Velvet Worm Chat

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Nature is a crazy thing. Some molluscs stab each other to inject sperm. Angler fish males parasitize the female and are absorbed into her body. It all makes me glad to be a mammal. ;)
Apparently Nautilus detach their penis and it swims around looking for a female. Life is pretty crazy. I spent the last few hours learning about various animal reproduction systems.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Apparently Nautilus detach their penis and it swims around looking for a female. Life is pretty crazy. I spent the last few hours learning about various animal reproduction systems.
No, this is paper nautili, Argonauta nodosa. Similar common name, but relatively distant phylogenetically.

Wow, Great to see so many people with Velvet Worms! I'm happy to say I just discovered mine have bred, hopefully you will all have the same success in the coming months!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Awesome @velvetundergrowth! I'm just really hoping I got both a male and female in my trio so that I don't have to do any swaps with anyone else.

Mine are doing pretty well as far as I can tell; I'm seeing them a little more, and I chalk that up to me misting in the evening more often now. Their photophobia is so frustrating though. I found one while feeding them, and grabbed my phone to take a picture; in the space of the about 5 seconds it took me to pull up my camera, the lil' bugger had completely concealed itself in the substrate.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
20191204_223208.jpg
Anyone else getting slime-spray on the sides of your enclosures? Not bothered by it, just curious.

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Ohh, yeah I've had this,
I thought it was the random snail that I had sneak in.
So did I at first. I've had several in the past when using store bought moss. But when I looked close it's definitely a thin white line like velvet slime. Wish I got to see them do it.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Can't say I've seen this, but the sides of my enclosure are opaque with some condensation, so I probably wouldn't see it anyways.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Really helpful information here. Thank you to everyone on the thread for sharing observations and what has been working for you.

XxSicknessxX

Arachnopeon
Magnificent animals. Following this thread as I’m very interested in owning a colony myself

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I just saw two of mine after months of looking at sphagnum moss, which is a huge relief; they really fattened up!

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Doesn't mean they will expose much of their body for a photo however...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Ethan J

Arachnopeon
@MoranDisciple, we can chat on here for general velvet worm discussion, and if you want to give us your email we can talk about importing into the US in more detail. No secret password required :D!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Hey so funny enough velvet worms are my favorite arthropod. And I was actually curious if there was any direction you could point me in to get my hands of some of these guys.

Ethan J

Arachnopeon
Yeah I know but they're distant relatives and they are my favorite among other arthropods as well but you're right. I just cut a few corners.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Did Panarthropoda become a thing? Cause if it did you could accurately call them panarthropods I suppose, ha ha.

Hey so funny enough velvet worms are my favorite arthropod. And I was actually curious if there was any direction you could point me in to get my hands of some of these guys.
Anyways, @AbraxasComplex is the person to talk to about that.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Ethan J

Arachnopeon
Not sure if it has yet, though last I checked it was still just a concept. And thank you for the info its super appreciated and helpful Arthroverts. Also your velvet worms are super cute and they look great. One last thing do you know of any Velvet worm care sheets for the tropical variety? Thanks again Ethan.