Anyone Never Handle Their Tarantula?

bugs4life

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I only handle my two G. roseas. I leave the rest alone, they get kinda skittish. But with any of them, I just reach in to change out the water. I can't use a turkey baster anyway, I keep large decorative glass beads in the water dishes to help prevent drowning...they look great, too {D
With the rest of my T's, I use little plastic tubs and stuff to transfer them. I usually use forceps to get rid of cricket bodies, first of all because I don't want to touch that (ewwwwwww) and second of all because the bodies can turn up in the strangest places lol.

T- RANCHOOLAAA

Arachnopeon
I never handle them. However when I got my first T, Rambo a Rosehair, when I was in 8th grade. When I did maint. on the tank, I looked like I was ready for a battle. :? I put these huge gloves on that were used for stocking a coal stove just in case it decided to run up my arm. As I got older though I would just use a fish net to block the T into a corner and do the maint. Never had a problem,infact a lot of them would just clump themselves into a corner and sit there. Usually when that lid opened up they would retreat into their shelter.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And thus the handling debate rages again;)

Seriously though, I can't resist occaisional handlings. These usually happen during cage transfers so as not to stress the spiders too much.

bodar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice to look at, not to hold is my motto, i just love watching a six of my T's{D

dragyn5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 60 T's and I handle about 10-12 of them. The only ones I handle are my Grammastolas, Aphonapelmas and Brachys. I don't handle old world or Arboreal. I don't handle them often, maybe once a month. My husband is a photographer and I handle them so he can get some good photos. Actually, this Tarantula addiction is his fault!!! He got me started and MizM got me hooked!!!;)

Libertykeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very, very rarely do I attempt to handle any of my T's, and actually my B. Vagans very recently "handled" me while I was performing maintenance, ouch.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i handled my oldest red knee years ago.

they seems happier being left alone in their tanks, and so i only interact with them when i need to clean their cages. i'm not as worried about being tagged as i am about accidently injuring one of my $100-200 children.

ventell

Arachnopeon
The only one that I could easily handle, my rosehair is rather psycho, and my a. seemani is always down in his hole, so that one is out too. All the others are either really fast, or really aggressive, dictating a hands off cleaning/maintenance program =).

ZooKeeper78

Arachnopeon
Ok, This im sure is a silly question, What is the coke Bottle method? Several people on this thread have mentioned it... :?
I Never handle any of My T's, Not so much for my safty but for thairs, as i dont trust myself not to drop them...:p

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cut the top off of a 2 liter pop bottle and use it along with a paint brush as a "capture bell" worked wonderful with my Hap sp.

I only have 1 T I can handle and I don't even know what she is, shes supposed to be a rosie but doesn't quite look right. She's as docile as a rock and about as active:)

Mr.Extreme

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ihandle mine all the time what i do is move it, i put my hand in there and take my other hand and use my index finder and touch his spinnerttes and it moves forward and goes on my hand thn i clean his tank. its easy and safe if u r still afraid u can go to a store thats sells gardning things and buy gloves NO RUBBER OR PLASTIC easy way to kill your tarantula if it bites the glove buy a cloth one thick cloth if u want ill take a pick of the type of gloves i use and make sure the gloves u have are new and not been use to touch other things;)

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't handle mine, for thier sake I feel it is healthier that I don't. If I were to drop one and injure it or worse I would feel awful. That isn't to say I don't touch any of them. I will occasionally pet the A.avic.,and twice I have had to help one of my T's out of a bad molt. But I do not pick them up or carry them around. When i need to clean a tank I transfer them into a deli cup and clean the tank then transfer them back. It's much safer for them and for me.

kurisute_hasu

Arachnopeon
I dont handle my T. My Rosea is insane would probably tag me.
She makes it clear she is look but no touch.
And as brave as I try to be, I am still a little phobic of spiders so...yeah.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't. Well, maybe my Brachypelmas, but that's so infrequent it barely counts.
I'm not daft enough to handle my old word Ts (despite various photos and pointers and assurances posted here), and most of the time I just have no compulsion to handle the more docile ones. The latter are easily herded into cricket tubs with my hand, and luckily the former are easily herded into cricket tubs with long tweezers. :p

Mister T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I personally never handle my T's.1.simply because most of my T's are pokies and 2.I prefer to not give them any more stress or risk them accidently being injured because of my desire to hold them.

When I do tank maintenance,for my more aggressive T's,I plan it on a feeding day.Throw a couple cricks in and wait til they have begun eating.Then I do any tank maintenance I need to do .This method has never failed me yet even with the most aggressive of my T's.They are already occupied with some good grubbin's:}

Count Tarantula

Arachnopeon
I'm with the NEVERS

I do everything I can to not handle my T's. Its not worth getting bit or dropping the T. The only T's of mine i've handled are my G. rosea's and my A. avic's.;P

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i don't handle mine
i am pretty confident about putting my hand in my g. rosea's cage
but the other guys i use 12 " tweezers and a wash bottle used in labs to fill the water dishes.
i also find that a pair of long needle nose pliers is good for removing the water dish if i have to clean it
i use those for my cobalt and OBT