Today in the Spider Room?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Anastasia, my ancient female G. rosea just flipped on her back to molt. Immediately after I bought her several years ago I noticed that she had a cyst/ ulcer on her abdomen. I've been feeding her sparingly to control her weight and it's only gotten slightly bigger over the last 3 years. I'm very nervous that she may not make it through the molt. I'm hoping for the best....that she molts out of it with a new, stronger exoskeleton underneath.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20230824_230114.jpg
1.1 Avicularia variegata. I have a decent amount of air circulation in my room and I've noticed that most of my larger Avics are quite senstive to this and will frequently post up and "hunt" near this disturbance, almost like they're waiting for something to fly by in the "wind". It's a pretty interesting behavior to see.

20230822_154043.jpg
Juvenile Aphonopelma sp Michoacan. I think this one's female, but I'd like a molt to be sure.

So, I now have juveniles of both Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue and Phormingochilus everetti to compare and contrast. They're within 0.75" DLS of each other with the Sabah Blue being the larger of the two.

Here's the P. everetti around 3.25" DLS and relatively freshly molted.
20230825_213948.jpg

And here's the P. sp Sabah Blue closer to 4" DLS:
20230824_230630.jpg

corydalis

Arachnoknight
One of my juvenile C. marshalli turned out to be a girl, so I gave her a fresh cricket as a reward (who was sentenced to death in accelerated procedure for eating its molting comrade the other day).

IMG_3993.JPG
IMG_4000.JPG
IMG_4016.JPG

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
Almost all of the Psalmopoeus reduncus 1st instars moulted to 2nd instars, aka. spiderlings, during the last 24 hours. It will be interesting seeing the final count but I have a feeling the 60 pots I've made won't be enough lol.

20230830_023237.jpg

Also rehoused my Ephebopus murinus, Virna, to her adult enclosure today now that she's reached about 4.5 inches DLS. She's been a bit feisty lately, even rearing up into a threat posture with visible drops of venom on her fangs the other week when I refilled her water dish, so I was ready for her to put up a fight. Lucky for me she was a doll this time around and just strolled right in.

20230831_032816.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Almost all of the Psalmopoeus reduncus 1st instars moulted to 2nd instars, aka. spiderlings, during the last 24 hours. It will be interesting seeing the final count but I have a feeling the 60 pots I've made won't be enough lol.
Agreed. I counted 56 1i slings in your last picture. I imagine there were over 4 easily buried in that dog pile that I couldn't see lol. Good problems to have though.

So, I carefully watch the amount of specimens that I have in relation to the amount of available space I have with the goal of never having the former outpace the latter. Awhile ago, I made the decision to temporarily cap my collection for a bit as I have a lot of growout slings that will require quite some space soon, atleast until I can sex them and figure out what I'm working with. Now I've stuck to this temporary cap quite well, but I had things in the works prior to this self imposed restriction that took some time to sort out. Starting tomorrow and over the next two weeks, I have some very hard to find specimens arriving for some future breeding projects that, well frankly, I'm very excited about :) .

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
Agreed. I counted 56 1i slings in your last picture. I imagine there were over 4 easily buried in that dog pile that I couldn't see lol. Good problems to have though.

So, I carefully watch the amount of specimens that I have in relation to the amount of available space I have with the goal of never having the former outpace the latter. Awhile ago, I made the decision to temporarily cap my collection for a bit as I have a lot of growout slings that will require quite some space soon, atleast until I can sex them and figure out what I'm working with. Now I've stuck to this temporary cap quite well, but I had things in the works prior to this self imposed restriction that took some time to sort out. Starting tomorrow and over the next two weeks, I have some very hard to find specimens arriving for some future breeding projects that, well frankly, I'm very excited about :) .
My estimations are notoriously bad and this is proof enough lol. Oh well, could be worse I suppose! I've got deli cups to spare... unless there's suddenly 3501 of them, then we'll have a problem.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
My estimations are notoriously bad and this is proof enough lol. Oh well, could be worse I suppose! I've got deli cups to spare... unless there's suddenly 3501 of them, then we'll have a problem.
They're so cute! Especially when they're just starting to get some fluff. Congrats.

