Any New Additions?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Added this really interesting specimen this weekend...

0.0.1 Liphistius cf. yangae "Suwat", the Suwat armored trapdoor spider:
View attachment 454760
View attachment 454761

I took a few pics when rehousing it, because once of recreates it's burrow and trapdoor in the new enclosure I'll likely never see it out again for longer than the blink of an eye. Their behavior fascinates me, and I hope I'm able to observe it and work with it for a good amount of time - it's legspan is 1.5" max, so still has a bit of growing to do.
I've really wanted to get into Liphistius spp and the other trapdoor mygalomorphs, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. There are some really cool species out there, even some US natives like Cyclocosmia torreya.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
I've really wanted to get into Liphistius spp and the other trapdoor mygalomorphs
Liphistius aren't mygalomorphs FYI; they're an even older branch of spider, and distinct from true trapdoors (which are mygalomorphs).

I've actually been thinking about ordering one or two, though I do have some misgivings about buying them from that particular dealer (I've only gotten substrate and cork bark from them in the past) given that the care information they have up is not just wrong but completely backwards (they seriously recommend "looser substrate for burrow construction...:...)

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Liphistius aren't mygalomorphs FYI; they're an even older branch of spider, and distinct from true trapdoors (which are mygalomorphs).

I've actually been thinking about ordering one or two, though I do have some misgivings about buying them from that particular dealer (I've only gotten substrate and cork bark from them in the past) given that the care information they have up is not just wrong but completely backwards (they seriously recommend "looser substrate for burrow construction...:...)
It appears I should be more careful in my grammar and terminology lol.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I've really wanted to get into Liphistius spp and the other trapdoor mygalomorphs, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. There are some really cool species out there, even some US natives like Cyclocosmia torreya.
I've been interested in them for a while, so when the local shop had this one I decided to give it a shot.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Added recently:
Avicularia minatrix
Davus sp. Panama
Dolichothele diamantinensis
Lasiocyaneo sazimai

Adopted:
Xenesthis immanis

Freebie:
Acanthoscuria geniculata

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Got myself some birthday presents

0.1 Avicularia huriana - 6”
IMG_1791.jpeg

0.1 Orphnaecus dichromatus - 3.5”
IMG_1787.jpeg

0.1 Cyriopagopus doriae - 5”
IMG_1786.jpeg

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Dichromatus and doriae? Two of my bucket list Ts (I've checked off quite a few on that list but there's always more), and two that are hard to come by even over here.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Dichromatus and doriae? Two of my bucket list Ts (I've checked off quite a few on that list but there's always more), and two that are hard to come by even over here.
I pick up every doriae I find on the market lol and dichromatus sold out quick when they were imported but I found all three of these for private sale in California so I hopped on it. 700$ for all three lol

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Got a T albo, G pulchripes, G rosea, A moderatum and replacement B albiceps today.

I'll call that a success!! My wallet begs to differ.

MGHamlin

Arachnopeon
Nothing fancy, but picked up my first of the brachypelma genus: two b. boehmei slings. I've always thought the brachypelma's were pretty, but steered clear because of the slow growth rate and my being new to the hobby and wanting to see something grow a little faster (I'm impatient...). Now that I've got some more variety in the collection as far as sizes and species, I figured it was time to finally give the boehmei a try. So when I saw them at the Conroe reptile show today, I decided to make it happen. They're little (<1"), so I'm looking forward to a long future with these two!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I picked up these 2 girls today at an expo. A. moderatum juvenile, and a X. intermedia sling/ juvie. Not the best photos but I want to give them time to settle in. They were stressed from the trip. IMG_20230909_152011758~2.jpg IMG_20230909_153040222.jpg

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Got a T albo, G pulchripes, G rosea, A moderatum and replacement B albiceps today.

I'll call that a success!! My wallet begs to differ.
Yay! You got your Rosea!

