What is a species that you wouldn't keep again?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
This is exactly what happens generally.

My AF minatrix makes vast web tubes/clouds. She makes a tube to the water dish, and there’s no way she can sense movement from below. However when it’s night, and she’s really hungry I always spot her legs out from the opening, and ultimately she hangs upside down over the sub scoping out dinner.

Roaches- eh never had much luck with them @MrGhostMantis Some of Ts turn them into foot rests.
That’s what my C. versicolor does: “Ah what a nice smooth foot rest for my oh so tired 8 feet that a nearly never walk around on because I’m always in my web tunnel and I act like I’m starving then threat pose at food that is way smaller than me and run away from my water dish when I accidentally dip a toe in.”

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That’s what my C. versicolor does: “Ah what a nice smooth foot rest for my oh so tired 8 feet that a nearly never walk around on because I’m always in my web tunnel and I act like I’m starving then threat pose at food that is way smaller than me and run away from my water dish when I accidentally dip a toe in.”
Some Avics test our patience no doubt.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Mine died of unexplained causes, but I would like to try with another
Really hope you have better luck then I did. Don't have the fortitude to kill another. Only T I have killed multiple times.

slow growth, extreme aversion to light, or just being seen....skittish to the point of unpredictable, almost schizophrenic behavior when out of the burrow....this with explosive speed and potent venom (with an inclination to use it) can make re houses just a bit too "fun" ....slings can also be delicate.

theyre cheap, get one and decide for yourself, many love them...i like most ts...mac is just one im not interested in.

I dont mind reclusive, seeing a t rarely is pretty cool....but other reclusive ts that rarely show, will usually give you good looks when they do, just not many....i never had one that ever let me get good looks without my urging them into catch cups....flash glimses all the time, but it gets old, like owning a bigfoot (lol)...for the record, ive raised at least a dozen to at least the juvie stage and several to maturity. (H. macs, not bigfoots:rolleyes:).
Gave me a good laugh :rofl: H. Mac are like the ultimate OW expert T along with S.cal. From what I read on this board, the risks of the venom and the hassle of the attitude are not worth the few glimpses you get. I do not plan on getting one anytime soon lol
No more H macs or OBT
Interesting perspectives from some veteran T keepers.

In terms of speed, skittishness, and being seen how do you compare them to Poecs? Are they really that much more *defensive*?

H. Mac's and S. Cal's are pretty much African Poec's (besides being a continent away). Is their care and behavior really that different?

Perhaps it would be better to start another thread about the comparison. Just wonder why some of the most senior on the forum and so experienced have such an eversion to such common T's? My only comparable experience is with Poecilotheria's.

* Edit

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really hope you have better luck then I did. Don't have the fortitude to kill another. Only T I have killed multiple times.

Interesting perspectives from some veteran T keepers.

In terms of speed, skittishness, and being seen how do they compare them to Poecs? Are they really that much more aggressive?

H. Mac's and S. Cal's are pretty much African Poec's (besides being a continent away). Is their care and behavior really that different?

Perhaps it would be better to start another thread about the comparison. Just wonder why some of the most senior on the forum and so experienced have such an eversion to such common T's? My only comparable experience is with Poecilotheria's.
No T is aggressive

H macs are far more secretive IME, and not as predictable as Pokis IME.

cold blood

Staff member
Completely different animals....in almost every way. Pokies,are among the calmest, most predictable OWs...growth is fast, appetite is good and pokies seem to have a quality macs dont....confidence.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I'll sell my H. sp. Colombia. Never see them at all. If you like this species buy a poster....

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll sell my H. sp. Colombia. Never see them at all. If you like this species buy a poster....
Aw.....really? My H.sp. Columbia is always out and about busy creating cool areas with webbing and a crazy insane appetite. One of my favorites.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I have three, never see them. They're juveniles, maybe the behavior will change...

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
H. Gabonensis.
Mine burrowed when it was a sling and then webbed up the entire enclosure to the point I had to use a flashlight to figure out where it was.
Cool looking spider if you can ever get a look at it though.

jay444

Arachnosquire
H. Gabonensis.
Mine burrowed when it was a sling and then webbed up the entire enclosure to the point I had to use a flashlight to figure out where it was.
Cool looking spider if you can ever get a look at it though.
Saw mine once. I heard they're fantastic eaters, but mine is super shy.

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
H mac, it just doesn't balance out on the ole risk/reward ledger. I will also agree with @cold blood, Pokies are downright chill / predictable in comparison.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Good to know all. H. Mac's are getting crossed off the list in favor of more Pokies lol

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Lasiodora parahybana - There are much better looking species out there that get just as big (or bigger), eat just as well (or better), and don't have any of the negatives that you get with Lasiodora spp. (god-awful hairs/unstable temperaments/etc.).

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Heinously overrated, look much better as slings than as juvies/adults, kick themselves bald in no time at all (which makes them look even worse), and are literally the least interesting heavy webbing species to keep.

Psalmopoeus cambridgei - Psalmopoeus is one of my favourite genera in the hobby but I literally wouldn't raise another cambridgei if you paid me, I've raised two to adulthood and I've seen my Lampropelma nigerrimum female out more times than both of them combined,

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would say A. avic would be something I would never get again. I love the one I have but arboreals are not my favorite as I've come to realize.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I love my LP, he's my first and the one that changed everything, I don't plan on getting another and instead get something of equal size but more colorful to fill his tank space eventually, but if I were to be given another sling I would raise it up. The one I won't buy again is the GBB. I love her too but she's just not my favorite. There's nothing wrong with her behavior wise, she's a bit kicky and bolty, but I think being new and excited I was a bit mislead by all the beautiful saturated pics out there.

Last edited: