Genus Aphonopelma

Smokehound714

Arachnoking

One of my unusually adult-looking juvie A. eutylenum-type. Pretty defensive, but once it realizes im not prey, it's quite bold and curious.

Another shot of it enjoying a gravid prekilled gryllus.

Mature female aphonopelma eutylenum-type.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking

Pic i took a while back of my large female aphono eating a big fat lined sphinx (hyles lineata)

The moth emerged improperly, and would not feed.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking

freshly molted juvenile unknown. Could be eutylenum-type, could be an intergrade between reversum and 'eutylenum'. Was found high on a steep hill, burrow was on the side of the hill, Reversum-style.

Better shot of my mature female..

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Got my better camera and took a few pics of my A eutylenum (may actually be reversum), and my big female 'Eutylenum-type'

'Eutylenum-type'

I cant get over how beautiful she is.. I want her to molt so bad, she'll look spectacular!

Aphonopelma eutylenum (possibly reversum, due to habitat type) The area where these two were collected is extremely high in diversity, in one little spot, you can find Bothriocyrtum californicum, Aphonopelma eutylenum, the 'eutylenum-types', and reversum, which favors hillsides, unlike other aphonopelma.

azroc909

Arachnosquire
Well I could say I got extremely lucky with this species outcome of an egg sac. I originaly had this female for couple years now and finally happened to come across a mm for her. I paired them in her cage well he was there a little over a week when I found out she ate him just leaving some legs behind. lol. then to find out few weeks later she drop and egg, and now I have some eggs with legs. :angelic: should be available soon!

Aeutylenum2.jpg Aeutylenum.jpg Aphonopelmaeutylenum.jpg

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Went out a few days ago to one of my favorite spots. It helps clear your head as well. ;)
Habitat(photo was dark so i had to edit it.)

Native "prickly purple thing"

Adult female in natural light. (HIGHLY underrated species IMO)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I am loving those prickly purple things. Imagine the irony (and artistic contrast) of a few of them in an orange bitey things cage?

Beautiful tarantula! I definitely want to add a native T to my collection soon. It's wild for me to imagine that they just wander around in some parts of the USA, living in Pennsylvania my whole life.

Wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it just me or do the right legs III and IV look like they'd been lost and regenerated?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it just me or do the right legs III and IV look like they'd been lost and regenerated?
Hey I didn't even notice that! Wish I kept the subject! It could be the lighting/shadow's playing with the view of it. But they do look smaller.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Aphonopelma ??? dwarf species from OC. She's mature at only one inch in body length. She dropped a dud sac recently.

She's pretty cool looking :D

Aphonopelma iodius 5.5" female

3" Iodius juvenile

My mature female eutylenum-type molted recently, color changed dramatically..

She's still pretty cool looking, but she looked better before the molt IMO, lol

mature male eutylenum-type

Arrgh why do the males always have to look so cool? If i had a mature female that had those colors, it'd be amazing.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

A relative of mine found this guy while on a trip to Big Bend. I'm surprised that Ts are out in November, but I'm told there were lots (kinda wish I had gone with em haha). I'm also surprised to see a MM Aphonopelma that isn't all black. I'm think it's a really cool shot since the hooks are visible in the shadow, my cousin's not an invert guy and has no idea he captured that detail.

Any idea what kind he is?

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
These were all shot with a 105mm macro lens. The molts were floating in a Petri dish on a white counter using a handheld headlamp as a light source. I took these in the summer, but if I recall, the darker ones were taken with the light at a very oblique angle, and I'm sure I adjusted exposure and contrast in post-processing.

---------- Post added 11-29-2014 at 09:33 PM ----------

In a Petri dish in slightly soapy water, I mean.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
These were all shot with a 105mm macro lens. The molts were floating in a Petri dish on a white counter using a handheld headlamp as a light source. I took these in the summer, but if I recall, the darker ones were taken with the light at a very oblique angle, and I'm sure I adjusted exposure and contrast in post-processing.

---------- Post added 11-29-2014 at 09:33 PM ----------

In a Petri dish in slightly soapy water, I mean.
Thanks! I was hoping you were going to say with some hobbyist microscope. Unfortunately all my lenses aren't macro. Nice shots.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
I have also had very good success with extension tubes, which are quite a bit cheaper. My macro is an old one I picked up on eBay, but still was pricier than extension tubes.