Velvet Worm Chat

Jlaw154

Arachnopeon
asked three months ago about these now I have them.

They even had tiny little water droplet on them.

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 7.48.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 7.49.56 PM.png

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I just got mine this morning.
In hindsight I should've got some pictures before they vanished into the enclosure.
But, here's two!
ss+(2019-10-03+at+09.58.52).png
IMG-2948.JPG IMG-2947.JPG

hecklad

Arachnosquire
Guys I am dying to get some velvet worms. Who do I need to talk to? Also how much do they usually cost?

Jlaw154

Arachnopeon
Guys I am dying to get some velvet worms. Who do I need to talk to? Also how much do they usually cost?
Heard Velvets would be offered up the Spring by MacKenzie in spring. Would be meaning to get some more then myself, if that helps.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@hecklad, you just missed the import. I hear @AbraxasComplex will have more available for import in the Spring; captive bred USA specimens will hopefully be around in a few years or so.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Jlaw154

Arachnopeon
Yes so here's my question.

tank is adequately humidified and their is cork bark for them yet they are always underneath this one arum, As it's on the side of the tank. Not exactly sure thus was wondering if anyone had an explanation i theroize it's due to the sprawling roots, is a social behavior im not aware of, or it's because it's on the side of tank providing near 100% humidity. anyone think they can explain this?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
They may prefer the microhabitat on that side of the cage. They are social creatures as well and prefer to be together.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Anyone else notice their velvets have a designated poop spot? Mine all go in the same crevice on top of a piece of bark. Looked like sooty fungus so I was going to remove it and accidentally dumped it back into the enclosure. :banghead:

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
I have ventured from the myriapod section... It was a mistake... Now I have a new dream pet...
They really are like squishy versions of myriapods. I love seeing their little stubby feet go. The social behavior only adds to the charm, like seeing them cuddled up in a ball.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Anyone else notice their velvets have a designated poop spot? Mine all go in the same crevice on top of a piece of bark. Looked like sooty fungus so I was going to remove it and accidentally dumped it back into the enclosure. :banghead:
I hardly ever see mine, so no, I haven't noticed that. They are however in a 10"x5"x5" enclosure, which is huge considering they are still tiny babies. What size enclosure are you keeping your's in?

I have ventured from the myriapod section... It was a mistake... Now I have a new dream pet...
You have seen the light: now go forth and discover all that the hobby has to offer...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
They are in a glass cylinder about 6' wide by 8' high. Gonna move them to something bigger soon. I dont see them much either, besides an occasional peak into a burrow. The poop pile was on top of a piece of cork that's sitting on the surface

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
They are in a glass cylinder about 6' wide by 8' high. Gonna move them to something bigger soon. I dont see them much either, besides an occasional peak into a burrow. The poop pile was on top of a piece of cork that's sitting on the surface
Gotcha. That cylinder sounds quite interesting; any pictures?

They are so secretive it's maddening! I've only seen 1 velvet worm at a time, during three separate instances since I've gotten them, and that's only with lifting up the hides. Just so long as food keeps disappearing I can think I'm doing alright, but its still nice to see them every now and again. They are treats for the eyes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
The wooden lid seals shut. I keep it loose for a little ventilation. These lids also have a circular depression in the middle. I altered another one by drilling that center out and siliconed some screen in there. May do the same with this one, but will probably just rehouse into something a bit bigger.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Hmm now I need to figure out if I can import these to Hawaii (legally)... They are social??? Damn they are really cool! The climate here would be perfect for them. The humidity where I live is 80-90% and the temp ranges from 80-65.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Nicholas Rothstein, I believe I shared the caresheet @AbraxasComplex put together for this species a few pages back; that should have all the information you need/want.
As for importing into Hawaii, I have no idea, although they are probably more strict than the laws for the Continental US. Those temps and humidity are pretty spot on though.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
@Nicholas Rothstein, I believe I shared the caresheet @AbraxasComplex put together for this species a few pages back; that should have all the information you need/want.
As for importing into Hawaii, I have no idea, although they are probably more strict than the laws for the Continental US. Those temps and humidity are pretty spot on though.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I have been looking at a few more websites and I called the Hawaii dept. of Ag and they said I need to file for an exception check and all sorts of stuff. I am pretty sure the person I was talking to had no idea what they were talking about. I emailed one of the inspectors, hopefully they can fully lay out the process to me. Although the lady I talked to said they are quite busy!

I'd love to document my care of velvet worms for science!

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Wow, I just found out how some velvet worms reproduce. One species drops sperm sacs on the female's skin and her skin dissolves so the sperm can enter. She literally gets a hole in her body but doesn't die from infection because of their awesome anti-microbial properties!

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Wow, I just found out how some velvet worms reproduce. One species drops sperm sacs on the female's skin and her skin dissolves so the sperm can enter. She literally gets a hole in her body but doesn't die from infection because of their awesome anti-microbial properties!
Nature is a crazy thing. Some molluscs stab each other to inject sperm. Angler fish males parasitize the female and are absorbed into her body. It all makes me glad to be a mammal. ;)