Velvet Worm Chat

Cresto

Arachnopeon
This is the place to talk everything onychophora. There's a lot of interesting, and truthfully pretty weird, things about this amazing species.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Awesome! @Cresto, @schmiggle and I have created the Velvet Worm Club of the USA, so anybody interested in joining us let us know!
I'd like to know everyone's dream onychophora. Mine is Eperipatus barbadensis.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
Awesome! @Cresto, @schmiggle and I have created the Velvet Worm Club of the USA, so anybody interested in joining us let us know!
I'd like to know everyone's dream onychophora. Mine is Eperipatus barbadensis.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
How does one join? Do I need a secret password? I don't own any "onies" but I'm all for establishing these unique beasts in the hobby.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@MoranDisciple, we can chat on here for general velvet worm discussion, and if you want to give us your email we can talk about importing into the US in more detail. No secret password required :D!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I really want to get into velvet worms.
I hope they become more established in the hobby.
@Arthroverts are there special steps in order to import them?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@BepopCola, awesome! As far as I know, a USFWS Import/Export license is a requirement, as APHIS doesn't regulate them, and you have to get your shipment inspected, unless you go through a specialized carrier, like Reptile Express.
I am looking into importing some velvet worms; PM me your email and I can add you into a conversation with some other enthusiasts and we can go into a little bit more depth on this if you like.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

schmiggle

Arachnoking
@BepopCola, awesome! As far as I know, a USFWS Import/Export license is a requirement, as APHIS doesn't regulate them, and you have to get your shipment inspected, unless you go through a specialized carrier, like Reptile Express.
I'll check again, but since USFWS treats these as a domestic animal I don't think you necessarily need a permit. I'll have to go back to the email they sent me. Not sure about the inspection.

Can I join? I'm not American but my parents are :D

My dream Velvet is Peripatus solorzanoi. This is the largest extant Onchophoran and can reach up to 8.7 inches in length.

I'm currently only keeping E. barbadensis but I'm awaiting some P. novaezealandiae (too hot right now to ship those)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Let me consult the other founders; @Cresto, @schmiggle, what do you guys think about @velvetundergrowth's request?

Whoa, solorzano, that is a thick velvet worm! Adding to wish list, downloading, downloading, downloa...
Update us with some pictures of your novaezealandiae when you get them please! Their colors are out of this world.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@velvetundergrowth, after consulting with the two other founding members, yes, you can join! PM me your email and I will add you to the group email chain. Just note that information about pricing/importing won't really apply to you since you're on the other side of the world, ha ha.
Just know we may have a lot of questions for you, since you actually have velvet worms and can get species we can't :).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Does anybody have some tips for how to keep an enclosure at a stable temperature? The area I hope to keep some tropical velvet worms in can fluctuate temp-wise from the low 60s to the high 70s depending on the season. That's fine for tarantulas, not so great for tropical velvet worms.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@AbraxasComplex, of course! Just a warning though: you have a lot more experience to speak of then all the rest of us combined likely with velvet worms, so I can't guarantee you won't be inundated with questions...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Does anybody have some tips for how to keep an enclosure at a stable temperature? The area I hope to keep some tropical velvet worms in can fluctuate temp-wise from the low 60s to the high 70s depending on the season. That's fine for tarantulas, not so great for tropical velvet worms.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
A terrarium thermostat controller can help regulate the temp. I use the Zilla controller for my Damon medius. Zoo Med Hygrotherm does temperature and humidity control, which would be useful for velvets.
Also, your club piques my interest. I've always loved velvet worms and wanted to try keeping them. They're amazing critters! I'd like to help however I can.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Gnarled Gnome, thanks! I'll look into that for the terrarium I'm planning.

If you end up buying velvet worms sometime in the future, it would be a huge help if you would document your experience to share with us (and any offspring you'd be willing to let go of :)), so that more information and care tips can be made public.
Does that mean your interested in joining?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
@Gnarled Gnome, thanks! I'll look into that for the terrarium I'm planning.

If you end up buying velvet worms sometime in the future, it would be a huge help if you would document your experience to share with us (and any offspring you'd be willing to let go of :)), so that more information and care tips can be made public.
Does that mean your interested in joining?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah I'd be interested in joining! I have so many ideas for a secret handshake! :astonished:
I'll message you.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hmm, a virtual handshake. I haven't seen one of those before...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Would you know what the highest temps are that the tropical variety can tolerate?