What is a species that you wouldn't keep again?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Lmao amazed they can survive in the wild. Wonder why they are so inept at hunting.
Lol, considering mine has trained me to tong feed it. Mine is a web cocoon lover and never wants to leave it. Leaving feeders in is pointless it just will not go after them.

I quit tong feeding sometime ago and place a superworm after crushing it's head by his web entrance. If it's hungry it'll take it if not I remove the next day.

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
Omothymus shioedtei. I've raised a male to maturity and female almost there. They like to burrow when they're growing. It would have been nice to see the female fully grown, but I don't want to raise another from the ground up. Emotional damage from losing the first female is pretty severe, since I raised her from a sling and tong fed her many times.

Timc

Arachnosquire
Brachypelma albiceps. I don’t dislike the one I have, but I wouldn’t start over.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Brachypelma albiceps. I don’t dislike the one I have, but I wouldn’t start over.
Some of the Brachypelma species sure do grow at a glacial pace, that's for sure. I got my B. auratum at just under .5in last year and now it's about 0.75in a year later. How big is yours? I've heard that B. albiceps has one of the slowest growth rates in the genus.

Timc

Arachnosquire
Some of the Brachypelma species sure do grow at a glacial pace, that's for sure. I got my B. auratum at just under .5in last year and now it's about 0.75in a year later. How big is yours? I've heard that B. albiceps has one of the slowest growth rates in the genus.
I got it last June, it was less than half an inch. Here going on 9 months later it might be...half an inch lol. On the same order I got boehmei, hamorii, smithi plus a klassi sling I got a month before. All of them were roughly the same size and now they’re all at least over an inch. Blowing the albiceps out of the water lol. Nice little spider, not the most exciting, but like I said, I wouldn’t start over lol

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I got it last June, it was less than half an inch. Here going on 9 months later it might be...half an inch lol. On the same order I got boehmei, hamorii, smithi plus a klassi sling I got a month before. All of them were roughly the same size and now they’re all at least over an inch. Blowing the albiceps out of the water lol. Nice little spider, not the most exciting, but like I said, I wouldn’t start over lol
I can see why! Some of these grow at a glacial pace.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bonnetina minax is just about the only one I have that I don't really care for very much. I never see any sign of life in the enclosure at all. She hasn't ever taken live food. I pre-kill her prey every couple of weeks and the next morning I find that she has taken it into her burrow. She molts in her burrow and seals away the molts in the walls. She doesn't expand her burrow, doesn't come out to hunt or drink that I've seen, it is literally a small box of dirt with a couple of fake leaves and a water dish.

I love my other fossorial spiders. My Cyriocosmus elegans and leetzi are almost always busy burrowing and webbing, and are fun to watch on feeding day. My Ephebopus spiders are out almost every morning, webbing or walking around their enclosure in the early hours of the day. My Pseudhapalopus sp. Colombia is a fantastic little hunter and loves to eat. The little minax though... nothing. I can look into her burrow by picking up her enclosure and looking at the bottom, so I can see when she has molted and that she's still alive and hasn't escaped, but that's the only time I've seen her since I put her into her enclosure. Not even a flash of legs on feeding day, like my Psalmopoeus irminia. She's not even colorful and pretty like the others. Nothing appealing there for me, personally.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
After having males and/ or females of the three Theraphosa species: T. apophysis, T. stirmi, and whatever is being sold as T. blondi these days, I am confident that I will not be keeping any of those again in the foreseeable future. They are just too big, too high strung, and are a pain in the ass to house and maintain. I'm over it all. I have just one very large T. apophysis female left in my collection and after that one passes, I'm done with Theraphosa species. That probably goes for all other giant species such as Pamphobeteus spp., Xenesthis spp., Acanthoscurria spp., Lasiodora spp., Hysterocrates spp., etc. as well.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good to know all. H. Mac's are getting crossed off the list in favor of more Pokies lol
Whenever these types of posts happen, it is my job to defend H. macs. Mine doesn’t even have a burrow or hide. She is fast but not overly skittish. And she has a very interesting personality. Her behavior at times definitely resembles “curiosity” or “intelligence”. If a prey item freezes before she can locate it, she will slap the ground with her front legs to startle it into moving. And she very quickly learned that the lid opening means food is coming. Back when she was younger and still had a burrow, she would get startled by the lid opening and hide. She always had this response, but after not long at all would come back to the burrow entrance and hang her feet out waiting for the food.
8D4A3AD1-539C-4DC6-9F58-0FFDCD97EAC9.jpeg

Attachments

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Whenever these types of posts happen, it is my job to defend H. macs. Mine doesn’t even have a burrow or hide. She is fast but not overly skittish. And she has a very interesting personality. Her behavior at times definitely resembles “curiosity” or “intelligence”. If a prey item freezes before she can locate it, she will slap the ground with her front legs to startle it into moving. And she very quickly learned that the lid opening means food is coming. Back when she was younger and still had a burrow, she would get startled by the lid opening and hide. She always had this response, but after not long at all would come back to the burrow entrance and hang her feet out waiting for the food.
View attachment 378477
Honestly, until I saw this thread, I had NEVER heard someone say they didn't like H Macs lol

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
I'm feeling the same on this one. I bought one at 1/2" last August. It molted soon after I got it. It buried itself in October and has not molted or come up since. I know that because the burrow is right along the side of the enclosure, so I can see it. But it has not eaten or done anything but sit in that burrow for going on six months, and this is just a little sling.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Honestly, until I saw this thread, I had NEVER heard someone say they didn't like H Macs lol
I think a lot of it comes down to the individual specimen though, too. Some are extremely reclusive, but others tend to be out and visible more often. And when they are, it's incredible. But I've known people who've only seen theirs a handful of times, so it can vary!

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
View attachment 378477
Out of curiosity how many have you owned and if multiples do you notice a pattern of behavior?

Last edited:

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I think a lot of it comes down to the individual specimen though, too. Some are extremely reclusive, but others tend to be out and visible more often. And when they are, it's incredible. But I've known people who've only seen there's a handful of times, so it can vary!
Definitely. I also think a lot of it has to do with expectations too. It's entirely possible that some simply aren't aware of how shy they can be when they get one. I can understand how one would be rather disappointed when they get an animal they expect to see a lot, only to go long periods of time without catching a glimpse of it. The Juvenile that I have is rather secretive, as I don't see it very often during the day. But I don't mind the fact that I don't see it a whole lot, simply because I was aware of the fact when I got him/her....

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Out of curiosity how many have you owned and if multiples do you notice a pattern of behavior.
Ok, to be fair I’ve only had one. Maybe I just got a totally weird individual.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Ok, to be fair I’ve only had one. Maybe I just got a totally weird individual.
Well be thankful you got such a jem! I hope to hear from more people like you saying the same thing. Right now though the ratio of people who have ones that are a pain in the butt are much higher 😞

Might roll the dice and get one anyway since they are so cheap. $15-$20 for a really mean pet hole? Sure why not? lol

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Whenever these types of posts happen, it is my job to defend H. macs.
I would but I just get "all your Ts are broken" :rofl:

I see my girl out almost every day, she doesn't even mind me shining a daylight bulb her way long enough to get pics.

B. albiceps are by far the slowest growers out of the genus, the rest of the genus can hit 1.5" - 2" within a year, I've had my albiceps for over three and a half years and she's not much over 2".

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I don't know how H macs got such a bad rep when everyone I know who has one just loves it to bits. I plan to get one eventually. Every time I see them I fall a little more in love.