Avic Versicolor/Peru Purple/ Hybrid Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also as a note I am planning on working with a local university on this
If you knew anything at all, and had ever even talked with an academic, you'd know how utterly ridiculous and laughable this post is.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Sounds like this to me, too.
I agree.
Let's stop feeding it.

elvasco

Arachnopeon
So I'm more of a lurker than a poster but this always makes me curious. Has anyone ever crossed anything ridiculous? Say a OBT and T.blondi? Is that even possible?

Let me assure you all I think its a terrible idea and I'm against it for the reasons you've said (how do you know you can trust "good people" etc - That's actually the same reason I'm passionately against keeping potentially deadly animals/inverts. I know without a doubt some people on here are more than capable of keeping I'm just not as confident in their ability to judge character

I'm simply curious.

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm not buying the "research" part added on. True research would require some kind of hypothesis and testing, along with control groups, etc. Just one breeding isn't research - not in the least bit, and there's no university who would be involved. I am not saying that there is no real research that may involve creating hybrids, but the OP isn't doing it.

The OP said he just didn't want the male to go to waste, and found a supplier willing to take them (I didn't catch his post about that, but did see the responses). If they get sold to a supplier, they will end up being resold as something else. I can pretty much guarantee that. :embarrassed:

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I thought Avicularia naturally interbred in the wild? Am I mistaken?

I'll take one of the babies, if they come. Just send me a message. Not interested in breeding or selling - but I would love one of the babies.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I'm more of a lurker than a poster but this always makes me curious. Has anyone ever crossed anything ridiculous? Say a OBT and T.blondi? Is that even possible?
Generally not possible. Animals within the same genus are very closely related to each other, and this is generally where hybridization occurs. Animals belonging to different genera, and thus with more disparate characteristics are far less likely to interact with each other. This tends to apply across the board where hybridization occurs, to fish, reptiles, etc.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought Avicularia naturally interbred in the wild? Am I mistaken?

I'll take one of the babies, if they come. Just send me a message. Not interested in breeding or selling - but I would love one of the babies.
And what happens when you get burnt out on the hobby and dump your collection for next to nothing to "billy McFishbreath?"

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
And what happens when you get burnt out on the hobby and dump your collection for next to nothing to "billy McFishbreath?"
?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have no intentions of dumping my collection on anyone. These are my babies - I'd no sooner give them up than give up my dog.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have no intentions of dumping my collection on anyone. These are my babies - I'd no sooner give them up than give up my dog.
I've had to get out of the hobby twice before due to life circumstances, neither time did I ever plan on it. It may not happen to you, but the salient point is that selling T's to a responsible person doesn't guarantee they'll always live there. Life happens.

Not that it matters, this person isn't going to get a sac.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
?

That may be. But there are hundreds of people that dump collections all over the place. What happens when a supposed "trusted" individual has a hybrid loses interest in the hobby and dumps a collection? Then the hybridized critter is potentially back on the market for breeding....

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To stir the pot... I call bullcrap.

You would have mentioned this at the very beginning to justify your experiment if this was the truth. You've already said you were sending most of them to a major supplier:
No I didn't (do you read English?) Second do not call me a liar then you and I will have problems. My intention is to go to Vanderbilt and seek help...Being from Canada I doubt you even know what school I am talking about. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

I've had to get out of the hobby twice before due to life circumstances, neither time did I ever plan on it. It may not happen to you, but the salient point is that selling T's to a responsible person doesn't guarantee they'll always live there. Life happens.

Not that it matters, this person isn't going to get a sac.
Your probably right :clap:....Odds are against me :?...However experience is with me :D..So you never know..

Last edited by a moderator:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No I didn't (do you read English?) Second do not call me a liar then you and I will have problems. My intention is to go to Vanderbilt and seek help...Being from Canada I doubt you even know what school I am talking about. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Your probably right :clap:....Odds are against me :?...However experience is with me :D..So you never know..
Your Intention!?!?!? You haven't done this yet. You just plan on showing up to the school with a bunch of babies and say "here" research this please?

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure you have helped create a list of people that after reading this thread will not ever deal with you in the future when it comes to buying or trading T's. I know I'm one of them. :p

Mdcrinos

Arachnopeon
Things happen. I'm anti-hybrid but I have one.

I did not produce the sling, buy it, nor ask for it. It came in an order as a "freebie" and labeled as an x cross hybrid.

That said I don't plan on breeding or trading he/she and it is healthy and eating growing well so I dont relish the thought of destroying it.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your Intention!?!?!? You haven't done this yet. You just plan on showing up to the school with a bunch of babies and say "here" research this please?
No obviously not...I am going tomorrow to talk to someone in the biology department. So we will see if there is any interest. If not I will do it myself. But I personally won't be surprised if there is some interest. My uncle majored in science and gave me the idea. Nothing can hurt from seeking extra help and if the answers no at least I tried

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's how it works in Tennessee!! :rolleyes: I'm surprised you didn't know that.{D

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I'm pretty sure you have helped create a list of people that after reading this thread will not ever deal with you in the future when it comes to buying or trading T's. I know I'm one of them. :p
Me too!

Things happen. I'm anti-hybrid but I have one.

I did not produce the sling, buy it, nor ask for it. It came in an order as a "freebie" and labeled as an x cross hybrid.

That said I don't plan on breeding or trading he/she and it is healthy and eating growing well so I dont relish the thought of destroying it.

I have a couple as well. All from a couple of "collections" I bought... But... Will "Billy McFishbreath with his birthday money" be smart like you Mdcrinos?

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey man thats your loss..your choice..no hair off my back..
I have Xenesthis sp. White and Pamphobeteus ultramarinus that I will be pairing up soon. I am sure niether species interests you if I have success but thats on you.;P

Mdcrinos

Arachnopeon
Likely not thus the reason I'm anti-hybrid. I wasn't defending the production and don't want one even if it is labeled as a sp from the home state LMAO.

I was just saying that sometimes even responsible owners end up with them.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey man thats your loss..your choice..no hair off my back..
I have Xenesthis sp. White and Pamphobeteus ultramarinus that I will be pairing up soon. I am sure niether species interests you if I have success but thats on you.;P
Thats ok! Everyone will be paranoid wondering "What" you are pairing them up with. Obviously if you have those kinds of high end species and you are perfectly ok with hybridizing to checkout pretty colors and sizes "in the name of science..." Then you are what I have dubbed peopl in the past and will dub you as well... A hack!

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats ok! Everyone will be paranoid wondering "What" you are pairing them up with. Obviously if you have those kinds of high end species and you are perfectly ok with hybridizing to checkout pretty colors and sizes "in the name of science..." Then you are what I have dubbed peopl in the past and will dub you as well... A hack!
Ok let me get this striaght you are dubbing me a hack cause I chose to hybridize one pair of T's as an experiment. Actually in my opinion I would be the exact opposite if I have success. Most people have problems breeding the same species let alone different species. So that comment was short sighted. Also yes I have very high end T's and no I would never hybridize them and I would watch very carefully about saying thats what I will do. And yes all this is in the name of science thats how we learn...

Status
Not open for further replies.