Anyone Never Handle Their Tarantula?

The_Monk

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone never handle their tarantula? Just curious because a lot of people have some pretty aggressive t's and wondered how you cleaned the tank?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I never handle any of mine. I use long tweezers and forceps when I need to do maintenance. I've used the "coke bottle" method to move spiders around (OW and NW) and just plain tupperware.

Turkey baster to fill up water when I need to.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I never handle any of mine. Forceps, a paintbrush, "coke bottle" method and a piece of cardboard.

Water spray bottle.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i handle my rosea from time to time but thats usually because shes curious and crawls on me while im doing maintenance. She likes to play tug-o-war with the stuff in her tank, including my hand which i find rather amusing.

The rest of them though i use tweezers, and would never handle them, or my rosie either unless she invites her self out.

I dont do the baster thing though, i just put the water dishes in an easy to get to area and either open the tank really quickly or drip the water through the mesh

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I handle several of mine. But the ones that I don't handle I use long forceps and tweezers and a brush. I just remove water dishes with my hands or with the forceps, and food boluses with my plastic tweezers.

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't handle any of my T's, 12' tweezers are used when cleaning the dead cricket bodies up. I put fresh water in all their tanks everyday and use extreme care while doing so. Depending my female T.blondi's mood, I sometimes gently cover her hide entrance with a piece of cardboard when doing the more time consuming maintenance tasks. I don't handle my T's because they might get hurt.

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont handle my 2 P. lugardi's, and My G. rosea is a sweetheart and dosnt seem to care if I put my hands in her cage to remove things, I dont know what the "coke bottle" method is but if I need to move my T's I put a small kritter keeper in front of them and use a brush to urge then forward.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
My policy is never. Transfers are done with bottles or cups. The exception to this is my 9 y/o B. smithii, she freaks if a cup comes near her. When I first adopted her I tried to get her in cup. It was a no-go. However, she is perfectly happy to be picked up, and set down somewhere else. She just goes limp. Go figure!

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Before this thread turns into yet another handling debate, I would suggest that those who are interested in this topic do a search. This is one topic that has been discussed many times and it has always turned into a major debate.

The_Monk

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry I did try a search before hand but didnt turn up much, guess my keywords were rubbish! LOL

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't handle mine (I manipulate them for pictures and so on, but don't "handle" them)

I don't do any tank maintenence.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The_Monk said:
sorry I did try a search before hand but didnt turn up much, guess my keywords were rubbish! LOL
I guess, I tried a search with the word "handling" and got 38 pages of threads on the topic.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
The question was more about cage maintenance than handling. How do you do cage maint. without coming into contact with the tarantula? Am I correct The_Monk?

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my t's

I handle all of my t's, but still opt for the 12" foreceps to do cage cleaning, just because it's easier (cages in bookshelves etc.) :cool:

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Now that I have some species that I consider un-handleable, I have a new respect for all my T's. I do the maintenance with either tweezers or my hand, depending on the T and how easily it gets perturbed as well as if it is in an arboreal set up or not. I admit though that I do handle my avics once in a while but only to crawl on my hand for a photo or something or to show some of my sons friends, that they don't have to be afraid. Nobody should ever take it for granted that a T won't jump, run or bite. I agree that they are best left alone, but an occasional touch to a T that is well within one's comfort level isn't harmful either.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont handle my t's anymore nor do i wish to, They are all a bit big now and tend to try eating my hand when i go near them :rolleyes:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
The question was more about cage maintenance than handling. How do you do cage maint. without coming into contact with the tarantula? Am I correct The_Monk?
I think this is what The_Monk intended. However, most people who do handle use some type of equipment for maintenace with their Ts that are more defensive, so the question didn't make a whole lot of sense.