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
Lost one of my two Cyriocosmus elegans freebie slings. Lost as in totally gone, no trace in the substrate. I guess it died a few weeks ago and decomposed entirely. The other one took down prey immediately, I'm glad that one is doing well.
When it rains, it pours. A Cyriocosmus ritae L4 sling isn't doing well. Refused food for two weeks (could be premolt), yesterday I found it with legs slightly curled inward and barely responsive. I thought it would be trying to molt right side up, but in the morning the curl just got worse. I gently flipped it on its back, added a drop of water and a smashed piece of a roach. It uncurled a bit, slightly twitching its legs and it appears to have grabbed the roach, so fingers crossed. Though the abdomen doesn't look dehydrated/starving to me. I'm just hoping I didn't disturb an unusual molt attempt...
Update: after an hour it moved to the side of its vial and curled again.

2023-09-01 00.42.26.jpg 2023-09-01 07.32.33.jpg 2023-09-01 08.28.35.jpg

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
And the final count for the Psalmopoeus reduncus sac is... 82 slings! My preliminary count when opening the sac was 89 EWLs, and with the losses I noticed along the way 82 seems very reasonable. Happy and healthy bunch!

20230902_005427.jpg

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Juvenile Tliltocatl vagans from 2021 / Brachypelma auratum after molt
DSCN8318.JPG DSCN8297.JPG

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 0.1 / Cyriocosmus leetzi with her sexy skeleton legs
DSCN8305.JPG DSCN8310.JPG

Two years ago I bred Theraphosidae sp. piura and now I have beautiful Thrixopelma pruriens ;-) / ...and I also killed my Hognose offspring (again).
DSCN8303.JPG DSCN7802.JPG

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
...and I also killed my Hognose offspring (again).
Don't worry, they tend to have more lives than a cat lol.

I got a little behind this week, so I need to catch up on the feeding rounds. Got 74 juvies/adults to feed and water, so step one is get the prey items collected up:
20230902_122003.jpg

Then, after I get the weekly husbandry rounds finished, I have to start making a dent into my "needs rehoused" list. All of these and then some will be filled with growing tarantulas lol.
20230902_122133.jpg

And then, after all those rehouses, I'll have to do the dishes...... Again.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Well, stage one husbandry is done and I got a few pics as I was working through the collection.
20230902_141327.jpg
0.1 Poecilotheria ornata, probably getting close to 7" DLS. Here she is trying to figure out how many lateralis males she can fit in her mouth lol (she stopped at 5 because I stopped feeding her lol).

20230902_134401.jpg
1.0 Avicularia variegata. This is a really photogenic spider. He rarely bolts and is almost always out and about.

20230902_135900.jpg
Anyone else have a tarantula that has "herbivorous" tendencies lol. This enclosure belongs to a MF O. sp Hati Hati and she likes to do the pruning for me lol.

20230902_141018.jpg
0.0.1 Avicularia avicularia M2. These were the first avics that I ever got and I still need to get this one sexed.

20230902_131504.jpg
0.1 Pelinobius muticus giving me the demon stare. This was my first tarantula and the one that started it all. I got her from a show as a 0.5" sling in 2016 or 2017. I RARELY ever see her above ground in full glory, but that'll be changing soon as she's finally due a rehouse. I'm thinking she's pushing 6.5" DLS, but I'll find out for sure hopefully in a few weeks.

20230902_134729.jpg
Here's a VERY good meal for this 0.1 Psalmopoeus irminia following a recent molt.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Well, stage one husbandry is done and I got a few pics as I was working through the collection.
View attachment 454570
0.1 Poecilotheria ornata, probably getting close to 7" DLS. Here she is trying to figure out how many lateralis males she can fit in her mouth lol (she stopped at 5 because I stopped feeding her lol).

View attachment 454574
1.0 Avicularia variegata. This is a really photogenic spider. He rarely bolts and is almost always out and about.

View attachment 454572
Anyone else have a tarantula that has "herbivorous" tendencies lol. This enclosure belongs to a MF O. sp Hati Hati and she likes to do the pruning for me lol.

View attachment 454571
0.0.1 Avicularia avicularia M2. These were the first avics that I ever got and I still need to get this one sexed.

View attachment 454575
0.1 Pelinobius muticus giving me the demon stare. This was my first tarantula and the one that started it all. I got her from a show as a 0.5" sling in 2016 or 2017. I RARELY ever see her above ground in full glory, but that'll be changing soon as she's finally due a rehouse. I'm thinking she's pushing 6.5" DLS, but I'll find out for sure hopefully in a few weeks.

