Today in the Spider Room?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20241005_222539.jpg
Here's the male Haploclastus devamatha from the previous pictures, proudly sitting in his newly constructed throne of detritus lol.

20241005_222550.jpg
The female has opted for a more austere look, presumably for the curb appeal lol.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 484479
Here's the male Haploclastus devamatha from the previous pictures, proudly sitting in his newly constructed throne of detritus lol.

View attachment 484480
The female has opted for a more austere look, presumably for the curb appeal lol.
Real estate agent: This first home here is in the Frank Lloyd Wright style, while simultaneously appearing nouveau. It really reflects the environment and blends right in, but also has textures and angles and curves.
This second home is for the security minded. It is strong and secure, with a Princess in the tower feel.
Both great choices.

Spinnenfritzi

Arachnopeon
Since last molt my Bumba sp tapajos tries to hide when i enter the room.... except she just hides its "Face" and Pedipalps in her Hide...the rest sticks out verticaly like an Ostrich ... its hilarious :rofl:
1000007639.jpg

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Came back from vacation to find my G. rosea dead. I'm absolutely gutted. I've lost nearly half my collection this year and I'm very close to rehoming the rest because I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing something wrong.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Came back from vacation to find my G. rosea dead. I'm absolutely gutted. I've lost nearly half my collection this year and I'm very close to rehoming the rest because I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing something wrong.
Ugh, I’m so sorry to hear this. You know the drill. Check your husbandry, check for any toxins, post pics. If you find nothing, it’s probably not you, though I know it’s really hard not to think it is. I remember someone else here going through this last year, I think it was. Have you moved recently? New animal? New neighbors? New roommate? Weather is changing, anything changed in your house? These are all just guesses. I hate to see a fellow keeper that cares so much about his T’s think about giving them up. :-(

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Ugh, I’m so sorry to hear this. You know the drill. Check your husbandry, check for any toxins, post pics. If you find nothing, it’s probably not you, though I know it’s really hard not to think it is. I remember someone else here going through this last year, I think it was. Have you moved recently? New animal? New neighbors? New roommate? Weather is changing, anything changed in your house? These are all just guesses. I hate to see a fellow keeper that cares so much about his T’s think about giving them up. :-(
I don't have any changes that have gone on that I can think of. This spider molted about a month ago and it wasn't a great molt so I'm pretty certain that's the cause. It wasn't catastrophic like the one that I lost my V. chromatus to, but not great. Her abdomen wasn't formed right, it had two sore spots on it and she had a lot of external fluid leakage even after she had hardened. I checked her over for any obvious open wounds and couldn't find anything. I left for vacation last week and had someone checking on my Ts while I was gone, and she was active on Saturday. Came home this morning and she was gone.

While realistically I can assume it was just the molt and this spider was likely much older than I thought, it's difficult for me to stay positive as a keeper when I've lost so many this year.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I don't have any changes that have gone on that I can think of. This spider molted about a month ago and it wasn't a great molt so I'm pretty certain that's the cause. It wasn't catastrophic like the one that I lost my V. chromatus to, but not great. Her abdomen wasn't formed right, it had two sore spots on it and she had a lot of external fluid leakage even after she had hardened. I checked her over for any obvious open wounds and couldn't find anything. I left for vacation last week and had someone checking on my Ts while I was gone, and she was active on Saturday. Came home this morning and she was gone.

While realistically I can assume it was just the molt and this spider was likely much older than I thought, it's difficult for me to stay positive as a keeper when I've lost so many this year.
It’s sounds like her demise was a bad molt, as you already knew. You are an experienced keeper. You know what good husbandry is and I have no doubt you’ve wracked your brain for what could have possibly gone wrong with each of them (and maybe you do have the individual answers for most of them and it’s just their crap timing being so close together). At this point, it’s trusting what you know and remaining vigilant for any changes with the others (and all of us here on AB, hey!). It’s the people who don’t care that need to rehome their T’s, not the ones that do.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I rehoused some larger slings yesterday and today:

0.2 Heterothele sp. Zanzibar
PA070026.JPG

They're sac mates, both confirmed female, kept on the shelf right next to each other and fed at the exact same time, but one is almost twice the size of the other - 2" DLS vs 1.25" DLS. Here they are in the same vial:
20241008_010050.jpg

0.2 Theraphosinae sp. dorado, both about 1.75" DLS and starting to show some gold setae on the carapace:
P9300017.JPG
P9300009.JPG

0.0.1 Ornithoctonus costalis, 2" DLS - this one pulled a runner on me...
P9300020.JPG

And one of the neighbors stopped in for a visit, so I had her stay for dinner...
Scolopendra polymorpha (no idea on sex, but guessing it's a female since it's the biggest one I've ever seen at +/- 6"):
PA070022_1.JPG
PA070023.JPG
She'll be released after I get another meal or 2 in her. I'm not anti-centipede, but I don't need one as a pet, lol 😆.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
20241008_122153.jpg
Caught this girl out yesterday, Hera my Harpactira pulchripes saf. While not the best pic, its a pic, it's took 6 months of waiting to even see legs n wow what a set of legs they are 🥰 hopefully it won't take another 6 months to see them again 😆

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I guess she would prefer that I not water her enclosure right now, lol...

Phormingochilus sp. Akcaya, young adult female:
20241012_190337.jpg

She came running up from the depths of her burrow to tell me to beat it.

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
My Cyriocosmus perezmilesi female dropped a phantom egg sac several days ago. Today I pulled it, fed her and opened the sac just to see how many eggs there were.
IMG_2102.jpg
(The white dots are not mold, I used too much sandy clay in the substrate mix.)
IMG_2105.jpg
There were a total of 92 unfertilized eggs.
Bonus photo of my confused girl.
IMG_2103.jpg

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Paired my irminias in the wee hours of the morning. Witnessed two insertions. I guess he was all, “For Valhalla!” as he didn’t even hold her fangs. He went in for a third after she was already walking away, but I stopped him. I’ve seen too many pairing vidies of greedy males getting snagged by what had been a calm female up to that point. This chap is just shy of a year past maturing molt, but still tapping and randy, so we’ll see if she produces a sack.