What is a species that you wouldn't keep again?

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Avicularia avicularia. I found them boring and not reactive enough to food. Mine sucked at hunting and I ended up having to tong feed it, which I don't like doing. That's one mature male that didn't bum me out.
Mine is the same, but furiously grabs the cricket when I out it near her. I love her because she is constantly out an active.

Curious why? As someone who would like to buy one soon and never owned one.

all Phormictopus sp whatever

why?
edit: wouldn’t keep at all
Again I am curious why? As someone who has two on the way.

Mine is only Megaphobema robustum. Owned two and killed both. Very delicate T's from my experience and while beautiful, constantly underground.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Mine is the same, but furiously grabs the cricket when I out it near her. I love her because she is constantly out an active.

Again I am curious why? As someone who has two on the way.

Mine is only Megaphobema robustum. Owned two and killed both. Very delicate T's from my experience and while beautiful, constantly underground.
green femur, green, purple, violet, rainbow. it may be an un described species, but their names are subjective and can be easily misidentified. of all genera, Phormictopus is a mess along with Pamphobeteus. maybe in the future when the genus gets revised

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
green femur, green, purple, violet, rainbow. it may be an un described species, but their names are subjective and can be easily misidentified. of all genera, Phormictopus is a mess along with Pamphobeteus. maybe in the future when the genus gets revised
It gets confusing, that's for sure!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I wouldn’t keep T Seladonia until they’re more affordable and more is known about them. Mine just passed, after about 6 months in my care. I rehoused it recently and it made a new trapdoor. Last Friday, it was alive in it. On Monday I gave it some water, and Thursday I went to feed it and found it in a death curl in it’s trapdoor. While they’re extremely beautiful, I don’t know that it’s worth the stress, especially because of the price and availability. It took me 3 months to get it to make the trapdoor, it was super hard to find info on them. It was eating good, molted. Started wandering around like crazy, got it set up in a new home, it built the trap door and a few weeks later, dead.

Mine died of unexplained causes, but I would like to try with another
I have my reasons and they're not as the hype they should be to be honest.
Do you like L Klugi? Or any other lasiodora?
M. balfouri. Gorgeous spiders, and I love the idea of keeping them communally - but the reality is that I almost never saw them. That's a lot of money to invest in what is essentially a box of dirt.
This is my experience with them as well
h sp columbia lg reason being i seen it the day i got it then seen it again 9 months later after it hooked out and when i gave it up to get bred
dang my two are always out on display
Is this because they’re so reclusive? I’ve heard they’re one of the biggest pet hole

cold blood

Staff member
slow growth, extreme aversion to light, or just being seen....skittish to the point of unpredictable, almost schizophrenic behavior when out of the burrow....this with explosive speed and potent venom (with an inclination to use it) can make re houses just a bit too "fun" ....slings can also be delicate.

theyre cheap, get one and decide for yourself, many love them...i like most ts...mac is just one im not interested in.

Is this because they’re so reclusive? I’ve heard they’re one of the biggest pet hole
I dont mind reclusive, seeing a t rarely is pretty cool....but other reclusive ts that rarely show, will usually give you good looks when they do, just not many....i never had one that ever let me get good looks without my urging them into catch cups....flash glimses all the time, but it gets old, like owning a bigfoot (lol)...for the record, ive raised at least a dozen to at least the juvie stage and several to maturity. (H. macs, not bigfoots:rolleyes:).

Last edited:

jay444

Arachnosquire
almost schizophrenic behavior when out of the burrow....
Gave me a good laugh :rofl: H. Mac are like the ultimate OW expert T along with S.cal. From what I read on this board, the risks of the venom and the hassle of the attitude are not worth the few glimpses you get. I do not plan on getting one anytime soon lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No more H macs or OBT

My avic. avic wont eat unless thong fed as well, but I'd keep her again without a doubt
How’s that possible? Has your Avic trained you to spoonfeed it?

I don’t see how that is possible? It isn’t like they know about tongs etc

jay444

Arachnosquire
No more H macs or OBT

How’s that possible? Has your Avic trained you to spoonfeed it?

I don’t see how that is possible? It isn’t like they know about tongs etc
If I leave crickets in her enclosure she never gets them. They stay on the floor for days and I prefer not to leave live prey for an extended period in any of my enclosures. She is the only tarantula I need to tong feed.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can't tell why really. If I leave crickets in her enclosure she never gets them. They stay on the floor for days and I prefer not to leave live prey for an extended period in any of my enclosures. She is the only tarantula I need to tong feed.
Something isn’t right. All my Avics that I ever owned come down. Weird!

If you feed proper size prey no harm happens to the T. I’ve left cricket or two in with Avics for over a week. Then they magically disappear.

Your Avic has trained you :rofl:

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Maybe- I haven’t seen the setup. When I read that, I normally think an owner just caves in to the Avic. There’s no logic to it.

It’s like saying my snake won’t eat unless the mouse is pre-killed.
My 1/4” Avic went 2 months without eating then only ate when I mutilated a roach, placed it right in front of it, then prodded to roach to make it seem like it was moving.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Poecilotheria metallica with a caveat. I wasn‘t ready for one when I got it, so hands down a learning curve even with all the research I’ve done to date, including before I got it. There are other better looking Poecilotheria out there, not particularly the most attractive pokie in my opinion unless it’s under light.

Mine is reaching 3” or so, unless it calms its behind down it will remain near the bottom of my most enjoyable T’s to keep, but will remain in my collection. I believe it is male, but won’t know until it molts (which I though would happen three weeks ago), no heartbreak there.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My 1/4” Avic went 2 months without eating then only ate when I mutilated a roach, placed it right in front of it, then prodded to roach to make it seem like it was moving.
Basically it didn’t know the prey was dead, and responded to fake movements to simulate live prey- yes?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Basically it didn’t know the prey was dead, and responded to fake movements to simulate live prey- yes?
Yes, but it never went for the live roach. Only the one that I mutilated and moved very gently toward it.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Everyone like to give them these nice looking tall enclosures and sometimes they set up shop in a strange spot and tube up. Depending on how the enclosure opens, it can be difficult to serve up anything. They'll usually come down to hunt when hungry enough but without changes they'll just sit where feeders can't get to them. It can be an annoying waiting game. Smaller is sometimes better to force prey interaction.
Just my two cents with these guys.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Everyone like to give them these nice looking tall enclosures and sometimes they set up shop in a strange spot and tube up. Depending on how the enclosure opens, it can be difficult to serve up anything. They'll usually come down to hunt when hungry enough but without changes they'll just sit where feeders can't get to them. It can be an annoying waiting game. Smaller is sometimes better to force prey interaction.
Just my two cents with these guys.
This is exactly what happens generally.

My AF minatrix makes vast web tubes/clouds. She makes a tube to the water dish, and there’s no way she can sense movement from below. However when it’s night, and she’s really hungry I always spot her legs out from the opening, and ultimately she hangs upside down over the sub scoping out dinner.

Roaches- eh never had much luck with them @MrGhostMantis Some of my Ts turn them into foot rests.