Genus Aphonopelma

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The best working name for "Thistle" is A. burica
Thanks, Tom. I received Thistle (hope it's a she!) and some sac mates as A. crinirufum, but had also heard them referred to as A. burica. I didn't know which came first, the chicken or the egg... Since so many still call them A. crin, what is the best way to refer to them to insure no confusion?

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Not the best pic, but had to share because its funny to me...

Helena, queen of the water bowl...

Step 1: Clean dirt & moss from water bowl
Step 2: Refill water bowl (with water)
Step 3: Wait for seemani to refill water bowl (with dirt & moss)
Repeat.
Except lately, she's been either perching on top of OR cramming herself into the dirt filled bowl. Silly.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Thanks, Tom. I received Thistle (hope it's a she!) and some sac mates as A. crinirufum, but had also heard them referred to as A. burica. I didn't know which came first, the chicken or the egg... Since so many still call them A. crin, what is the best way to refer to them to insure no confusion?
Sometime in 2005ish a few "blue fang" Aphonopelma where imported into the US as A. crinirufum. Another dealer had the same spider's labeled as A burica. They were all the same spiders from the same import. To make a long story short, my stock that I raised , bred, and hatched was sold to me as A. crinirufum, so I sold them under that name, and they were distributed in the hobby/dealers under that name.

I had the opportunity to breed this species again with someone's male from the same stock mine came from, also sold under the name "A. crinirufum" so once again the slings I hatched are being sold under the same incorrect name.

I'm partly responsible for the confusion, since I'm the only person to hatch them in the U.S. , but I simply sold them under the name they where sold to me as. Compared to pics on Rick West site , you can decide what you have???

Aphonopelma burica

Aphonopelma crinirufum

Later, Tom

katgrogan

Arachnopeon
I got a new camera lens for Christmas, so I took a quick snapshot of my new little spider... It's not the best, but I like the atmosphere of the image!

Hopefully I will get better and better pictures soon, and then if this little guy or gal molts in my care, I'll post an image of that to see if you guys can help me figure out the sex! :biggrin:

Looks like such a big spider in the image! He/she is really just sooo tiny!

tfd6506

Arachnopeon
Nice! Cant wait till my hentzi gets to that size, little bugger is only 3/4" at the moment. I have a looooooong wait judging from the general slow rate of growth for this genus!

katgrogan

Arachnopeon
Aww that sounds adorable! I saw a picture of a spiderling of this species and they are freaking cute! :) Wow, I had no idea they were such slow growers. I remember my cousins finding a HUGE one, as big as my hand, I wonder how old that one was!

tfd6506

Arachnopeon
wow, one time in 14 months at 2" that's insane! I read that they take 8 to 10 years to get to adult size, so at 3/4" I have a long wait for mine! ;)

katgrogan

Arachnopeon
Sounds like the same goes for me! I'm not sure what measurements you are talking about when you say 3/4" (still BRAND new to Ts) so I'm not sure how big to say mine is. I hope I do alright taking care of him/her! lol, I have a lot of questions, so I'm trying my best to use the search button for everything I can before asking something that's been asked a million times over!

katgrogan

Arachnopeon
Anyway, here is a photo of his or her size right now. Think when he/she eventually molts I will be able to sex it easily?

katgrogan

Arachnopeon
is he at the size where a small water dish is appropriate, or should I still wait?

Right now the T has started burrowing and right up against the glass, which means I get to see the whole burrow! It's really cool!

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
Reviving this thread. lol. its got so many pages. lol. all i can say is wow. the info you guys have posted has enlightend me a lot. lmao. so im getting a 4 inch A.ssp flagstaff orange soon, and my A. moderatum is coming on tuesday. i guess i have a long long wait growing up the moderatum. what fun thats going to be. im going to be old and gray with a T that out lives me. LMAO! its going to be interesting to what. and wait. and see. everyones pictures are so different. some more orange for the flagstaff, some more defined on markings. some that you cant even see the markings. wow. im nervous about the one im getting now. will she have the defined colors or just be all blended? wondering is gonna drive me crazy! hehehehe. im not even going to try with the baby moderatum.:o_O:will keep all updated and post pics of course.

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
Here are my two Aphonopelma. Firstly my A.chalcodes, I know its a little overweight, and its currently being fed less to try and help it shed some pounds.

And my A.moderatum which I got this morning :)