Today in the Spider Room?

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I swear my L. klugi identifies as a very angry OBT. I cautiously remove her water dish as she's threat posing and slapping in the opposite end of her enclosure and go to put it back so I can fill it when she takes it to a whole new level and comes zipping across the enclosure and slaps the dish right out of my tongs and sends it flying. Sheesh... it was great fun trying to retrieve the dish then:eek:
Malificent Feb 2020.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Miss Hissypants is suffering from pre-molt syndrome. As I filled her water dish, she unexpectedly lunged toward me and slapped my hand with surprising strength. She then held this threat pose for several minutes.

I was initially worried that she was having a bad molt, because from one angle it looked like she had popped her carapace, but she seems way too lively for that.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I swear my L. klugi identifies as a very angry OBT. I cautiously remove her water dish as she's threat posing and slapping in the opposite end of her enclosure and go to put it back so I can fill it when she takes it to a whole new level and comes zipping across the enclosure and slaps the dish right out of my tongs and sends it flying. Sheesh... it was great fun trying to retrieve the dish then:eek:
View attachment 335253
That threat pose is a double whammy

This needs to be a meme....totally :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Today was a great day.

My order of A. geniculata and blue phase A. seemanni finally came in...I had placed this order back just before Christmas in 2019. The A. seemanni had moulted twice and the A. geniculatas were as expected.

Everyone has been rehoused into 4x4x4 AMAC boxes and look to be doing fine. As soon as the grand kiddos get home, we’ll pull them all out and feed them.

Tomorrow my order of D. diamantinensis should arrive, just ducking a strong spring snow storm that is headed our way.

Once this week is over I can relax and start worrying about Covid-19.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My A. chalcodes has been quite the character today. It's rained for 3 straight days and the extra moisture in the air is making her climb. She's climbing and slipping all over the place. The best thing that happened was her "spitting" some water at me. After going to her water dish she climbed the walls but didn't completely drink the rest of the water drop in her mouth so she just let it go while I walked by.

And I got a new T! Exciting day.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
T. albo rescue is officially a MM. I caught him doing something very strange to his fake plant yesterday......Pretended not to see anything, didn't want to make it awkward. I just quietly backed out of the room.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
T. albo rescue is officially a MM. I caught him doing something very strange to his fake plant yesterday......Pretended not to see anything, didn't want to make it awkward. I just quietly backed out of the room.
You're supposed to knock.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Snow storm rolling in tomorrow.

Order of D.diamantinensis coming in today. I’ve been waiting a long long time for these to be shipped.

PedipalpPix

Arachnopeon
I thought my B. emilia sling was going to come out today for the first time after rehousing but he seems to still be in a digging mood, lol.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
A somber week that's seen the loss of two mature males. First one being one of my two matured Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng Krachan that both hooked out in November, a very unfortunate timing as the weather was too cold to safely ship out for any breeding opportunities. His brother doesn't seem to be too far behind schedule, so I imagine it's only a matter of time before he passes away as well.

The second was a real doozy to discover, my old N. incei who was the father of my first egg sac. He had a good run though, and was creeping up on a full YEAR mature in May. RIP little dude, may you find many crickets in that web in the sky. :'(

20200224_133147.jpg

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I brought in 8 D.diamantinensis slings, 10 A.geniculata & 6 A.seemanni slings, 7 P.sazimai & 1 L.parahybana freeby. Lost 1 P.sazimai during shipping, container popped open and sling was just gone. Then I lost another P.sazimai the next day. No problems since...all seems to be moving smoothly.

I fed my tiny slings last night, these slings were supposed to be 1/2” or 3/4”, depending on the order. But I guess you deal with what actually comes in.

I fed them tiny B.lateralis roaches. Just checked all the slings, removed boluses, removed uneaten food items (3 uneaten).

1F87453F-5331-49F7-8A66-645EA65B0B9D.jpeg

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
It's been raining for about 5 days and all of the spiders think they will drown and they're all climbing the walls. All except my G. porteri, unfazed by it all.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
My GBB is finally showing its adult colors after this last molt. It’s already devoured a small lateralis last weekend so I figured what the heck, lets see how it reacts to an adult lateralis...what happened next made me so grateful for all ya’lls advice for being prepared for whatever may happen.

So, I drop the roach at the entrance of its web tunnel and the roach walks into its hide. As I move my face towards the OPEN doored enclosure to listen for the crunch, I got my first experience with a true bolt. Like a lightning bolt, Out the door, across the top of my other two enclosures (cubes) down the back and underneath the last cube that happens to be resting on a wire shelf which is where I stopped here with my catch cup.

About that catch cup. I did have one ready, but thats not what I grabbed. I grabbed the cup with the roaches in it that are now...all over the floor. Managed to finally get her back into her cube and wrangled up as many roaches as I could find.

It’s funny how a bolting tarantula can take your mind of Covid

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
FINALLY! After 4 and a half days my N. coloratovillosus came down from the walls. I rehoused her into something much smaller and she was not too happy with the process and stuck to the walls. She came down, immediately found her new hide and started webbing inside it. :D

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
My N. coloratovillosus sling has been totally MIA since I put it in its new enclosure. I figured it had made a burrow below the moss because it certainly hadn't used the cork bark.

Went to moisten the substrate today and took a peek under the moss.....nothing. No sling, no burrow, nothing.
So either it simply entombed itself within the substrate, died, or is halfway to South America with my credit card.

Joke's on him though. That card's maxed out.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Lucille (N. coloratovillosus) found a cricket under a piece of cork bark but couldn't fit underneath it. She stayed like this with her butt in the air for over an hour determined to catch it IMG_20200408_012543265.jpg .