1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Tarantula Type (poll)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Palespider, Dec 16, 2003.

What's your favorite tarantula type?

1. Docile terrestrials: Aphonapelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola

256 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Large and defensive terrestrials: Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Lasiodora, etc.

126 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. Bitey burrowers: Citharischius, Haplopelma, Hysterocrates, etc.

60 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Docile and colorful arboreals: Avicularia

131 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. Speedy and potent arboreals: Poecilotheria, Heterscodra, Stromatopelma, and Psalmopoeus

178 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. Enomegra

Enomegra Arachnopeon

MYOB
    Advertisement
    I chose avics but would have to throw in dwarfs as an unofficial second.

2. I do love the docile terrestrials BUT avics are becoming my favorite. I got my first avic slings and I am crazy about them! Now my daughter has an A metallica and she's going avic crazy too. So furry, and climby (I made up that word lol), sweet, high stepping, and pink toes!

3. brian abrams

brian abrams Arachnosquire

Fav T Type

Great thread! I must admit, I got into the hobby because of my love for my Brachy's and Brazillian Blacks. They are still among my fav's. Increasingly, though, I find myself primarily attracted to category 2- large and aggresssive NW's, such as N Chromarus & Haiitian Browns. I still apppreciate my G pulchra's and Brachy's, though, so I'll just vote for NW terrestrials, categories 1 & 2. Probably leaning towards category 2...

4. Robotponys

Robotponys Arachnoknight

NY
    I chose docile terrestrials. G. Rosea are just too awesome! They're completely underrated. What other T changes their attitude every molt? Some are vicious critters with huge appetites, while some are docile and...pet rocks. But it gives you a break from staying on your toes constantly! Plus, they're hard to breed so it gives you a challenge unlike others that produce easily and with 1000's of slings. Also, GBBs are docile-ish terrestrial-ish T's. Colorful, hungry, and kind of visible. Apohelma's are slightly more "boring", but they're native and good handlers. :p
    OMG I forgot about C. Elegans! Dwarfs, cute, fast growing, show adult colors when like 3/4 in! They are burrowers though. :/ but still. Also they're not typically defensive, but if you want a biter, get C. Bertae.

5. Echolalia

Echolalia Arachnosquire

Speedy and potent arboreals! :)

6. MattInNYC

MattInNYC Arachnopeon

Old world arboreal, so choice 5, even though Psalmopoeus is in there, it fits in with them, but I've never had one. The potency of the venom doesn't have much bearing on how much I like them though, I like how they look and behave. I like a thin lanky looking tarantula with interesting colors and patterns, and I like how they'll aggressively tackle even relatively large prey.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  7. i like avics alot, but for some reason a brachypelma or grammostola is just more my thing.

8. mattg70

mattg70 Arachnosquire

9. 19tarantula91

19tarantula91 Arachnosquire

I love Poecilotheria.... I love the varying colors and looks from each spec. I like that they get big but not so big they have to be in a 25 gal. tank. They pretty much = amazing in my book.

10. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight Active Member

KL
    Asian fossorials, hands down, are the best type of tarantulas for me. Love the concept of a monster hiding in its lair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mninvert

Mninvert Arachnopeon

Brachypelma all the way. Would be cool to see this list broken down further

12. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  13. Kendricks

Kendricks Arachnosquire

Germany
    God damn necrophiles!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  14. Chuckmater

Chuckmater Arachnopeon

I once purchased Cyriopaopus Shmidti and Hainanus pairs and (they were around 3") and I nearly died of a heart attack just rehousing them. I eventually got rid of them because they were the MEANEST, most VICIOUS monsters in my collection. My stromatopelmas, heteroscodra, pokies, and even OBTs were angels compared to those little demons. Truth be told, I fear them and I don't envision reintroducing them to my collection ever again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

I'm always open to rare Cyriopagopus ;)
    (Edit: nvrmind, saw they're already gone :oops:)

My favorite are definitely the speedy arboreals. Always an adventure rehousing them. The Lampropelma in particular.

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  16. Kendricks

Kendricks Arachnosquire

Germany
    I see my wish list keeps growing..... :angelic:

• Love Love x 1
  17. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Selenocosmia aruana. Go for a female. Then say 'Thank you, Chris' or 'Screw you, spaghetti :shifty:'

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Borrowers.

I love my C electric blues!!!!

• Love Love x 1