Favorite Tarantula Type (poll)

What's your favorite tarantula type?

• Docile terrestrials: Aphonapelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola

Votes: 258 34.0%
  • Large and defensive terrestrials: Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Lasiodora, etc.

Votes: 128 16.9%
  • Bitey burrowers: Citharischius, Haplopelma, Hysterocrates, etc.

Votes: 61 8.0%
  • Docile and colorful arboreals: Avicularia

Votes: 131 17.3%
  • Speedy and potent arboreals: Poecilotheria, Heterscodra, Stromatopelma, and Psalmopoeus

Votes: 181 23.8%

• Total voters

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I do love the docile terrestrials BUT avics are becoming my favorite. I got my first avic slings and I am crazy about them! Now my daughter has an A metallica and she's going avic crazy too. So furry, and climby (I made up that word lol), sweet, high stepping, and pink toes!

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Fav T Type

Great thread! I must admit, I got into the hobby because of my love for my Brachy's and Brazillian Blacks. They are still among my fav's. Increasingly, though, I find myself primarily attracted to category 2- large and aggresssive NW's, such as N Chromarus & Haiitian Browns. I still apppreciate my G pulchra's and Brachy's, though, so I'll just vote for NW terrestrials, categories 1 & 2. Probably leaning towards category 2...

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
I chose docile terrestrials. G. Rosea are just too awesome! They're completely underrated. What other T changes their attitude every molt? Some are vicious critters with huge appetites, while some are docile and...pet rocks. But it gives you a break from staying on your toes constantly! Plus, they're hard to breed so it gives you a challenge unlike others that produce easily and with 1000's of slings. Also, GBBs are docile-ish terrestrial-ish T's. Colorful, hungry, and kind of visible. Apohelma's are slightly more "boring", but they're native and good handlers. :p
OMG I forgot about C. Elegans! Dwarfs, cute, fast growing, show adult colors when like 3/4 in! They are burrowers though. :/ but still. Also they're not typically defensive, but if you want a biter, get C. Bertae.

MattInNYC

Arachnopeon
Old world arboreal, so choice 5, even though Psalmopoeus is in there, it fits in with them, but I've never had one. The potency of the venom doesn't have much bearing on how much I like them though, I like how they look and behave. I like a thin lanky looking tarantula with interesting colors and patterns, and I like how they'll aggressively tackle even relatively large prey.

Last edited:

bjm54

Arachnopeon
i like avics alot, but for some reason a brachypelma or grammostola is just more my thing.

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
I love Poecilotheria.... I love the varying colors and looks from each spec. I like that they get big but not so big they have to be in a 25 gal. tank. They pretty much = amazing in my book.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Asian fossorials, hands down, are the best type of tarantulas for me. Love the concept of a monster hiding in its lair.

Chuckmater

Arachnopeon
Asian fossorials, hands down, are the best type of tarantulas for me. Love the concept of a monster hiding in its lair.
I once purchased Cyriopaopus Shmidti and Hainanus pairs and (they were around 3") and I nearly died of a heart attack just rehousing them. I eventually got rid of them because they were the MEANEST, most VICIOUS monsters in my collection. My stromatopelmas, heteroscodra, pokies, and even OBTs were angels compared to those little demons. Truth be told, I fear them and I don't envision reintroducing them to my collection ever again.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I once purchased Cyriopaopus Shmidti and Hainanus pairs and (they were around 3") and I nearly died of a heart attack just rehousing them. I eventually got rid of them because they were the MEANEST, most VICIOUS monsters in my collection. My stromatopelmas, heteroscodra, pokies, and even OBTs were angels compared to those little demons. Truth be told, I fear them and I don't envision reintroducing them to my collection ever again.
I'm always open to rare Cyriopagopus ;)
(Edit: nvrmind, saw they're already gone :embarrassed:)

My favorite are definitely the speedy arboreals. Always an adventure rehousing them. The Lampropelma in particular.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I see my wish list keeps growing..... :angelic: