Favorite Tarantula Type (poll)

What's your favorite tarantula type?

• Docile terrestrials: Aphonapelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola

Votes: 258 34.0%
  • Large and defensive terrestrials: Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Lasiodora, etc.

Votes: 128 16.9%
  • Bitey burrowers: Citharischius, Haplopelma, Hysterocrates, etc.

Votes: 61 8.0%
  • Docile and colorful arboreals: Avicularia

Votes: 131 17.3%
  • Speedy and potent arboreals: Poecilotheria, Heterscodra, Stromatopelma, and Psalmopoeus

Votes: 181 23.8%

• Total voters

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought this would be interesting. I put them into 5 categories.

1) The docile species: Aphonapelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola.

2) The large defensive species. Most are obligate burrowers: (Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Lasiodora, Nhandu, Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus, and Xenesthis)

3) The feisty and bitey species. Most are deep burrowers: (Ceratogyrus, Citharischius, Haplopelma, Hysterocrates, and Pterinochilus)

4) The usually docile and colorful South American arboreals: (Avicularia)

5) The speedy, leggy, and potent arboreals: (Poecilotheria, Heterscodra, Stromatopelma, and Psalmopoeus)

Don't forget to explain why they're your favorite :)

Last edited:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia because dude they can jump climb and move very fast,they shoot pop,and.............................................PINKTOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike;P

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Arboreal as well

Avics are my thing but it was hard to choose because Im getting into NW terrstrials a little more.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I like the avics, and I like pokes and the Psalmopoeus.....I just just the latter ones. I'm not picky :)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I chose the large defensive terrestrials. They really are my favorite, even though I don't keep them anymore due to their hairs.

Now I'm into arborials (avics and psalms) and OW burrowing spiders

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Jeez I have a bit of each and like them all. My attention does vary, but they all interest me sooooooo I stand firmly noncommited.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Forget it, Hysterocrates takes it.

8 in leg spans, stridulation, like to swim, and insatiable appetites

not to mention that im blessed with 3 that are readily visible.

god, I love them. I currently have Ederi, and Gigas.

gotta catch em' all!

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Originally posted by heyjeyniceid
Forget it, Hysterocrates takes it.

8 in leg spans, stridulation, like to swim, and insatiable appetites

not to mention that im blessed with 3 that are readily visible.

god, I love them. I currently have Ederi, and Gigas.

gotta catch em' all!

hmmmm I don't have one of those.........hmmmmmmm

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ennie, meenie, miney mo.....my hubby and I went back and forth on this one, so here's how it stands thus far:
The zoo-me- got to love those pink toed avics and what can I say...I love a "manly" T that knows who's boss....the T, of course!
As far as Duke-hubby-goes, He's a "manly man" kind of guy, and has had a secret obcession with T. Blondi for a lot longer than they have been "popular". He loves their color. He's into color, temperment is neither here nor there as far as he conserned, so it's probably a tie between blondi and C.cyaneopubescens.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Aphonopelma!!!! Aphonopelma Seemani i love these little guys they got some attuide and then can be sweet, pretty fast and i like the Jet black with white stripes i think they are amazeing looking T's, i also like Bitey burrowers like H.Gigas they are great, not so good looking but just fun to watch..

Josh:D

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it's all about the bitey and fiesty.... but then again, i just kinda have a fascination with the Haplopelma spp. running a very close second are the Pamphobetus spp. I'm talking like a .05% difference on which I picked...

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola all the way here, save for a few odd Avics, and a couple of the large defensive species. And one P.regalis as I wouldn't want the OW'ers to feel left out :D

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd have to say that pokies and the likes are the most interesting species to me, but the large South Americans are a very close second.

Jim B.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the docile ones like the Brachys and the Grammys. They're so laid back and cool. They're not too worried about much and they don't seem to upset when you move their stuff around. Mine goes over to see what I've done to the tank, as if it would say "oh, nice new water dish you put in here. Goes well with the other decor. I'm gonna go web something now":D

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For me it is aboreals. Avics, Psalmopoeus, pokies and the one you forgot The Taps. Greg