URGENT QUESTION.

cold blood

Staff member
Sling can mean a lot...how big is the one you have purchased.

I wouldn't advise keeping it in a vial no matter the size...too much room for error and considering its your first, I urge you to simplify. House it in a condiment cup...like this.

If its an inch or bigger, house it in a 16oz deli cup...like this or like this

These options allow for much easier and more efficient ventilation, as well as offering more floor space for a terrestrial. IME G. pulchripes are pretty much born borderline too big for a vial.

All 3 pics contain G. pulchripes.

Last edited:

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
Sling can mean a lot...how big is the one you have purchased.

I wouldn't advice keeping it in a vial no matter the size...too much room for error and considering its your first, I urge you to simplify. House it in a condiment cup...like this.

If its an inch or bigger, house it in a 16oz deli cup...like this or like this

These options allow for much easier and more efficient ventilation, as well as offering more floor space for a terrestrial. IME G. pulchripes are pretty much born borderline too big for a vial.
Not purchased yet but The Spider Shop says it is 1cm.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Almost confirmed I'll get a G. pulcherips sling very soon. I will give it a pill vial. How much substrate and what temperature?
THE URGENT QUESTIONS;
What do I do when it molts?
When do I give the sling a water dish?
What do I feed it?
Are they handleable as slings?
How do I remove the molt when it has shed?
How do I get the molt if it molted in its burrow?

THESE ARE URGENT QUESTIONS AS I WILL BE GETTING IT VERY SOON.
If it's a tiny sling, premolt will last a very short amount of time. It could molt every couple of weeks if temperatures and food are sufficient.
The sling can have a water dish above an inch. A bottle cap should be fine at that point. They float, so they won't drown.
Feed it something that's about the size of its abdomen about twice a week. Slings need to be fed a lot to get them to grow.
NO they're not handlable as slings. They're very fragile, almost as much as the average bug that you squash every day.
Just wait until the sling has flipped back over onto its stomach, then just pick the molt up. If the sling is right next to it, wait until it walks away.
It'll throw out the old exoskeleton if it molts underground.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Lovely gold! I think my fear is getting better as I can now appreciate their beauty.
I hope your sling turns out to be female, because males have the shelf life of milk. They live for like 5 years from birth to death by cripplingly old age. Females live for decades.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
I hope your sling turns out to be female, because males have the shelf life of milk. They live for like 5 years from birth to death by cripplingly old age. Females live for decades.
I won't mind a male, but a female would be ideal. Can you help me sex it when/if it arrives?