Favorite Tarantula Type (poll)

What's your favorite tarantula type?

• Docile terrestrials: Aphonapelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola

Votes: 258 34.0%
  • Large and defensive terrestrials: Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Lasiodora, etc.

Votes: 128 16.9%
  • Bitey burrowers: Citharischius, Haplopelma, Hysterocrates, etc.

Votes: 61 8.0%
  • Docile and colorful arboreals: Avicularia

Votes: 131 17.3%
  • Speedy and potent arboreals: Poecilotheria, Heterscodra, Stromatopelma, and Psalmopoeus

Votes: 181 23.8%

• Total voters

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I I really like the somewhat more defensive new world arboreals like Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus. I also doubt that Psalmopoeus (NW) whould be in the same category as Poecilotheria, Heteroscoda and Stromatopelma (OW)...
Anyway, I also like Brachypelma's!

Dennis

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
I I really like the somewhat more defensive new world arboreals like Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus. I also doubt that Psalmopoeus (NW) whould be in the same category as Poecilotheria, Heteroscoda and Stromatopelma (OW)...
Anyway, I also like Brachypelma's!

Dennis
I put Psalmopoeus in the same category as Poecilotheria because despite the fact that they are on different sides of the atlantic they share a lot of the same traits with each other. Both arboreal, high strung, long legged and fast. If you like Psalmopoeus you will very likely love Poecilotheria and visa versa.

I tried to put them into the most basic categories separated by known temperament and defensive traits and habitats in the wild. And to generalize them into types of tarantula to make somewhat even categories. Ephebopus for instance are such a unique species it would really have a category of it's own since it's doesn't share the same traits as the majority.

Tapinauchenius is another somewhat unique genus. It is in the Aviculariinae sub-family but has no urticating hairs and has been known to have some different 'personality' traits then Avicularia. And since (I thought) they weren't as popular as the others and were rarer I would leave them out. I guess that was a mistake :)

Jim B.

Last edited:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm pretty surprised at the results so far in the poll. I thought for sure the cute teddy bear T's would win by a wide margin. It looks as though the speedy and high strung arboreals are more popular than I originally though :)

Jim B.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Favorite type in general are the fast arboreals but my favortite type to keep are the large, terrestrial kinds...for the kids.

Last edited:

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The "teddy bear terrestrials" are nice, but personality wise the aborials are really just awesome. Plus, if you like to handle, there is nothing more fun then getting out a psalmopoeus and having it walk on you.
Fast, wavy legs, jumping, sleek looking - just a winner all round.

The dirt-moving teddy-bear terrestrials are neat though - as long as they don't bury themselves for annoyingly long times.... :cool:

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The arboreals are my favourite's . The Poecs followed by the Avics and the others mentioned.
Chid

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Give me a monstrous, dirt-dwelling South American with a big ol' booty any day.

:D

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
poeci, poeci, poeci lol, though a couple of the OW burrowers interest me as do a couple of Avics.

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Never thought I'd say this, but OW pissy Arboreals. My Pokie is just wonderful, my maculata is my new obsession, and my Psalmopeus is adorable. And (Thanks to Inuleki) I need a Tapinauchenius! DAMNIT!
I stil LOVE my Avics, those little pink toes are irreseistable!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I would have to say the arboreals, and it's a close call between the avics and pokies...
I'd say currently, the pokies have a slight edge :)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say I have no favorite type as I have a few from each group you have listed.

Andy

joe8421

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
very interesting Poll ,i love pterinochilus ,haplopelma too ,but my favor is Heteroscodra ;P

Last edited:

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just love brachys, colorful and docile. not too big nor too small :)

Last edited:

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i find that species such as the h.maculata and the obt rcf really interest me :)

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Big, hairy New World Terrestrials I like the most. I just love the personality. I just don't have the room for more big boys.