Genus Aphonopelma

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
The girl in the above photo has since molted, and I've got a few other Aphonos to show off.

Aphonopelma sp. Waconum, Adult Female "Mustache" since molt

Aphonopelma sp "Cochise" Adult Female "Lucinda" (suspected to actually be A. punzoi by myself and an expert)

Aphonopelma sp. Hualapai dwarf, Adult Female "Tank" (caught in the Hualapai mtns, no word on if that counts as a species name yet)

Aphonopelma sp. Cochise County again - completely different spider than the other. Suspected Carlsbad Green. Adult female, "Genie"

Enjoy! :)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking

Beautiful 2" BL aphonopelma from Orange County. The substrate came from eroded deposits of sandstone with high clay content. Very beautiful substrate, very stable and perfect for burrowers.

Sex unknown, will wait until its next molt to find out for sure.

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Well, now that i know what an epiandrous furrow is, i now know she's a FEMALE Sweet!

Took some much crisper and vivid photos of her:

That's the best i can do without a nice camera setup, i had to use my phone :p

IRL, her colors are amazing. The lighter portions of her legs have a fiery brilliant copper sheen to them, and her carapace is an awesome iridescent blonde. Cant wait to get some slings :D

Ive seen several aphonopelma here, however this is the most beautiful one I've seen, so far!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Epigastric furrow ;)

She's a nice one. Go find a reversum... Those are really impressive!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Epigastric furrow ;)

She's a nice one. Go find a reversum... Those are really impressive!
Lol i meant to say epiandrous fusillae :laughing:

I know for a fact reversum is found in orange county. I think I know just where I can find some reversum, in addition to that, the area I speak of actually has some chalcodes at the lower elevations.

Last edited:

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol i meant to say epiandrous fusillae :laughing:

I know for a fact reversum is found in orange county. I think I know just where I can find some reversum, in addition to that, the area I speak of actually has some chalcodes at the lower elevations.
Chalcodes in O.C.??? You sure?? Chalcodes are found WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY east of O.C.... Like Arizona east.
And you are right, reversum can be found in O.C. Scope the same habitat type I told you and you will find them... You know what ensatina are? Pretty much anywhere you will find ensatina, you can potentially find reversum. Along the coastline, there is a medium sized jet black species that has a dark bronze/black, almost heart shaped urticating patch. A really cool species. Just north of O.C. there is a small, super stocky and jet black dwarf with a heart shaped urticating patch. It is the coolest species I have found in California. I have always wante to go find more, but have not been successful after the first find. Supposedly, they are found from the coast to the low coastal scrub in the mountains. I found mine around the vicinity of castaic.. northbound, but they are supposed to be found down into O.C. as well. I dunno.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Chalcodes in O.C.??? You sure?? Chalcodes are found WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY east of O.C.... Like Arizona east.
And you are right, reversum can be found in O.C. Scope the same habitat type I told you and you will find them... You know what ensatina are? Pretty much anywhere you will find ensatina, you can potentially find reversum. Along the coastline, there is a medium sized jet black species that has a dark bronze/black, almost heart shaped urticating patch. A really cool species. Just north of O.C. there is a small, super stocky and jet black dwarf with a heart shaped urticating patch. It is the coolest species I have found in California. I have always wante to go find more, but have not been successful after the first find. Supposedly, they are found from the coast to the low coastal scrub in the mountains. I found mine around the vicinity of castaic.. northbound, but they are supposed to be found down into O.C. as well. I dunno.
Chalcodes, indeed. I'll tell you where, essentially, they are on the very outskirts of east oc.

Large solifugae there, too.

Tarantula96

Arachnopeon
New Aphonopelma Species (Hentzi or Anax?)

My new t came today from BugsInCyberspace and she's great! I'm not exactly sure what Aphonopelma species she is because when I ordered her of the website, it just said "aphonopelma sp" but I've been observing her and I believe she's a Texas Brown. The gender also wasn't specified but I'm calling it a female in hopes that it actually is a female and also I observed the pedipalps and hers are even at the tips with the rest of the legs where a males pedipalps are kind of bulbous at the end. I will try to get some pics for the sexing forum later. ANYWAY here she is.

EDIT-I've been further researching and It looks like it could also be an Aphonopelma anax. I am still no where near certain as to what exact species she is.

Attachments

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Aphonopelma "OC". (phanum?)

Posted most of those already, but decided to post them all here.

Very difficult to photograph, her colors just don't show right, photo 2 captures the colors best. Not so sure she's the 'eutylenum-type' undescribed species.

New specimen, same locale!

Only this one is huge, mature, and BEAUTIFUL!

Look at those colors!

Last edited: