Velvet Worm Chat

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I like arduino, I've been using it for highland plants. However, if I remember right @wizentrop has said Eperipatus can handle temps down to 12C no problem
Did I really say 12C? That doesn't sound right... I wouldn't go below 15C, but in reality 18C is as low as it gets during the wintertime at my place. Highest temps that I have is around 33C, and they seem to be ok with it if they have a shelter.

skippy666

Arachnopeon
Did I really say 12C? That doesn't sound right... I wouldn't go below 15C, but in reality 18C is as low as it gets during the wintertime at my place. Highest temps that I have is around 33C, and they seem to be ok with it if they have a shelter.
Once I left my Epiperipatus on balcony and it was almost freezing outside, I was not measuring it but I expect they survived 3-5°C without problems.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Well...
They can withstand temps as low as 12C! I wouldn't let them go above 30C though, that's pushing it, even in the wild they are not exposed outside to these temps because they are always hidden between leaves and inside logs
From the first velvet worm thread that @AbraxasComplex started. But if it's 15, then it's 15. No big deal either way, IMO.

@skippy666 why did you leave them on the balcony?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My place has only dropped to 15'C during a power outage last winter. They were all fine after that night. I wouldn't test lower, but one shipment I sent overnight the box got lost and delayed for a few days. The heat pack should have depleted a day or two before it arrived and temperatures may have dropped below 7'C during the nights. They arrived alive, but were very stressed.

As detailed in my thread about my Epiperipatus, I had one individual accidentally spend a week nestled in a dried out pot of sphagnum at a temperature around 10-12°c and survive. Sadly that individual passed a few weeks ago but I suspect it was due to other factors. Although the stress may have contributed to it's downturn.

I keep mine at 22°c with a drop of about 5° at night. They appear to be thriving and are pretty active.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That drop is probably fine. They may not be as active or grow as fast, but this species seems quite capable of thriving in various conditions.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Oh yes, how could I forget!

IMG_6511.JPG IMG_6516.JPG IMG_6514.JPG

They are tiny, only about an inch long. Hoping that they will do well for me and that I can start a colony!
Can't wait to get everyone else's shipped out! I'm looking forward to learning all I can about these incredible creatures!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Haven't seem em' since I placed them in the enclosure, which is to be expected, but I am going to pre-kill a cricket tonight and hope to check on them then.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Fangz

Arachnopeon
Hey is there any place for me to order some tropicals in the US rn? I would absolutely love to work with some.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Fangz, you just missed the import from @AbraxasComplex in Canada. There are about 8 of us working with these in the US now though, so hopefully in the future you will see some more popping up for sale.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey is there any place for me to order some tropicals in the US rn? I would absolutely love to work with some.
Just missed them. However I will do an export next spring when my colony has recouped and shipping weather is more agreeable.