Today in the Spider Room?

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Today we discovered a nice I. mira eggsac, had a B. rudloffi molt and finally got a mature Cyriocosmus sp tambopata. He did lose a leg during the molt but is no worse for wear. Cannot wait to breed these Cyriocosmus.
IMG_20221020_145417862~2.jpg
IMG_20221020_151342959~2.jpg
IMG_20221020_152642237~2.jpg

Hi all
Today rehoused 15 spiders( mostly juveniles and few speedy adults in particular my Holothele longipes AF called Speed Demon) and there is few more probably in a week or two.The one rehouse Im not looking forward is my 8 inch female A geniculata she is very skittish and extremely flicky.It will be a real shame to ruin the bum fuzz by disturbing her but needs to be done.Few long waited moults too of my Pamphobeteus sp Costa, Grammostola inheringi and my Xenesthis sp blue girls. Unfortunately my Brachypelma emilia and my Grammostola Pulchripes refuse to moult even after quite a few months of fasting.Really desperate for the B emilia to moult as bought her more than two and a half years ago from another hobbyist and haven't had a moult with me yet to confirm she is actually a girl.
Regards Konstantin

zachmanton

Arachnopeon
I had four molts today. One tarantula (Poecilotheria rufilata) and three mantids (Phyllocrania paradoxa). Also added 2 scorpions (Heterometrus spinifer).

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
My A. chalcodes sealed up her burrow today and is going into brumation. We're due to get snow this weekend, so it's obvious that winter is on its way.

Chris73G

Arachnopeon
Rehoused my juvenile boehmei into a smaller enclosure.
When i got her, i had an enclosure for adults (12x12x12) ready and the critter keeper which i usually keep the feeders in as backup plan in case she would be too small to put her in her final enclosure already. Then i sat there "Hmm...the critter keeper wouldn´t be too small...on the other hand she´s already half the adult size so she wouldn´t get lost in the bigger enclosure either and height won´t be a problem, all my other tarantulas settled down quickly after 1-2 days and almost never climb anyway...yay, this will work out well, wouldn´t it" - so i did put her in her final enclosure.
Well, murphys law kicked in and little missus boemei didn´t think about settling in and being a good terrestrial girl, instead she keeps climbing and even hanging from the ceiling for well over a month now. At first i was like "she just needs more time to settle down than the others, just wait", but then i noticed she´s definitely worse at climbing than my other terrestrials (maybe premolt, although she´s still quite active or maybe juveniles arent good at keeping the grip on glass due to less contact surface because of the tiny feet?) and saw her loosing grip and falling a few times.
Today i finally pulled the plug, bought her a smaller, flatter plastic container, drilled some ventilation holes in it and rehoused her; now she´s got like 1x her DLS between substrate and top.
Lesson learned and i just hope she didn´t already took internal damage from falling.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Finally rehoused this pretty lady out of her sad pet store container into something more appropriate.
PXL_20221029_013829769.jpg
PXL_20221029_013851908.jpg
She spent a few minutes carefully exploring the new place, crawled up the bark and literally posed for photos for about 60 seconds, then went back to exploring. What a prima donna...

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I realized that my MM Poecilotheria metallica, who is still eating weekly and making sperm webs, matured in August...... of 2020.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I realized that my MM Poecilotheria metallica, who is still eating weekly and making sperm webs, matured in August...... of 2020.
20221123_085600.jpg
Here's the grizzled old man himself, stuffing his face with two male lateralis.

Zoopy

Arachnopeon
My A. Geniculata seems to have finally discovered the wonders of burrowing. You can't see it so well, but behind her in this photo is a hole that she burrowed overnight, First time she burrows. Still no sign of when she's going to molt, though. Hopefully in the next few days.

PXL_20221123_123425055.jpg

And a little extra treat, even though it's not a tarantula. My 3rd Instar Phidippus Regius Everglades seems to be preparing for her molt too. She's ignored her fruit flies for a few days and spun a thick web today, so hopefully she'll molt by the weekend and can then move into a slightly bigger container next week.

PXL_20221123_202327846.jpg

Hi all
Today is a mix of good and bad experiences.
Will start with the bad.
I have ordered last week couple of spiders from two different places.
Due to Royal mail (postal service ) with the sellers we decided to ship them with a little delay on 28th for delivery on 29th November.Today even with using the Royal mail special delivery before 1pm service both parcels are no show. Praying and hoping the parcels will be delivered tomorrow in good shape.
Unfortunately there is another strike action tomorrow and on 1st December too.
Fingers crossed all ends up well.Both spiders are not slings and both have heart packs in them.
The good news is that I received my first lot of custom made enclosures that fit perfectly on my shelf. Couldn't be more happy with them
Apart from the dimensions I need.I requested to have the substrate retaining wall underneath the front vent higher so I can have better substrate dept.Also better vent material and some top access for maintenance and what not.The top removable panel is locked with the height of the front door.
And best af all is that they cheaper than branded product with similar dimensions and don't need modifications.
Few pics below of individual tank and full setup.
20221129_150105.jpg 20221129_150112.jpg 20221129_150214.jpg 20221129_150409.jpg 20221129_150418.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
Hi all
Busy day today in the "spider room"(my bedroom actually but hopefully I will get there eventually. lol)
Them shiny new enclosures from my previous post and few medium low exo terras got setups ready and few of my girls have new homes. They were not happy to be moved and apart from the G pulchra all kicked hairs like there is no tomorrow especially my Pamphobeteus sp Costa that went all metal but calmed down in the catch cup and after desided is not going to leave it. lol
I am still waiting on the silicone to cure on one of the exos acrylic lid modification and next week should house my Xenesthis sp Blue girl in it once Im able to close it securely.I thought 3 bags of top soil and 20l vermiculite will do me for them but unfortunately I run out of substrate before last enclosure was ready. Anyway I ordered more dirt so once thats delivered I'll finish the setups. Shelf is coming along nicely I think.
Few pics below
20221206_205355.jpg 20221206_205401.jpg 20221206_205412.jpg 20221206_205421.jpg 20221206_205428.jpg 20221206_205441.jpg 20221206_205453.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Chris73G

Arachnopeon
I looked into the enclosure of my juvi boehmei today and noticed that she did put a piece of cork bark on one half of the entrance of her burrow to partially seal it and was like "wait, were did she get that cork bark from, the ones i cluttered around the enclosure all are where they should be?", then i remembered that i used a piece of cork bark to seal of a gap on the back of her burrow. And yes, she actually did remove that (bigger than herself) piece and somehow carried or boxed it around her burrow to its front to use it there.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aside from the new addition of a 0.1 P.cam, my T.albo decided to break her months-long fasting period. Or maybe S.tartara are more tasty than the B.dubia she kept rejecting.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20221221_200601.jpg
Making some new enclosures. I have 16 tarantulas in need of a rehouse that I'm going to attempt to get them all moved this week.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
You know someone is going to ask... where'd you get those enclosures?!
Oh I know lol, took me a long time to find clear containers with dimensions like that (and no stupid recessed handles :shifty:). Forum rules prevent me from posting a direct link and I don't want to have to DM it to everyone, but I can say they're from The Container Store. If you type 10080434 (that's the SKU) into the search bar of their website, you'll pull them up. You can get a pack of 4 or buy them singly for a rather reasonable price. I haven't modified any yet, so I don't know how brittle they are.