Today in the Spider Room?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
My new girl (C. huahini) getting comfortable in her new enclosure and enjoying a hissing roach. I'm still trying to think of a befitting name for her. 4001756583270842768.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I lost a 0.1 Poecilotheria metallica a week ago today, right before I left on vacation. I realized about a month ago that she hadn't molted since February/March '21. I had to watch her get slower and decline, hoping for a molt. Alas, she passed at a little over 3.5 years old. I'll perform a necropsy soon to see if I can get some answers, but I doubt I will.

Other than that, everyone else was perfectly healthy on my return with quite a few molts. I'll be attempting to pair my second 0.1 P. sp Sabah Blue this week as well. I had attempted to cohab them prior to leaving, but she wasn't really receptive at the time.

UndertowINC

Arachnopeon
Not super exciting for most people, but I'm easy to please.

I welcomed two little fuzz nugget T. Albo slings to their new home. Which was so, so much easier than my last round with my little gbb sling. She was like an adorable boss fight.

They just kinda lazily bumbled out of their transport cups with some paint brush guidance and into hiding. Took about 5 minutes in total to unbox and house both of them.

Back from work now around 9 hours later and they're already out of hiding and just hanging out all stretched out. I'll still give them until tomorrow to feed them, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they would already eat right now.

Edit: They're pretty skinny for slings. I decided to try to feed them since they seem pretty relaxed already and remove the food before bed if not. They were all about it and are eating now.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20220824_204613.jpg
Probably one of the most disconcerting events in my tarantula room in recent memory. I have NO idea how tarantula excrement got on the OUTSIDE of my 0.1 P. sp Rufus enclosure. It"s not a hard water stain because I use RO water and it's source appears to be above all the cross ventilation. She's never bolted out of her enclosure, she was rehoused quite some time ago, and she's in her burrow. Further, every tarantula that's ever entered my room has been accounted for. This is just wierd...

A cursory check of all enclosures show they're all secured shut and no vent inserts have been dislodged. I'm doing husbandry now, so I'm checking on everyone just to be sure.

Vulash

Arachnosquire
Are you sure it's T poo? Did it pass a taste test? Also, what is the "0.1" - I see a similar 3 digit format in the classifieds

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
About 95% sure. I have a theory as to how it got there, but I won't be sure until I visually see every tarantula I have that's large enough to have "produced" it.

In regards to the numbers, it's a common zoology nomenclature for the sex ratio of a given species (male.female.unsexed). So if I have 1.2.5 of a species, then I have 1 confirmed male, 2 confirmed females, and 5 specimens with an unknown sex.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 427189
Probably one of the most disconcerting events in my tarantula room in recent memory. I have NO idea how tarantula excrement got on the OUTSIDE of my 0.1 P. sp Rufus enclosure. It"s not a hard water stain because I use RO water and it's source appears to be above all the cross ventilation. She's never bolted out of her enclosure, she was rehoused quite some time ago, and she's in her burrow. Further, every tarantula that's ever entered my room has been accounted for. This is just wierd...

A cursory check of all enclosures show they're all secured shut and no vent inserts have been dislodged. I'm doing husbandry now, so I'm checking on everyone just to be sure.
After confirming that every tarantula is still in its enclosure, the only logical conclusion is the excrement was sprayed out of an extremely small ventilation hole by the 0.0.1 Citharognathus hosei that resides in the neighboring enclosure.

Once you rule out the probable, your only left with the improbable lol.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
...the only logical conclusion is the excrement was sprayed out of an extremely small ventilation hole by the 0.0.1 Citharognathus hosei that resides in the neighboring enclosure.
Well neighbors don't always get along. Maybe the hosei was letting it's neighbor know what it thinks of them. :rofl:

sasha99

Arachnopeon
My C. Fimbriatus decided to wipe down all the webbing on the front wall of her enclosure and now i can clearly see her in there.
IMG_20220902_160217.jpg IMG_20220902_161406.jpg

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
This was yesterday, not today - but I was trying to get a pic of my B hamorii's underside. He/She didn't oblige but I got my first nice pic of them anyway. Bought as an unsexed grown-on sling three years ago, now about 2.5 or 2.75 inches and looking like a proper little T 😍

374DD1C6-9348-465A-86E3-9F748D594EB9.jpeg

Chris73G

Arachnopeon
Cleaned and refilled water dishes yesterday. Over night, my vagans did put a small piece of dry spaghnum moss halfway into the dish which completeley drained the water of of the (not small) dish into the substrate.
If i ever get a broken water pipe or smth in the house i´ll just use some spaghnum moss to dry it out :)

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Appears I may have lost one of my O. sp HCM slings to a bad molt. Legs 1, 2, and 3 on the right side were stuck in the molt midway down the femur a few days ago, but with the sling being only 3/4", there was really nothing I could do that would help it more than harm it. The plan was to wait for it to harden up, see if I could get a meal or two into it, then help it autotomize the stuck appendages once I was sure it had everything in it's favor for recovery. Just glanced in it's burrow and it appears to have passed, will confirm later tonight. This species has been the bane of my existence since 2019, yet I perservere...

Edit: Man I swear, this freaking hobby has the highest highs and the lowest lows. My proven and paired Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue just dropped an eggsack

Chris73G

Arachnopeon
My latest addition to the eight-legged-family finally ate. Got her like 4 weeks ago and when i first tried feeding her with a locust (a bit bigger than her carapace), she would tread-pose the locust and back off. Tried again after a week with a smaller locust, same story. Thought she might be in pre molt since her butt is a bit bald, but not dark, still kinda active and not hiding so i bought some crickets today and tried again with a cricket no bigger than her carapace which she threw hairs at and backed off a bit. As one last try i smashed the crickets head and placed the almost dead cricket kinda in front of her. After 15 minutes of repeatedly touching the cricket and backing off again like "hmm i want it...or do i not?" she finally cautiously picked up the cricket and began to eat.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Rehouses galore!
20221013_095356.jpg
Eleven tarantulas were upgraded today, some much overdue. Here are 10 of them, all small slings and juvies, mostly unsexed. There are three Avicularia variegata, three Avicularia avicularia M2 (ex A. braunshauseni), one Phormingochilus pennellhewlettorum, one hold back Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue, and two hold back Phormingochilus sp Akcaya.

Here's one of the A. variegata just hanging out.
20221013_091853.jpg

The eleventh and final transfer of the day was one that I was quite nervous about. It was this girl:
20221013_094320.jpg
That's a paired 0.1 Poecilotheria rufilata over 8" DLS. She's always been one of the flightiest tarantulas I've ever kept and her turn of speed is mind boggling for such a large tarantula. Thankfully, I was able to remove her cork bark flat without setting her off and managed to slowly get the catch box over her uneventfully.
20221013_094624.jpg
20221013_094651.jpg
She's just an absolute monster and hopefully there are many more years of growth in front of her (she's only about 4 years old).
20221013_095559.jpg
20221013_095205.jpg
Into her new home, one of my prototype breeding enclosures. This one is 13 gallon IIRC. Now it's time to start pumping food into her and get her conditioned.

Bonus:
20221013_101654.jpg
Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue EWL's day 38.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Rehoused versi on Monday. It did not want to let go of the old enclosure... Even after I had to take out all the furniture.
PXL_20221010_150318199.jpg

Now getting comfy in the new enclosure's best hidey-hole, already webbing it up.
PXL_20221013_010440575.jpg
PXL_20221012_082637147.jpg