in this series of molts

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Yep.

Thats the difficulty of the Avics, you just have to wait and see how they grow but also are you 100% sure that each of the photo's in the link are genuine A. amazonica? Some photo's look to be more green than blue and others more blue but it could just be down to camera angle, lighting, flash etc. so may not mean anything.
In all honesty, its such a confusing subject trying to ID Avics. We know when we have genuine A. versicolor, A. laeta, A. minatrix as they are quite distinct but when it comes to the others then thats where the difficulty lies as they are similar in colour especially as slings.
I have A. braunshauseni which look just like the A. sp. "guyana" but supposedly grow much bigger so I wont know until adult if they are the real thing or not.
The A. bicegoi is different again because there are supposed to be none in the hobby. I have 2 slings here but as there is nothing scientific to compare them to then I really dont know.

I think its just a case of waiting a few more moults or maybe send moults away to Ray Gabriel to study.

Your Avics are all beautiful no matter what they turn out to be. :D If you do have genuine A. amazonica then you will have real beauties there that a lot of people would love to have.
Elaine
Yea, I know the Avicularia species are skewed at best. My versicolor, bicegoi, and minatrix all came from...

http://www.botarby8s.com

...and I have read several discussions that the bicegoi and the huriana could be the same animal. I am not sure myself about that issue and personally I believe that absolutely without a full genetic analysis of all of those two species of animals we may never know 100% for sure. I guess that a color or physical difference is our best method of ID. Of course we would have to have access to the origional animal where ever it is stored to compare it with ours. Don't the entymologists call that morphology?

My amazonicas came from...

http://www.southernspiderworks.com

...which I was in close contact with one of the owners of SouthernSpiderWorks on this issue. I was told that all of mine came from the exact same source that massmorels came from. You can see his photographs on page one of these threads...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=92402

This does lead me to feel very positive that I have the real deal on my four amazonicas. I do agree though, I will probably have to wait for at least a couple more molts on these animals before I am absolutely sure that they are in fact the real species in question. In addition I was told this species will hit the 9 inch mark which is a very huge Avicularia, the largest of all Avicularia so far. Stay tuned to these threads from time to time. I plan to post my Avicularia species as they turn into adults. Thinking about that, it could be another year or two of posts.:eek:

As far as my photographs go, yes, the past six posts that I have made with pictures are of the same individual animal within each post. So if you read a single post of mine with photographs in it then that single post is the same individual animal with several photographs of it. And so like I said, the last six times that I posted with photographs, each individual post with several photographs in that one post is in fact of the same individual animal.

It is the lighting, sometimes I reduced the flash and sometimes I was shading one of the lights when I chose a certain camera angle. Indoor photgraphing can be a challenge. It would be nice to have a camera with an analog adjustment on the flash instead of just a few preset choices.

CrypticDragon

Last edited:

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Acanthoscurria geniculata molted again

Well, just when I thought it was sick because of lack of movement and no cricket consumption this animal goes and molts...

...in which it is well over 3 inches probably close to 4 inches toe to toe. I am still thinking about finding it a new home because of the space issue. This animal will need a 20gallonLong which is 30x12x12_inches when it gets to be an adult. I have four amazonicas that will need four huge homes maybe about like a 20gallonLong standing on end. I will need to modify a lid for it.

CrypticDragon

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: beautiful as always,yeah they do grow fast,mine is gettin pretty big also.

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Some more amazonica pics

Here are a couple more Avicularia sp "amazonica" photographs. It has completely filled out after the molt. While you can see by the abdomen that this one is very well fed and that it only just molted a week or two ago what color does this tarantula look like to you all?...

I just got a new flat screen monitor so it may take a few times to get the photographing down. What do you all think of the quality of these two photographs???

CrypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your A. genic is stunning. I cant wait until mine gets some colour. Its only around 1cm just now lol.

The A. sp. amazonica is gorgeous. In these photo's it shows more blue than blue/green. The photo's are excellent. Wish mine were that good :worship:

Elaine

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Your A. genic is stunning. I cant wait until mine gets some colour. Its only around 1cm just now lol.

The A. sp. amazonica is gorgeous. In these photo's it shows more blue than blue/green. The photo's are excellent. Wish mine were that good :worship:

Elaine

Thanks Elaine. Your little geniculata will get there. I think that my geniculata was under one inch when I got it and now it is getting much bigger. It has molted twice in about 6 months since I have had it.

I also think my amazonica currently have a lot of blue in them. In the right light and angle personally I can see a green casting. I wish that my fourth one would hurry up and molt. It is being very stuborn. I really hate it when they do that. One of my bicegoi was about two months behind some of the other bicegoi clutch mates for molting.

I got a 19" wide flat screen monitor a couple of days ago. They only included a VGA/Sub-D/analog cable so I am waiting on a DVI-D cable that should be here on Friday. That is why it is so hard to tell what the quality of the photographs are. The improvement in screen quality should be great after I install the new DVI-D digital cable.

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Do I Look Blue To You ??

