Favorite Tarantula Type (poll)

What's your favorite tarantula type?

• Docile terrestrials: Aphonapelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola

Votes: 258 34.0%
  • Large and defensive terrestrials: Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Lasiodora, etc.

Votes: 128 16.9%
  • Bitey burrowers: Citharischius, Haplopelma, Hysterocrates, etc.

Votes: 61 8.0%
  • Docile and colorful arboreals: Avicularia

Votes: 131 17.3%
  • Speedy and potent arboreals: Poecilotheria, Heterscodra, Stromatopelma, and Psalmopoeus

Votes: 181 23.8%

• Total voters

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Talk about a thread resurrection.

Arboreals :) and I like the other genuses more than the avic's.

I have to admit that aggressive little dwarf species are growing on me though.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love all arboreals, but the Avics are just so cool. Calm, beautiful and just great all around critters.

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i find the large and giant terreatrial t's such as a genic, t blondi, and l parahybana very interesting. :)

mybabyhasfangs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I voted for the avics, although I know Jason would disagree with me on this one. I love their beauty and docile personality. Yet they can be quite flighty which keeps you on your toes. I love to watch them contruct their webs. My second would be the Docile terrestrials, I love my little smithi.

Christina

pedipalps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like the Brachys and Grammys, because i like the colors, markings, size and temperament.

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm a Pokie Fan! I love the colors and the markings!

The way they position themselves when resting... just a beautiful sight!

So the speedy spideys do it for me!

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nothing more i enjoy then taking my pokies outside to do a cage swap.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You forgot Dwarf Tarantulas such as: Cyriocosmus, Holothele, Metriopelma. I would have picked those.

I also think putting Aphonopelmas in the docile groups is kinda funny. If anyone has ever seen a "Carlsbad Green" in action they would probably think they were looking at a oddly colored H lividum, hehe. Watch your fingers. :eek:

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also remember that this poll was started a little over 3 years ago. I'm sure if one was created now it there would be a lot more or different options.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also remember that this poll was started a little over 3 years ago. I'm sure if one was created now it there would be a lot more or different options.
Shows how much I read this section. I didnt even think to check the dates, lol. Yay me. {D

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Avicularia

My avic is still a sling, but the combination of looks and docile nature along with arboreal tendencies just cant be beat!:}

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Docile terrestrials. Many of them are beautiful, like B. boehmei and G. pulchra, but they're still gentle enough to be handled and easy to care for.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Large Defensive Terrestrials are my fave at the moment.

Why?

Guess I'm sick of my potent aboreals for the time being. I like a tarantula I can just see anytime.. everytime! That among other things.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
webspinner
i could not agree more i love my Pamphobeteus they are awesome

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Best of both worlds

My fave spider is my old male P. murinus that really doesn't realize he's supposed to be terrestrial. Thinks he's an Avic. and hangs out in his plastic philodendron all day displaying for his adoring fans (who adore from a respectable distance, as he's also capable of throwing the typical OBT screaming, fall-over-backwards, fang-flashing hissy fit if you get tooo close to the beast).

Least fave: my cricket-eating pet coconut a.k.a. G. rosea. I know it's alive because the crickets disappear. Otherwise, it's just a webbed-over coconut in a tank. Really fascinating pet. Maybe I'll see it someday.

Last edited:

BinarySpider

Arachnopeon
Arboreals Only !

While I would like to have several different species of the Poecilotheria I do have a 5 year old son. While all parents want to believe, "my child would never do that", we all know that is a crock. Children always have and always will do what ever they can by with period. Turn your back and they will know that you are not looking.

My son is very curious and intelligent. While he has left my A.versi alone thus far I know he will eventually investigate them. It is only a matter of time. A bite from an A.versi would be bad but a bite from a Poecilotheria species could be a disaster for a 5 year old depending on the venom load.

For now I am very happy with the...

Docile and colorful arboreals: Avicularia

In the future I will get into the...

Speedy and potent arboreals: Poecilotheria

BinarySpider

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Defensive Terrestrials and Bitey Burrowers are right up my alley, though I'd love to get some nice arboreals.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im a fan of OW Arboreals. Poecilotheria, Heteroscodra, Psalmopoeus, and Cyriopagopus species are all high on my lists of favorites.

But I also love many old world terrestrials and burrowers. Im not a huge NW fan except for a few of the Avicularia, Xenesthis, and Theraphosa.