Your First Old World Tarantula?

What was your first Old World tarantula?

• Total voters

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I thought it would be interesting to get an updated snapshot of what our current members got for their first Old World tarantula. (If you select other, please reply with what you got.)

I got my first OW species three weeks ago, a female Ceratogyrus marshalli. (When I went to Repticon, this species was on my list of potential first OW tarantulas, and I was happy to see a female for a good price.)

After living in a deli cup for so long, it took Miss Hissy a couple of weeks to remember that she is a burrower. She has dug a long tunnel that goes all the way down on one side before veering off along the bottom to the other end of the enclosure.

Last edited:

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I think mine was a Fort Hall Baboon about 15 years ago. I'm trying to remember what all I had. I know T. blondi was my first T ever.. I had a P. regalis, but I think I got the Fort Hall first.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
My first old world was a Selenotypus. Seldom seen and very slow growing. Unfortunately in the time I had it (which was about a year and a half) it only moulted once before being attacked and killed by some marauding ants which got through the ventilation holes. That was my first tarantula and I haven't had once since

Juniorispissed

Arachnopeon
As a noob, still am, I bought a spider. Within weeks I wanted more. Lucky for me, I work with someone who knows more and is a good coach. It's been barely a yaer and I have over 30 t's. my first ow is a female OBT, purchased at about 2". She's molted twice since and is well on her way to being a glorious adult. She's full of hate and wants a a piece of me anytime I need to do maintenance.... my favorite critter still.

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
Selenotypus plumipes was my first OW. My first T actually, though as I've said before, we don't get NW in Oz.

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
My first old world was a Selenotypus. Seldom seen and very slow growing. Unfortunately in the time I had it (which was about a year and a half) it only moulted once before being attacked and killed by some marauding ants which got through the ventilation holes. That was my first tarantula and I haven't had once since
What Selenotypus?
Sorry for your loss.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
What Selenotypus?
Sorry for your loss.
Selenotypus sp. "Carbine" is what it was sold as. Australians tarantulas aren't very well studied and there's heaps that has to be done so the genus and number/place it was found is normally the best bet

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is my 2nd time in the hobby and this time around my 1st ow was an H villosella i rescued.
My very 1st old world ever was an adult female C minax she was very friendly she always wanted a hug, a day later i took delivery of an H crassipes male these were part of a friends collection that he was selling because he was leaving the hobby i stupidly though how hard can it be the answer was the crassipes was pretty chilled the minax was angry

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
Selenotypus sp. "Carbine" is what it was sold as. Australians tarantulas aren't very well studied and there's heaps that has to be done so the genus and number/place it was found is normally the best bet
They're a real pale, blonde/platinum selenotypus aren't they?
Edit: I was thinking of a different one, carbine are notably dark coloured.

Yeah the Australian species thing is a mess. I swear "pseudo" is just used as a prefix for "It will look just like one I swear".

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I picked up two adult females as my first old worlds. 2nd and 3rd Ts I kept. Been pretty much hooked on Aftican species since.

- Pterinochilus lugardi
- Hysterocrates gigas

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first T was a P.regalis sling. Bad idea for a newbie, but alls gone well and I still have her 4 years later.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
First was my dream spider at the time, Pelinobius muticus. A 1" sling.

IMO, the perfect ow for those who just can't wait to have one. Mainly because by the time it's 2.5", the keepers ready for just about anything.

@Andrea82 Selenocosminae are that popular?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Actually, I got several genera for the first time. Someone on AB sent me a parcel full of different tarantulas he'd bred. Amongst some NWs were my first OW slings. 2 A. ezendami, 2 C. marshalli, and 3 P. fasciata.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Actually, I got several breeds for the first time. Someone on AB sent me a parcel full of different tarantulas he'd bred. Amongst some NWs were my first OW slings. 2 A. ezendami, 2 C. marshalli, and 3 P. fasciata.
Breeds? :meh:
I expected better. :p

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Orphnaecus Sp. cebu which I got as one of four freebies with an order a few weeks ago. I was going to jump into OW species with my next order, but when I noticed this one was among the freebies I took it as a sign that it was time to get into OWs. The little sling is doing very well and eating like a savage, I almost feel bad for the mealworm or cricke, as the sling shows no mercy.