Anyone Never Handle Their Tarantula?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To answer the original question,I have handled my tarantulas a very few number of times, in general, I never handle them.

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
I try, but it is so easy to get drawn back into defending oneself from the over-compensation attacks... so crafty! {D

I think it is the overwhelmingly multi-pronged attack [and it's not just an attack on the idea of a possibility of death from an OWT bite, it's an attack on everything! It even tracks the denial sendrome list completly!] that makes one forget what's really going on.. and the next thing you know - bam! More pile on...:eek:
You sound like a broken record. :rolleyes:

Your paranoia has already been addressed:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1579631&postcount=224

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1579760&postcount=229

It is blatantly clear that the only one with the "obsessive denial syndrome" is you and only you. :wall:

To stay on topic, as for my opinion on handling (as mentioned in another handling thread), I always like to respond with this: would you handle a goldfish? Assuming your answer is no, then it's pretty much the same thing IMHO. If you are wondering if there is any "official rule or law" or specified or designated or approved amount of time, there is not. It would boil down to your own personal preference (and the tarantula's, of course). Remember, the only one who gains anything at all from holding/handling a tarantula is you. ;)

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I try, but it is so easy to get drawn back into defending oneself from the over-compensation attacks... so crafty! {D

I think it is the overwhelmingly multi-pronged attack [and it's not just an attack on the idea of a possibility of death from an OWT bite, it's an attack on everything! It even tracks the denial sendrome list completly!] that makes one forget what's really going on.. and the next thing you know - bam! More pile on...:eek:
You're very obsessed with this "denial" word as if we're sitting here trying to claim that the earth flat. People are simply presenting what is known and documented...the end. You're the one in OCD mode.

Last edited:

spyderlady

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I never handle mine. It's not recommended. Plus, I have ephebopus uatuman. Which is a 'hands off!' species. Plus, I've got b.emilia and b.sabulosum which are probably too skittish for handling. Also, c. fasciatum is in my collection as well. If I were to handle my t's, I would do it with my two avicularia species, Guyana pinktoe and species amazonica.

mouldylemons

Arachnopeon
I would handle mine occasionally or if needed but I have one bad tempered rosea who attacks even a stream of water when filling her water dish, and a tiny baby B. smithi who I am afraid of loosing :)
oohwell. guess not every tarantula is suitable for show and tell:razz:

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as being published goes, I am in the credits of a History Channel tarantula documentary, published on national TV, October 2008. I worked as a liaison between the filmmakers and the hobby community, getting people here involved in the film, and securing specimens for filming. Also working on that doc' were Philth ( an experienced and very long-standing member here), and Rick C. West, the celebrity arachnologist. I may one day write a book, but for the moment I am busy working on a Master's Degree.

Have a nice day.

And MrI, thank you. :)
Hey! Don't forget me!
LoL

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey! Don't forget me!
LoL
Yeah, you were in it too! :D I'm really bummed that History Channel doesn't have a DVD available for purchase of that episode. I really want to buy it! But yeah, that was a fun project ( and a thrill to be on TV ! :D )

Buckwheat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are you the same "Venom" that came to Arachnofreaks forum a few years back with the black widow thing??..

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! I've been away for a few months due to some family issues, but am glad to see that AB is still as informative (and entertaining) as ever ;)

I've grown out of the desire to handle my tarantulas. It's probably less than coincidental that my collection has also moved towards faster and more defensive OW species. I pretty much just enjoy observing them at this point...

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hahahahah Rick that's funny as hell. Personally I only handle my slings when I first get them. I have a mf a.metallica who I occasinally handle. She's a sweetheart and is tong fed. Other than that I use my hands to work and I can't afford not to work for a couple days.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rick, that was priceless! I almost fell out of my chair!

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Agreed :D

That just made my day!

DooM_ShrooM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i handle my rosies but i have never handled my cobalt blue...but hope i could......one day... :)....when i do maintenance i just stick my hand inside.....its okay coz my rosies dont bite and my cobalt blue is in its hide(day time)

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i handle my rosies but i have never handled my cobalt blue...but hope i could......one day... :)....when i do maintenance i just stick my hand inside.....its okay coz my rosies dont bite and my cobalt blue is in its hide(day time)
You might still want to be careful sticking your hand into an enclosure where the tarantula is completely hidden from view. They can be up and out of those burrows in a FLASH! Get yourself some tongs, my friend. :)

DooM_ShrooM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You might still want to be careful sticking your hand into an enclosure where the tarantula is completely hidden from view. They can be up and out of those burrows in a FLASH! Get yourself some tongs, my friend. :)
thanks...i'll add that on my list when i go shopping:D