Anyone Never Handle Their Tarantula?

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't handle mine. Since we are on the subject of maintaince.... I need to purchase some tweezers or forceps. I would rather not spend a ton of money. Does anyone have any ideas of were to buy reasonably priced tools that would be appropriate for cage maintainance?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I personally never handle my T's.1.simply because most of my T's are pokies and 2.I prefer to not give them any more stress or risk them accidently being injured because of my desire to hold them.

When I do tank maintenance,for my more aggressive T's,I plan it on a feeding day.Throw a couple cricks in and wait til they have begun eating.Then I do any tank maintenance I need to do .This method has never failed me yet even with the most aggressive of my T's.They are already occupied with some good grubbin's:}
Me and the Hap have a great thing going wouldn't want to spoil it due to stressing her unnecessarily. And simply the fact you do not handle this species.

I do have a tight-jawed female rosea (but fortunately, not a hair-kicker) which I readily pick up by pinching the cephalothorax with forefinger and thumb.

More Ts will be under my care soon though none handable. In fact I don't handle any of my inverts because I enjoy a happy healthy self-absorbed pet that is feeding and active.

Against handling and frankly experience no compulsion to do it.

As far as tank maintenance is concerned, well, the Hap is a night owl. Sometimes I drop crickets in there in mid-afternoon and they kick it but by dawn they're gone. No worries though.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Being new to this hobby, I've never touched a Tarantula, except for Larry, my Lasiodora parahybana sling. Don't really plan on it, either, after reading about flickin hairs and agressive tendencies, lol. I find a 3cc syringe with a 20 gauge needle attached works great for topping off water containers, from a distance!

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I handle only the most non- agresiv tarantulas. Rose hair chaco golden knee and so on

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have handled mine in the past but decided against it so except for a sling here and there I never handle mine anymore.

MelGibson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i handle most of my Ts. My rosies, payson blondes, any of my Avicularia spp will never bite no matter what i do and i have no fear of dropping them because of thier claws which will cling on to you good enough for you to hold em upside down (which you should never do)!!!!! but the Avicularia spp can be fast and will jump out of your hands so watch out! my L.Parahibana is handleable but i dont hold him much cause he just runs to my back. my P. marinus and H. lividum are just too scary for me to hold. one day ill get over the fear tho. I HOPE :liar:

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will handle most of my T's, but the ones that demand respect get given it. And it is better to leave them alone. :)

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, I think that handling or at least interacting with your animals to a certain extent is a good thing. I think that the interaction helps the keeper feel for the animal witch makes the keeper care more about their animals. In the end the animal gets better care because of it.

I draw the line when the interaction is overly stressful or dangerous for the animal, though.

Always the best of care when picking up my babies <3 I love them soooo much and would hate to see something happen to them.

citizen_smithi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, I think that handling or at least interacting with your animals to a certain extent is a good thing. I think that the interaction helps the keeper feel for the animal witch makes the keeper care more about their animals. In the end the animal gets better care because of it.

I draw the line when the interaction is overly stressful or dangerous for the animal, though.

Always the best of care when picking up my babies <3 I love them soooo much and would hate to see something happen to them.
Exactly the same here - just last night I was rehousing my juve N colloratovilosus (2"), and it was the first time i'd had to handle her (just feel it in my bones it's a girl, dunno why!) and immediately after "she" had takne her fat scruffy little bum off my hand into her new digs, she officially became the cutest little creature on Earth! Not that her care was substandard before or anything, but like you say it gives you the feeling of a "bond" with 'em when they've spent time walking around on your "trusted" paws!

I don't really handle them unless they're small and still slow, or if they happen to be walking up the side and then I might let 'em on my hand, but I never go and just start messing with 'em or yanking them outta their homes coz I feel like holding 'em, because I think "that'd p me off if i was a Tarantula! so I leave them be.

Tuwin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 7 T's and i have never held or handled any of them. When i was putting my Versicolor in her new home she jolted up my arm and i had to pick her up to get her into her home but other than that i have never handled my T's

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't handle mine.

I'm not saying that if one got loose or whatever I'd go out of my way to not pick it up, but I don't handle mine on a regular basis at all.

I'm not really scared of being bitten or anything and I've held some in the past, but since I keep mainly NW, I don't enjoy having hairs all over me.

If I have to do transfer or anything, I use a cup and a piece of cardboard.

Archnophil

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im new at the keeping aspect of Ts but i dont plan to handle mine ever....If i need to i will and i have handled Ts before. But i dont see the enjoyment in streessing the animal and causing an accident that could have just as easily been avioded.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Blahhh,

I handle some of my T's and have respecctfully "Held" others. It just depends on the T and the type of species. My am very cautious and respectful of the OW T's, it's better to look at those ones and not touch.

Setian

Arachnopeon
I don't really handle mine much. I have a female avic that I have taken out to show people here and there but the novelty kinda wore of fast. Having said that I see no problems with people handling them. There is a lot of high and mighty people that will tell you what to do and what not to, but they are your Ts so I feel its up to the owner.
Might just be my Libertarian streak.

To handle or not to handle may be the question, but the only answer that matters is your own.

My 2 cents

Atrax1207

Arachnopeon
I handle all of my T's too, but for cage cleaning I use 6 inch tweezers and 5" brush.

Bye

ttula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont handle mine. I use tweezers and tupperware for maintenance and rehousing. I have to say I dont have any problem feeling for them without handling them...

LEGERE

Arachnopeon
I only own a G Rosea right now and she's very friendly-like. I handle her occasionally like some on here to show her to a friend or my son or even just to admire her beauty. She's pretty curious when I go in and usually walks right on my hand without much asking. She seems to know when she's back in her home because she will slowly and calmly walk off and go look around for her favorite corner.

I may be doing things differently than others but I know this works with her. I would never try with some of the other T's I've seen on here for fear of it getting loose of getting bitten. With her I'm comfortable and I think she is comfortable with me.

Good luck in finding the answers you're looking for!

unitard311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i held my g. rosea once at the store. i just tried again but she freaked me out, i just don't have the nerve to keep my hand in there when she outs up her legs and moves towards me haha. well not yet....

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i had to handle my male G. rosea, at first i didnt want to because every time i tried to move him with the cup method he would get aggro on me until one day when i had to clean the tank he tagged my thumb while i was holding the cup in front of him. I found out, he hates the cup and the cup only, its like a giant evil moving borrow to him, but if i just use my hands, he knows what they are and willingly goes along for the ride. funny, he hates that cup with a passion

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not a fan of handling...I have a pretty wicked reaction to urticating hair (blisters, then skin peeling, intense itching for weeks). I'll do so if absolutely necessary, but otherwise, I keep Ts like I do fish.