Your First Old World Tarantula?

What was your first Old World tarantula?

• Total voters

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
My first OW ever was Ch. fimbriatus unsexed juvenile about two years ago. Unfortunately, he matured a year ago, and had to sell him. He was the most docile OW ever. And by docile I mean that he had never threw threat posture at me. He was just sitting in the entrance to his burrow and waiting for prey. Too bad he matured so quickly. I hope he was successful with that female he was sent to.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
i did have P.regalis for few days . does that count ? ( spider is ok )
It was not that horrible as i imagined pokies to be . I even did rehousing . Fast he was yes , but nothing horrible . Not even one threat posture .
Only shame that it was male .

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
I picked up a P. rufilata at a show today. Used Petko's method of rehousing and it went off without a hitch.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I bought two P. regalis slings a few days after getting my first tarantula(s) which are five L. parahybana slings

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I think she meant this method :
Ah that's cool for smaller vial like enclosures. I usually just take out the plants/furniture and turn the vial down using a J shaped hook to work the T out into the new enclosure. Larger enclosures I just use a catch cup.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I'm in South Australia, and still researching before buying my first Tarantula(s), of course they will be OW, no soft options here! So far Phlogius sp 'stents' are looking like a wise choice. I may also buy some Selenotypus 'sp 2' slings.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Crassipes is a classic
That's true, but reading an article on stents by Steve Nunn they may be more visible, and the females kinder on males when breeding, which would be my ultimate goal. Not that having a spider I don't see much would worry me too much, some of my favourite scorpions pop up, eat 3 or 4 crickets and say 'catch you next year!'

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I just made a deal on a small selenotypus plumipes, so next Wednesday that'll be my first Tarantula :)

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
My first OW was Orphnaecus philippinus, it was a freeby sling.
Great little tarantula , bright orange , easy care very under rated T.
My second was a 4" Pelinobius muticus. ......beautiful T I've seen twice in a year.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Cyriopagopus schmidti GCF sling was my first, received as a freebie with four GBB slings. (like, a month ago :rofl:)

I had planned on waiting until a couple of my T's had matured before I decided to venture into OWs, but who I ask you, who among us has the constitution to say no to a free T? I feel like it was the breeders way of dragging me into the dark side so I'll buy more of his spiders (which are mostly OW).

I can't say I'm complaining.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I bought three in one go: P. muticus, C. marshalli, I. mira. The one that caused me most trouble to house was the P. muticus, but nothing is more cute than a hissing 2 inch spider :)

octaJon

Arachnopeon
I started with 4 OW slings:
-P. metallica (the 1st tarantula that I was WOWed by their beauty)
-P. miranda (love the pokies)
-I. mira (love the trapdoor utilization of this species, also their "walked through wet paint" look)
-P. muticus (all hail the Goddess!)

octaJon

Arachnopeon
I started with 4 OW slings:
-P. metallica (the 1st tarantula that I was WOWed by their beauty)
-P. miranda (love the pokies)
-I. mira (love the trapdoor utilization of this species, also their "walked through wet paint" look)
-P. muticus (all hail the Goddess!)
@cold blood why the face palm?

After receiving a face palm, I realized I worded my response wrong. These 4 OW slings were not my 1st Ts. I purchased these long after gaining much experience with many different NW Ts, incl P. cambridgei, P. irminia, A. geniculata, etc. Just wanted to clarify. ✌

Last edited by a moderator:

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
My first was a C. marshalli sub-adult female. Neat looking spider but I almost never see it...