View attachment 454573
Here's a VERY good meal for this 0.1 Psalmopoeus irminia following a recent molt.
The demon stare is a stunner! This would be a nice print for a brown shirt 🤣

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
So, I now have juveniles of both Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue and Phormingochilus everetti to compare and contrast. They're within 0.75" DLS of each other with the Sabah Blue being the larger of the two.
Speaking of Phormingochilus and P. everetti in particular, I found out today that I have a massive ID issue with my Phormingochilus.

Back in January of this year, my local breeder and dealer got in 10 Phormingochilus everetti slings (as claimed by him in a phone call earlier today, which was made for reasons that will become clear below). I purchased one of these slings almost immediately (it's the sling I've posted as P. everetti to the media section for a while, though it's nowadays impossible to photograph due to webbing), followed by a second about a month later.

Well, that second "everetti" sling has become a juvenile by now, and....

For those unaware, P. sp. "Rufus" are hilariously cheap in Korea (as in, slings go for $CA 5.00 at most, often less) due to rampant overproduction (this has actually been a consistent issue with Asian arboreals in the Korean trade, and I've personally had issues with it in the past). P. everetti meanwhile go for around ten times as much (prices for true everetti have fallen but not to the same extent). So I am starting to suspect that the breeder ripped me (and others) off by selling 10 P. sp. "rufus" slings as P. everetti slings. I don't have a recent photograph of the first "P. everetti" sling I acquired for aforementioned reasons, but it's also showing the colorations of a sp. "rufus"

But wait, there's another twist to the tale, because during the earlier "P. everetti" transaction back in January I also got a supposed P. sp. "rufus" sling as a freebie. And here is that freebie sling 8 months later:

....yeah, that raises even more questions. I am not sure if this supposed "sp. "Rufus"" is actually a P. everetti (or some other Asian arboreal) but it sure looks like a dead ringer for an actual everetti. If that was the case, this would mean that it was mislabelled at the shop. Did my dealer accidentally mix up the ten everetti slings he got with his much more numerous sp. "rufus" slings? If so, this could be a fairly major problem for the Korean T hobby in general with potential hybridization issues due to keepers not knowing they have the wrong species of spider. Or did he never actually have any P. everetti, and both the freebie and the slings I purchased as everetti are all sp. "Rufus", making it an intentional scam on his part?

And what about all the other slings I got from him, including both of my Lampropelma nigerrimum and my juvenile P. arboricola? I've sexed her as female based on the fact P. arboricola is sexually dimorphic, but is she even a P. arboricola? All three of my P. ornata are suspect as well, especially with potential pokie hybridization issues (thankfully the P. metallica I got from the same breeder is so obviously a metallica, I can rest easy knowing it's what it is supposed to be).

This was not a nice thing to learn about last night and I really need some sort of resolution to all this.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Speaking of Phormingochilus and P. everetti in particular, I found out today that I have a massive ID issue with my Phormingochilus.

Back in January of this year, my local breeder and dealer got in 10 Phormingochilus everetti slings (as claimed by him in a phone call earlier today, which was made for reasons that will become clear below). I purchased one of these slings almost immediately (it's the sling I've posted as P. everetti to the media section for a while, though it's nowadays impossible to photograph due to webbing), followed by a second about a month later.

For those unaware, P. sp. "Rufus" are hilariously cheap in Korea (as in, slings go for $CA 5.00 at most, often less) due to rampant overproduction (this has actually been a consistent issue with Asian arboreals in the Korean trade, and I've personally had issues with it in the past). P. everetti meanwhile go for around ten times as much (prices for true everetti have fallen but not to the same extent). So I am starting to suspect that the breeder ripped me (and others) off by selling 10 P. sp. "rufus" slings as P. everetti slings. I don't have a recent photograph of the first "P. everetti" sling I acquired for aforementioned reasons, but it's also showing the colorations of a sp. "rufus"

But wait, there's another twist to the tale, because during the earlier "P. everetti" transaction back in January I also got a supposed P. sp. "rufus" sling as a freebie. And here is that freebie sling 8 months later:

....yeah, that raises even more questions. I am not sure if this supposed "sp. "Rufus"" is actually a P. everetti (or some other Asian arboreal) but it sure looks like a dead ringer for an actual everetti. If that was the case, this would mean that it was mislabelled at the shop. Did my dealer accidentally mix up the ten everetti slings he got with his much more numerous sp. "rufus" slings? If so, this could be a fairly major problem for the Korean T hobby in general. Or did he never actually have any P. everetti, and both the freebie and the slings I purchased as everetti are all sp. "Rufus", making it an intentional scam on his part?