This Avicularia sp "amazonica" is 24 hours after a molt. It is now over two inches toe to toe. I have one other one right behind it which will molt any day now, another one about a molt behind, and one more that is two molts behind this one. While over two inches toe to toe this one still has the red based abdomen and the tips of the toes are looking more pinkish in coloration. It also has the white or frosted tips on the longer hairs. Does this amazonica look blue to anybody else??

I will post some more photographs in a few days.:)

CrypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Woohoo I've been waiting so patiently for these pics :clap: :clap:

Definitely looking blue to me too. I cant wait until mine get that big. 1 of my 2 has moulted last week and measures approx 1inch. The legs were pink before the moult but now have a slight blue tint to them. Hope you dont mine me putting the pic in your thread. Just holler if you want me to remove it.

Elaine

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Woohoo I've been waiting so patiently for these pics :clap: :clap:

Definitely looking blue to me too. I cant wait until mine get that big. 1 of my 2 has moulted last week and measures approx 1inch. The legs were pink before the moult but now have a slight blue tint to them. Hope you dont mine me putting the pic in your thread. Just holler if you want me to remove it.

Elaine
Thanks Elaine. Absolutely, we should (((both))) continue to post their pics as they get larger for a good comparison. I would like very much to watch yours progress through each molt. That way any others interested in this species can watch them grow. Hey, where did you get yours from if you do not mind me asking??:confused:

I was just thinking the other day about a cage size for them. If they actually get up to a 9 inch size toe to toe then their adult cage will need to be very large. Imagine a hexagon base that is 16 inches across flat edge to flat edge shortest distance across. Then the sides could be running upward to 32 inches tall.:eek: That is about a 30 gallon hexagonal aquarium. I guess a 20 gallon aquarium standing on edge may be OK? Those are 30x12x12 and cost between 20 and 40 bucks.

I will post some more pictures of mine this weekend after it hardens up some more. I also need find and move it into a larger cage since it is to big for the large vials I am currently using...

CrypticDragon

Last edited:

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Mine came from a girl on another forum who got them from a dealer in Germany. I dont know who the German dealer is though.

Its good to watch how yours are doing after each moult to be able to give me an idea of what to expect with mine since there is virtually no information out there about them.
Like you I'm already planning ahead and will probably have to build my own enclosures for them when they mature.
If it helps any, I use these for my avic slings once they get to around 1 inch.

I bought them from Ikea for only £1.45 each. They measure 7" height x 6" length x 3" depth. I'm just getting some ready to rehouse my versi's into.

Elaine

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
I Decided To Use These...

Mine came from a girl on another forum who got them from a dealer in Germany. I dont know who the German dealer is though.

Its good to watch how yours are doing after each moult to be able to give me an idea of what to expect with mine since there is virtually no information out there about them.
Like you I'm already planning ahead and will probably have to build my own enclosures for them when they mature.
If it helps any, I use these for my avic slings once they get to around 1 inch.

I bought them from Ikea for only £1.45 each. They measure 7" height x 6" length x 3" depth. I'm just getting some ready to rehouse my versi's into.

Elaine
I got mine from...

http://www.southernspiderworks.com

...in which they were who imported them from Germany. I got five of them but one had a bad molt at a very young age around 3/4 inch and it died:(. BTW, it could be very possible that we have animals from the same breeder. I think that this is going to get very interesting to watch over the next few months.:)

That looks like a nice cage. I went ahead and used one of my mini herp havens that I have laying around. They are very small...

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=69

This amazonica seems to like the new cage. Since it is a hunter and recently molted I would bet it will eat by the weekend or even sooner. This is a photo of the underside at about 48 hours after the molt...

I will take some more top and side view photographs this weekend and I will post some of them.

CrypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could be right about the German breeder. I only have 2 at the moment but keeping my eyes open for another 2 or 3.
Sorry to hear 1 of yours died. I'm just about to feed the one that moulted last week. She ate only 2 days before moulting :eek:

Yours look great in the herp haven. The blue is very distinctive on the underside.

Elaine

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Check this out

You could be right about the German breeder. I only have 2 at the moment but keeping my eyes open for another 2 or 3.
Sorry to hear 1 of yours died. I'm just about to feed the one that moulted last week. She ate only 2 days before moulting :eek:

Yours look great in the herp haven. The blue is very distinctive on the underside.

Elaine
Check this link out Elaine. This person very clearly placed the correct label on these little slings. This person has honesty which is great! You can see that even at the first molt their abdomens have the black base hairs that are very short with the longer pinkish/red tipped hairs...

http://www.scolopendra.eu/viewtopic.php?p=5921&sid=fa8d6d6449daf98eef32f43a234b061f

...all of mine and your pictures clearly show the abdomen as a red based hair which is also discussed at this thread...

http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=9870

Look at the full grown adult near the very bottom of the page which is 5th up from the bottom at this link...

http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=8120

It has a very dense thick coat of hair even on the legs. The long hairs all have the white frosted tips and this one also has the short red base hairs covering the abdomen. Looking at all of the pictures of the Avicularia sp "amazonica" makes me wish it were around Xmas next year when they will be nearing full grown adults.

CrypticDragon