Anyone Never Handle Their Tarantula?

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I handled my 10inch MM blondi a few times when I saw he was out walking around. I hold all my other ones too- you can tell when they want to be held or not- If they act edgy then I just leave them be. They don't get anything out of it and I just get a slight thrill. Suprisingly, uritating hairs don't do ANYTHING to me- which is esp weird because I have sensitive skin

unitard311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok so in my last post i wasn't down with holding her. however, after my trip to the reptile fair i learned that there isn't anything to be worried about. now i hold my rosie and she doesn't appear to hate it. she is very soothing and calm. it's a neat experience.

slinky1000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
never

Hi,
I only have a G. Rosea, but dont handle her. i use small forceps for removing carcasses, but use my hand to remove and fill water dish, she tends to just hide when i'm messing in her tank.
ken

jellybean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my auntie has never handled her mexican red knee and shes had it for over 17yrs, it goes crazy if you so much as look in its direction

Wickedreptile

Arachnopeon
I don't handle mine. I am afraid they will get hurt. I use tweesers and forcerps and coke bottle methad to do maintence.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I normally just prod them gently with my hand to the other end of their home. Neither one bothers me at all while cleaning. Gimli has to be picked up hes too stubborn to be prodded most times but I normally leave them within their enclosures.

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I handle my T's, but ONLY cage maintenance and Its a good photo op. too :D

For cleaning dead crickets, cleaning the water dish and getting them out I use tongs, a paintbrush and for the ones that like to climb on them to bite me or run away, I use a stick. Thick enough to push them out but thin enough to not climb on.
My Lividum seems to comply with my stick more than my brush so she's kinda easy to get on my hand or any container. She goes ballistic on my brush:D

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't handle mine, I tend to use tongs and cups to do all of my moving. When I first got my A. avicularia I "handled" it, by which I mean I was a novice keeper used to my boring 8+ yr old rosehair and did not expect to find the avic up my arm and on my shoulder immediately after opening the cup to put it in its new home. {D

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't handle noon of my Ts, not my adult Rosie, or my two baby OBTs.

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont handle any of my inverts. I look at them like fish great to look at and enjoy buy not to handle

Locutus

Arachnopeon
I don't handle them either. I also look at them like fish; that's the reason why I enjoy decorating the adult T's enclosures.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont handle my Ts anymore since I accidently killed my Rosie by transferring pesticide to her. :(

Partly why I got into old world species - the venom makes me not WANT to hold them. Although my new H.mac sure is cuddly looking.

Moultmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont handle my Ts anymore since I accidently killed my Rosie by transferring pesticide to her. :(

Partly why I got into old world species - the venom makes me not WANT to hold them. Although my new H.mac sure is cuddly looking.
Who wouldn't wanna hold this beauty?

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I only handle my rosie, when I bring her out to do educational presentations. I see no need to handle them otherwise. It just stresses them out, and U-hairs don't agree with me, anyways.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its an old thread but I'll bite.

I hold my my A. Chalcodes, G. Aust. and one of my rose hairs.

The rest of mine are either hair kicking brachys or to prone to bite.

I'm not big on holding my T.s anyway, they don't really like it. I see these videos of people doing it and for the most part the T. is just stressed out.

I know people will disagree, but alot of the time,with the younger male crowd its just a macho thing " hey look at me I am so cool I can handle my OBT" or other aggresive T.

I could hold my Brachys if I wanted ,I just prefer the look of them without bald behinds.

But as they say, to each his own. {D {D {D

Last edited:

mattie

Arachnopeon
Who wouldn't wanna hold this beauty?

imo it shouldnt be "who wouldnt want to hold this", but "would this want to be held" and in the case of any T the answer is no, if someone holds a T and gets bit well it was there descision and they know the risk, i really couldnt care less, the only thing is after receiving a bite chances are your gonna flinch and the already stressed T is gonna bolt, usually to the floor. imo holding a T is putting that animal at risk, if we put any other animal in a high risk situation chances are we would face prosucution, why should a T be any differant? does it not deserve the same rights as any other creature? I see this as a bit of a oxymoron on one hand we are saying Ts are a miss understood animal and deserve respect, but on the other hand are disrespecting them ourselves, doesnt make sense to me

just my two cents
Matthew Davies

Last edited: