Today in the Spider Room?

magneto

Arachnoknight
20200218_210543.jpg
Help! My spider is having a heart attack. Anyone know a good guide to tarantula CPR? Not looking forward to the mouth to mouth part if I'm being honest.

#Happy Sarcasm

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Finally, I think that my Aphonopelma seemanni is feeding.

Back History: I re-housed my little A. seemanni late last November, and it pouted and whined and complained for months; stress poses every day, all day. In early January I dropped a ping pong ball into the enclosure. The spider would push the ball around...mostly at night, and then finally in late January it started digging a burrow.

Latest Update: Over the Valentine's Day Weekend, I dropped a few roaches into the enclosure and THEY ARE GONE. I cannot find them anywhere in the enclosure.

I think it's back feeding...THANK GAWD!!!!

4E85C1F2-4548-4A69-ABF7-E227B196C299.jpeg

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Finally, I think that my Aphonopelma seemanni is feeding.

Back History: I re-housed my little A. seemanni late last November, and it pouted and whined and complained for months; stress poses every day, all day. In early January I dropped a ping pong ball into the enclosure. The spider would push the ball around...mostly at night, and then finally in late January it started digging a burrow.

Latest Update: Over the Valentine's Day Weekend, I dropped a few roaches into the enclosure and THEY ARE GONE. I cannot find them anywhere in the enclosure.

I think it's back feeding...THANK GAWD!!!!

View attachment 334369
wait soooo your A. seemanni would like "play" with the ping pong ball at night?? ive never heard of anyone doing anything like this before!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
wait soooo your A. seemanni would like "play" with the ping pong ball at night?? ive never heard of anyone doing anything like this before!
My grandson was throwing a ping ping ball at the cat, he's 1.5 yo...so I took it and put the ball in with the spider and basically forgot about it.

Then one day my wife asked me why I was moving the ping pong ball around in the enclosure...that was when I started paying a little bit of attention, and I noticed that yes, the ball was getting moved pretty regularly.

Then one night I went out into the kitchen and turned on the light, and the tarantula was above the ball...and for lack of a better explanation, “playing with it”...it was hanging from the glass and kicking the ball with its hind legs, then when the ball moved, it would move along the glass and again kick the ball with its hind legs. I should have taken a picture...craziest thing I'd ever seen.

Another time I saw the spider on top of the ball walking with the ball rolling underneath it.

So we all started paying attention. During the day it would move the ball a bit, but at night...that ball was in a different location every morning.

Now that the spider has Doug its burrow, it doesn’t play much with the ball anymore.

I was showing my daughter the burrow that the spider had Doug, and she thought that I was referring to the spider as Doug...so now her name is “Doug”.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My grandson was throwing a ping ping ball at the cat, he's 1.5 yo...so I took it and put the ball in with the spider and basically forgot about it.

Then one day my wife asked me why I was moving the ping pong ball around in the enclosure...that was when I started paying a little bit of attention, and I noticed that yes, the ball was getting moved pretty regularly.

Then one night I went out into the kitchen and turned on the light, and the tarantula was on top of the ball...and for lack of a better explanation, “playing with it”...

So we all started paying attention. During the day it would move the ball a bit, but at night...that ball was in a different location every morning.

Now that the spider has Doug its burrow, it doesn’t play much with the ball anymore.

I was showing my daughter the burrow that the spider had Doug, and she thought that I was referring to the spider as Doug...so now her name is “Doug”.
This is SOOO interesting!! I wonder what behavior this might simulate in the wild? I plan on getting an A. seemanni this year and I would love to repeat this and see if its only yours that does this or if theres some type of "inquisitive/playful" behavior some tarantuals can have. It sounds different than just like a type of dirt moving behavior if it was on top of the ball as well as moving it around.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
This is SOOO interesting!! I wonder what behavior this might simulate in the wild? I plan on getting an A. seemanni this year and I would love to repeat this and see if its only yours that does this or if theres some type of "inquisitive/playful" behavior some tarantuals can have. It sounds different than just like a type of dirt moving behavior if it was on top of the ball as well as moving it around.
Well first you have to re-house it and really piss it off. :bag:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Im sure ill have that opportunity in its life time. you should try this with some of your just straight terrestrial species, and see if you have any similiar results! im definitely going to try it as well, when they are big enough

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Today I fed this wild jumping spider who has graced me with her presence in my spider room. She’s scared of me, so I held up a worm on a tray to her eye level atop the curtains, and sure enough she stalked and tackled it like a champ! I’m glad my polite dining service was a success. :p

81EA3EBA-B978-4C63-ABF9-834D6876CBAE.jpeg

Eukio

Arachnosquire
I gave her a water dish and a starter burrow. For 6 months-9 months, I waited for her to make a burrow, but she absolutely refused and was stressed without one (lazy...LAZY TARANTULA). I finally bought and buried her a hide, and she took to it straight away. For a year following, I never saw her because she was always in her in her hide except for the rare occassion, but lately she has been out a lot, and it has been refreshing to see her more.
lazytarantula.png

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Picking up a group of Phormictopus tomorrow at the Repticon in Denver. The vender is also bringing another species of Phormictopus for me to look at...though its a smaller group.

If only he had 3 more...I’ll probably wind up getting them as well

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
A few months ago I made an updated enclosure for my juvenile female P. Cambridgei, Crawlspace. This included hot-gluing moss and artificial plants to a cork round to create a naturalistic hiding place. Well, today Crawlspace has decided that she doesn't like my taste in interior decorating. She's started systematically plucking off all of the plants and moss I glued onto the cork round and dumping it in her water dish. At least she's giving me honest feedback I guess!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Im sure ill have that opportunity in its life time. you should try this with some of your just straight terrestrial species, and see if you have any similiar results! im definitely going to try it as well, when they are big enough
If you come across any coal black Aphonopelma seemanni, drop me line. It would be greatly appreciated.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Rehoused a bunch of these fuzzbutts today. :)
3AA6ED19-FB98-4D96-B90C-205DD26E78DD.jpeg
I asked for one or two from a breeding loan and was given 10, so I guess I’ll have to sell some soon. For now I’m just enjoying the plethora of peachie paws!

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I've heard of people doing this but had never tried it until a couple of weeks ago. I gave my P. cancerides a ping pong ball and he does move it around, he dug a pretty deep hole in one corner of the enclosure and it fell into it so I figured he wasn't going to be able to get it out of there. Wrong...the next morning it was in the opposite corner.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I've heard of people doing this but had never tried it until a couple of weeks ago. I gave my P. cancerides a ping pong ball and he does move it around, he dug a pretty deep hole in one corner of the enclosure and it fell into it so I figured he wasn't going to be able to get it out of there. Wrong...the next morning it was in the opposite corner.
Yeah I am definitely going to try his very soon!! Cool to hear someone else as tried this too

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Went to the Repticon in Denver today. Had a wonderful time...first time going to something like this....10/10 would fo again.

Came home with 8 Phormictopus, a frog, and a starter culture of springtails

CDDE417F-BCBD-4BB9-ABE2-D891B4AA6E72.jpeg 81451D67-2C20-47DF-BC01-5717F554B521.jpeg 7BBE9C95-1061-4BFB-82EB-6148297C1681.jpeg

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Went to the Repticon in Denver today. Had a wonderful time...first time going to something like this....10/10 would fo again.
Man...you guys in other states have the BEST Repticon experiences. That looks AMAZING. Half the time the one in my city doesn't even have inverts!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I was actually surprised that there were so many invertebrates. It was mostly promoted as a Reptile expo..what a great experience.