Today in the Spider Room?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
That is seriously impressive. Especially if you have a bunch of slow growers. Frankly, I'm looking forward to shorter, cooler days. I'm sick to death of having to keep up with all these molts and rehouses!
All mine are Pamphos, so not exactly slow growers, but I'm a bit impatient and want to get them out of the sling stage ASAP :playful: That and my house gets down to 68-69 and I'd rather them be a bit warmer than that in case the low temps cause any problems. I wish I had that problem lol

Last edited:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
All mine are Pamphos, so not exactly slow growers, but I'm a bit impatient and want to get them out of the sling stage ASAP :playful: That and my house gets down to 68-69 and I'd rather them be a bit warmer than that in case the low temps cause any problems. I wish I had that problem lol
Whereas I look on sweaters and jackets with longing you wouldn't believe. We are all so excited here in Phoenix because we are getting some of hurricane Rosa tomorrow and Monday, which will drop the temperature down below triple digit for the first time in a long time! I can't even imagine what it will be like to walk outside and the temperature be in the 80s! Heaven! You always want what someone else has, isn't that so?

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Well, it finally happened. One of my tarantulas flipped it’s dish: 2815FDBA-F0CA-4BAF-998B-8F503501A40F.jpeg

Update: It flipped it the right side up on the opposite side :wideyed:
C4488F73-A85F-44B5-96F9-78BF479DA038.jpeg

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Today we found our recently paired P. murinus female with an egg sac :D

Whereas I look on sweaters and jackets with longing you wouldn't believe.
This is the story of my life. I cannot actually function in a sweater/jacket until it is below 40°F degrees... otherwise I get too hot ):

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I wonder what that's about? Any theories? Seriously, is he just trying out this new cool thing he figured out how to do?
I'm guessing it's just his male instincts kicking in a bit prematurely. (He doesn't do it often; it's the first time I've heard him drum.)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Have to leave for a couple days so I put my parents in charge of the keeping the house temp above 69 so hopefully nothing happens to my T’s...

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was playing the ribbon game with Bulldozer (pulchra, left) when Genicula (right) climbed up to investigate, so I let them play tug of war against each other.

While Bulldozer is bigger, it wasn't long before Genicula got the upper hand due to his enthusiasm.

Genicula finally won by yanking the ribbon into his cage, but he fell into his water dish and thereby lost some of the dignity of victory.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Apparantly everything’s going well, I told my parents to send me temperature updates every night and morning along with a photo. And my dad took notes of who was out in the morning and right before bed lol

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Apparantly everything’s going well, I told my parents to send me temperature updates every night and morning along with a photo. And my dad took notes of who was out in the morning and right before bed lol
That's attentive.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
So, for whatever reason, my sleep schedule is always kerfuffled. More often than not I’m so exhausted I pass out when I get home from work, then wake up some hours wide awake. Last night was one of those nights.

One my inadvertently favorite things to do in this state of hyperconsciousness is do rehousings (because what better thing to do is there at or around 1 in the morning than this?).

So, rehoused the P. metallica sling. Has a much larger piece of cork bark to hang out on/hide behind which is good because the old one was rather small. Also think it’s getting somewhat close to molting so also a decent time to do it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
One my inadvertently favorite things to do in this state of hyperconsciousness is do rehousings (because what better thing to do is there at or around 1 in the morning than this?).
I tend to feed whatever slings are out again and fill up water bowls whenever I wake up in the middle of the night lol

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Finally! My T. cyaneolum just re-surfaced after being buried away for a whole month.

resurfacing_AB.jpg

It definitely has moulted, the question is when...? :confused: How do you determine the day of moulting for documentation purposes? Normally, I'd just go a week back, but somehow I don't think it moulted just a week ago. What's your experience with Ts that really buried away for moulting?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
It definitely has moulted, the question is when...? :confused: How do you determine the day of moulting for documentation purposes? Normally, I'd just go a week back, but somehow I don't think it moulted just a week ago. What's your experience with Ts that really buried away for moulting?
Normally, with fossorials and terrestrials, I make a starter burrow for them against the side of the enclosure so I can see what’s happening (mold growing, molting, etc.). Never had one reject a burrow, but I’d just put the dates it was in its burrow as an approximation. For feeding, I would just try feeding it as it looks like it may be getting hungry (as it’s in a stance where it’s waiting for prey to come by).

Got some shopping done and took some, I mean kindly asked before taking, some possible future enclosures after they grow out of their deli cup enclosures.
6EF7F755-4EB0-4AE5-AF36-F8957FEE6651.jpeg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It definitely has moulted, the question is when...? :confused: How do you determine the day of moulting for documentation purposes?
If I do not know the exact date when it molted, I just record the date I found the molt or saw it reemerge (and note that it is not the day of the molt).

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Yep, the day I find the molt is registered as the day they molted. That way I'm always on the safe side in terms of offering food.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yep, the day I find the molt is registered as the day they molted.
If I did that some of my Ts would never get any food again. :p Not all of my Ts bring out their moults at some point. For example, my. B. albo juvie/sub-adult has moulted at least three times in the same burrow, but I never saw a shred of moult. They must be piling up inside, it probably uses them as wall decor or such. :rolleyes:

But I guess the day of reemerging could work for me. ;)

boina

Lady of the mites
Well my O. schieodtei disappeared, presumed dead, and the first of my three M. balfouri males matured. They are not really that big, so I may not rehouse them again - in a medium kritter keeper right now. Also, I have a migraine and feel like crap and the cats are complaining because their food is late and this has really not been my day...

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well my O. schieodtei disappeared, presumed dead, and the first of my three M. balfouri males matured. They are not really that big, so I may not rehouse them again - in a medium kritter keeper right now. Also, I have a migraine and feel like crap and the cats are complaining because their food is late and this has really not been my day...
Was fuer ein Sch...tag! :yuck:

I'm sorry for your loss and everything else going on right now. Hope tomorrow will be better! :)

Marika

Arachnoangel
G. rosea sling ate for the first time in my care, yay. A. bicoloratum has already eaten twice.