I picked up these 2 girls today at an expo. A. moderatum juvenile, and a X. intermedia sling/ juvie. Not the best photos but I want to give them time to settle in. They were stressed from the trip. View attachment 455235 View attachment 455233
Both those slings are awesome but that intermedia is so cute! I would love to grab one for myself!

Asti

Arachnopeon
Ordered four slings, they arrived last week. Two Grammostola pulchra's and two Aphonopelma moderatum's.

One A. moderatum was DOA, sucks so bad. Felt quite guilty. They were shipped in those small tube/vial things instead of those pill containers I previously got from other vendors. Seemed very cramped. Got my money back for that one.

I already had one G. pulchra sling, meaning I now have three G. pulchra slings in total. I really like their attitude and look. Who knows I can breed them when I'm old ;)

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Ordered four slings, they arrived last week. Two Grammostola pulchra's and two Aphonopelma moderatum's.

One A. moderatum was DOA, sucks so bad. Felt quite guilty. They were shipped in those small tube/vial things instead of those pill containers I previously got from other vendors. Seemed very cramped. Got my money back for that one.

I already had one G. pulchra sling, meaning I now have three G. pulchra slings in total. I really like their attitude and look. Who knows I can breed them when I'm old ;)
Congrats on the additions!

A few months ago, Grammostola was revised and the G. pulchra that we've been keeping in the hobby was reclassified as Grammostola quirogai. It's all a little confusing to digest, but this thread provides some clarification:

Asti

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the additions!

A few months ago, Grammostola was revised and the G. pulchra that we've been keeping in the hobby was reclassified as Grammostola quirogai. It's all a little confusing to digest, but this thread provides some clarification:
Hm then I misunderstood what I read before ... I thought that the G. pulchra and quirogai have been confused with eachother to the point where it's impossible to say which ones are in the hobby without DNA testing? Because of their extremely similar looks and close wild habitats. Is that wrong? Are all pulchra's in the hobby now reclassified to quirogais?

Does breeder area matter in this? Since mine are from European breeders? They were all quick here to rename the Pterinopelma to Lasiocyano but haven't seen renames yet for the Grammostola pulchra's to quirogais.

Ah well ... 'awesome bog black spider' would suffice too ;)

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Hm then I misunderstood what I read before ... I thought that the G. pulchra and quirogai have been confused with eachother to the point where it's impossible to say which ones are in the hobby without DNA testing? Because of their extremely similar looks and close wild habitats. Is that wrong? Are all pulchra's in the hobby now reclassified to quirogais?

Does breeder area matter in this? Since mine are from European breeders? They were all quick here to rename the Pterinopelma to Lasiocyano but haven't seen renames yet for the Grammostola pulchra's to quirogais.

Ah well ... 'awesome bog black spider' would suffice too ;)
Most breeders/dealers in the US have been listing them as G. quirogai (ex. pulchra) since the revision was done. I think it is certainly muddy and the potential exists for there to be a "hobby form G. pulchra". Reading the threads, it seems like the true G. pulchra isn't (theoretically) available in the hobby because it is a Brazilian species and exports from Brazil are prohibited, whereas G. quirogai is from Uruguay and collection/exportation is easier. There are some differences in appearance, too - true pulchra have white tips on their black setae, and quirogai are more solid black.

Asti

Arachnopeon
Most breeders/dealers in the US have been listing them as G. quirogai (ex. pulchra) since the revision was done. I think it is certainly muddy and the potential exists for there to be a "hobby form G. pulchra". Reading the threads, it seems like the true G. pulchra isn't (theoretically) available in the hobby because it is a Brazilian species and exports from Brazil are prohibited, whereas G. quirogai is from Uruguay and collection/exportation is easier. There are some differences in appearance, too - true pulchra have white tips on their black setae, and quirogai are more solid black.
Ok thanks, I'll share the info on the Dutch board!

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Ordered today
Screenshot_20230912_064221_Chrome.jpg
Arriving on the 20th, all unsexed slings but the ezemdami are my first ow's so extra excited for them coming 😊