Genus Aphonopelma

katgrogan

Arachnopeon
Back to say the little one is alive and well and cute as can be! Took a few photos today..one to maybe get a hint or finally determine the sex..and a few just for fun!

humbug.jpg
tarantula sexing 2.jpg
cutie.jpg

katgrogan

Arachnopeon
tarantula.jpg
Just one more!

I got to see him drink from a water dish for the first time. That was unbelievably cute! :love:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You should be able to sex him/her on the next molt. Providing you get a good molt, and know what to look for. I wouldnt bother with a water dish just yet. I usually dont give any to mine, depending on species, until they hit 3" or more. And judging by the 2nd pic, (i suck at ventral sexing), you have a female.

katgrogan

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I guess I'll take it out. It just was so dry here lately and I had a little dish small enough that it would be safe I thought he would appreciate it. He sure drank from it for a while! But he hasn't been acting like he's had troubles without the dish or anything.

Haha, yeah, someone in the gallery says that picture looks like a boy, so I guess I really will be waiting for a molt to see. He last molted like..this january I think? Measuring diagonally, he's about 2", maybe a little smaller. Hard to say really, I'm new to this.

I wonder when the next molt will be. I know these guys are slow growers, so I'm prepared to wait a while. And the longer the better, especially if it is a boy, I'd like him to stick around for as long as possible!

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
PICT0042 (2).JPG

Please post your cochise photos!! a beautiful species that doesn't have much exposure. please inform if this has been renamed/classified. Thanks!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Aphonopelma cf burica (aka, A. crinirufum) This is the female responsible for most if not all of the "Blue fronts" in the U.S. The blue is a more vibrant in younger spiders, and fades with age as seen in this fresh molted female.

Later, Tom

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From leg to leg it was between 3-4 inches so it wasn't very big, it had just rained so the tarantulas were out on the prowl.

ddfghdrt.JPG gffdh.JPG

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aphonopelma burica ~2.0". Growing much faster than anticipated and now seen out of their burrows more frequently.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Just some pictures of a female Aphonopelma hentzi throughout her life.

At .5"

At 1.25" in heavy pre-molt

At 1.75" post-molt

Exuvia showing spermathecae

At 2.25"

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find these when I'm out collecting Scolopendra heros. But I'm not planning on hitting up that area this year. KenTheBugGuy will probably be your best line on these. Good luck!

Akai

Arachnobaron
beautiful. What is there range? Is it limited to Arizona?