Genus Aphonopelma

tetracerus

Arachnosquire

My first T ever, the wild-caught A chalcodes that got me into the hobby, right after a molt. Confirmed female from spermethecae sexing.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Aphonopelma ??? dwarf species from OC. She's mature at only one inch in body length. She dropped a dud sac recently.

She's pretty cool looking :D
Indeed she is! :) I think she may be an Aphonopelma steindachneri (see Hamilton et al. 2016 ZooKeys 560).

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Indeed she is! :) I think she may be an Aphonopelma steindachneri (see Hamilton et al. 2016 ZooKeys 560).
Actually she ended up being a small eutylenum that matured at a small size. That post was before i boned up on aphonopelma knowledge.

Steindachneri are much larger, a uniform dark chocolate brown, and have much shorter setae, giving them a velvety appearance

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Actually she ended up being a small eutylenum that matured at a small size. That post was before i boned up on aphonopelma knowledge.

Steindachneri are much larger, a uniform dark chocolate brown, and have much shorter setae, giving them a velvety appearance
Good to know! Thank you! I am a total newbie when it comes the different species of Aphonopelma -- until this paper I thought there were only 4 or 5 species! :embarrassed: I love this genus's subtle colorings and hope to acquire more of them (right now have an A. chacoldes and unidentified gray sling).

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Good to know! Thank you! I am a total newbie when it comes the different species of Aphonopelma -- until this paper I thought there were only 4 or 5 species! :embarrassed: I love this genus's subtle colorings and hope to acquire more of them (right now have an A. chacoldes and unidentified gray sling).
do you know where the lil grey one came from? It looks like something in the hentzi complex (hentzi, anax, armada)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
do you know where the lil grey one came from? It looks like something in the hentzi complex (hentzi, anax, armada)
I thought that I was told Arizona, which would make those species unlikely, but perhaps I misremember? The dealer is from southeast New Mexico. If it is indeed from the hentzi complex then I think it most be A. hentzi, which are lovely tarantulas, but I confess I was hoping this one would keep its gray color! :embarrassed:

Thank you for your help! May I ask what characteristics suggest which complex it belongs to?

ryan w

Arachnopeon
WP_20160703_008.jpg WP_20160703_007.jpg Thought I would add my lil a.caniceps as I'm quite proud of him/her. It's actually moulted again since this pic and not that slow a grower for an aphonopelma. It's outgrowing a g.pulchripes that were the same size when I got them.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Surprised it took this long for these to show up now that there is a cheat sheet for people to find native Aphonopelma lol. I have noticed a increase of species available since the revision. Do you have females for it ?

Later, Tom
I haven't really seen any in trade myself, but When I found out there was a new T species named after Johnny Cash local to my area I had to go out and find some!

I actually do not have a girl for him but I think someone near me might so I'll see about getting him a date, he runs laps around his enclosure at night so I'm pretty sure he's ready for action :smug:

Oh and, LEEWAY is one of the best bands ever. Ever.