And what about all the other slings I got from him, including both of my Lampropelma nigerrimum and my juvenile P. arboricola? I've sexed her as female based on the fact P. arboricola is sexually dimorphic, but is she even a P. arboricola? All three of my P. ornata are suspect as well, especially with potential pokie hybridization issues (thankfully the P. metallica I got from the same breeder is so obviously a metallica, I can rest easy knowing it's what it is supposed to be).

This was not a nice thing to learn about last night and I really need some sort of resolution to all this.
Happens on purpose and accidentally, depending on the seller. I got one of my favorites as a pink bloom bird eater and it turned out some other relative in the genus.
I fed these spiders today!! And 1 more. IMG_4437.jpg IMG_4436.jpg I IMG_4433.jpeg IMG_4439.jpeg IMG_4435.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

....yeah, that raises even more questions. I am not sure if this supposed "sp. "Rufus"" is actually a P. everetti (or some other Asian arboreal) but it sure looks like a dead ringer for an actual everetti. If that was the case, this would mean that it was mislabelled at the shop. Did my dealer accidentally mix up the ten everetti slings he got with his much more numerous sp. "rufus" slings? If so, this could be a fairly major problem for the Korean T hobby in general with potential hybridization issues due to keepers not knowing they have the wrong species of spider. Or did he never actually have any P. everetti, and both the freebie and the slings I purchased as everetti are all sp. "Rufus", making it an intentional scam on his part?

It looks like you do have a P. sp rufus and P. everetti, so it appears to be just a simple labeling mistake that happened somewhere down the line. I wouldn't immediately start questioning every other sling you purchased from them, but I'd keep good records of what you did and try to verify their identity before they ever leave my collection.

I had something similar happen to me recently with some small Aphonopelma sp Michoacan juvies. Bought three from two different vendors, started to question why they didn't look anything like my adults, and started to investigate. One of the vendors is a buddy of mine and he helped me kick the can back to the importer, who then reached out to their breeder overseas who confirmed they had a mixup and sent slings from a Tliltocatl eggsack labeled as A. sp Michoacan, but they didn't say which Tliltocatl sp.

AFAIK, the importer took the "A. sp Michoacan" slings off their wholesale list, but didn't send out any communication about the mixup, so that's going to be a problem for anyone trying to breed this species in the future..... Basically, if you purchased an A. sp Michoacan and it looked like this when young, then it's not A. sp Michoacan:
20230524_124215.jpg

Anyways, the three "A. sp Michoacan" juvies I purchased, which were actually a Tliltocatl sp, were gifted to a friend who understands their identity problem, and I have since purchased other animals from the same importer. I'm raising them up now, so we'll see if they turn out to be the right species lol.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
It looks like you do have a P. sp rufus and P. everetti, so it appears to be just a simple labeling mistake that happened somewhere down the line.
Really hoping that the "freebie rufus" turns out to be P. everetti, because I would be gutted if one of the main target species for my collection turned out to not be in it a all.

Of course, it would still be an overall loss for me even if the freebie turned out to be an everetti, mostly because of the high likelihood of that first P. everetti sling I purchased as such also turning out to be P. sp. rufus (meaning I'd have two P. sp. rufus and one everetti when it should be the other way around-and rufus are a dime a dozen this side of the Pacific, so it's very for me to get a bunch of slings or even a sexed female, which can't be said for P. everetti).

To say nothing of what would happen to the hobby over here with who knows how many mislabelled P. everetti and P. sp. "rufus" have been kept as the wrong species for the past 8 months (and given how quickly Phormingochilus grow, possibly already bred with the wrong species in the worst-case scenario).

AFAIK, the importer took the "A. sp Michoacan" slings off their wholesale list, but didn't send out any communication about the mixup, so that's going to be a problem for anyone trying to breed this species in the future..... Basically, if you purchased an A. sp Michoacan and it looked like this when young, then it's not A. sp Michoacan:
Yep this is the sort of scenario I am worried about after what happened.

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Got a new shelf for all of my Ts a few days ago. Now they're all easily accessible and easily seen. It feels great to have them all together in one spot instead of scattered over several pieces of furniture.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
Rehoused the LP sling today- mine is definitely living up to the "grows like a weed" reputation.
How it started- May 3rd 2023 20230503_103445.jpg
How it looks today, Sept 4th, 2023, freshly rehoused. It's molted three times since I've had it, and is rapidly approaching the 3" DLS mark, I think. 20230904_143823.jpg