Velvet Worm Chat

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Thank you, I appreciate it. Most of the ones in the above photos are not mine, but the ones I do have are quite stunning.

I attached a care sheet made by AbraxasComplex in a post of mine on I think page two of this thread.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
@Ethan J The person mentioned above gladly provides a pdf caresheet for the velvet worms upon ordering.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Glad all the ones I sent to the US are doing great. And yes I have a caresheet (posted on here if you go back or to my Epiperipatus barbadenis thread). There are a few points I plan to edit and modify (like various substrates people have had success with), but all the main points will remain untouched.

Tagdot

Arachnopeon
I also am interested in getting into the velvet worm field including, hopefully breeding. Is the club still around and how do I contact (join)?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yes, we are still around, PM me your email address and I will add you to the email chain we use. Otherwise feel free to post your questions, comments, etc. here so that others can learn from it too.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

jc55

Arachnoknight
I will say that this is the first time i have ever heard of these velvet worms and after reading this post i even checked out some of the worms as well and i must say they are very cool and interesting creatures and i learned something new today so very cool and thanks for sharing.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just an update. All of mine are doing great and I am about to redo their terrarium. So if anyone is looking for some, drop me a message.

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
Just an update. All of mine are doing great and I am about to redo their terrarium. So if anyone is looking for some, drop me a message.
Hi @AbraxasComplex, I tried to send you a private message, but I got an error saying that you reached your inbox limit.

I'm living in Europe and I would really want to get some velvet worms, is there a chance you can PM me about it?

NarcedCeph

Arachnopeon
Hi @AbraxasComplex, I tried to send you a private message, but I got an error saying that you reached your inbox limit.

I'm living in Europe, and I would really want to get some velvet worms, is there a chance you can PM me about it?
I'll fill you in. The Epiperipatus barbadensis is being bred in Canada and the USA (I managed to breed them myself). Getting them over to Europe will be tricky logistically because of the long shipping times/weather conditions and gray area laws for customs. You may need a permit, but I am not sure. The Peripatus spp. It seems to be the genus of choice in Europe. I will look into laws and regulations and see if I can sell them to you. Shipping and import fees will likely cost quite a bit, but if you are willing to spend a bit, we can attempt it once I do more research.

Does anyone reading this have any good resources regarding permits and such?

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
I'll fill you in. The Epiperipatus barbadensis is being bred in Canada and the USA (I managed to breed them myself). Getting them over to Europe will be tricky logistically because of the long shipping times/weather conditions and gray area laws for customs. You may need a permit, but I am not sure. The Peripatus spp. It seems to be the genus of choice in Europe. I will look into laws and regulations and see if I can sell them to you. Shipping and import fees will likely cost quite a bit, but if you are willing to spend a bit, we can attempt it once I do more research.

Does anyone reading this have any good resources regarding permits and such?
First of all, thank you for answering.

I'm not sure about permits needed to send from America to Europe, but this has been done, as I read that @AbraxasComplex sent some to Germany for a Reptile exo, so maybe he can help us with this.
I'm not sure on the cost either, but I can try to find out.

Last edited:

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I'll add something to the conversation here, as someone who regularly sends arthropods to Europe.
For velvet worms, permits are unlikely to be needed for importing, but this may depend on the country. As mentioned above shipping is tricky because you want to minimize the duration the animals spend in transit. Velvet worms are sensitive and suffer from extreme temperature fluctuations and mishandling. That being said, shipping them is possible.
This can be done by air cargo - a super expensive service but will guarantee the shortest transit time (usually 1 day) and safe arrival of the animals. Another option is to ship by a courier like FedEx or DHL using their express service, but please note their insurance coverage normally does not cover live animals. An insulated styrofoam container for shipping is a must, I cannot stress this enough.

If you have any more questions, feel free to DM me. Both AbraxasComplex and I have been shipping velvet worms around the world because we keep large colonies of them.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First of all, thank you for answering.

I'm not sure about permits needed to send from America to Europe, but this has been done, as I read that @AbraxasComplex sent some to Germany for a Reptile exo, so maybe he can help us with this.
I'm not sure on the cost either, but I can try to find out.
I ship using an export company that handles live cargo shipments. It reduces the stress and so far I have had no losses on arrival with about 8 exports so far. No permits were required. Send me a DM again. I cleared my inbox.

CheySlugs

Arachnopeon
Hello Everyone!!
I'm super new and a noob in keeping invertebrates but I am so interested in Epiperipatus barbadensis. If anyone can point in the the right direction, I will definitely appreciate it.

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
Hello Everyone!!
I'm super new and a noob in keeping invertebrates but I am so interested in Epiperipatus barbadensis. If anyone can point in the the right direction, I will definitely appreciate it.
where are you located?