Thinking about giving handling a try with my L.parahybana, but she's MEAN. Any tips?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Probably the only "aggressive" tarantula in my collection--she up bull-rushed at me the other night when I was messing with her tank for maintenance.

I've been thinking I might start handling her to see if I can calm her down a bit.

Now, there are some people who think that handling is a bad idea. I've had read the arguments, and, frankly, I think the fears are over-rated, especially given that I intend to be very careful, and just handle her on the ground. So, if you're advice is not to handle, just because you think handling is a bad idea, in general--if you must disagree, please be respectful. Now, if you think handling is a bad idea, in this instance particularly for some reason, feel free to point that out.

The big reason I want to do this, is that she is going to be a very big spider, and I don't want a very big, very angry spider on my hands in case I need to help her with a molt or anything later on.

Now, the problem, is that she kind of scares me, she's already bigger than a G.rosea, and she can book it just as quick as my H.mac when she really wants to.

Or is this just a lost cause?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Handling a feisty tarantula you are apprehensive around or afraid of is a very stupid idea. Handling the spider will not calm it down, it's not a dog, you cannot train it.
One of you is likely to end up injured.

babyjay

Arachnopeon
well, that wasn't very nice...
to be honest, working with my two tarantulas... one tends to be very skittish, while one was more agressive! now, the more aggressive one has passed ):
but she was friendly to those who were friendly back, and the skittish one was the same, just more likely to suddenly curl up in fear... i disagree, even though i'm a novice... i think you can probably 'train' your spider to become more accostumed to you.
of course it isn't a dog... but you aren't trying to teach it any tricks, are you?

is there a reason people don't suggest wearing gloves when handling tarantulas? i can see how it might reduce mobility, but if you could find a suitable pair, then why not?
i suggest, as opposed to the floor, maybe a large empty tank (maybe some substrate too), so it doesn't run too far... and keep your hands low, so you don't drop it.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I do handle Ts - but ONLY those who don't seem to mind it. I have had in the past and now several that it was "no way Jose". Yes, some say it stresses the spider, and it might. But I have had Ts that would willing come over to a hand, sit, and be gently stroked on the leg or abdomen.

Basically, if the T give you signs of aggression - don't try it. You will stress it that way, as continually being near it in that state will eventually cause it to run, jump, strike or all of the above. It may fall, it may bite, and it will end badly.

Handling, if done at all, should only be done with docile specimens, and even so, your favorite crawly may decide at any time that it doesn't want to be touched, picked up, or even looked at. Seasonal changes, molt patterns, humidity, scent, who knows what factors may affect them.

I seriously would NOT try it with a spider you already feel is "mean".

My 2p

Marga

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Handling a feisty tarantula you are apprehensive around or afraid of is a very stupid idea. Handling the spider will not calm it down, it's not a dog, you cannot train it.
I've read enough about it that I'm pretty sure it will calm it down eventually, both in the TKG and here. If it was something like a Haplo, or a Pokie--then, definently no, but an LP? Might be worth a shot.
My fear is why I'm looking for suggestions.

I've been in the hobbby over a year, and have about 10 T's at this point.

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The " T Whisperer"

If you already have heard the pros and cons of doing this, and you think we are pounding sand. Why would you even waste your time asking this question? If you think you can tame your T have fun and I'll watch the bite reports. Kevin

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats the best and most inteligent advice, IMO, while this:

i think you can probably 'train' your spider to become more accostumed to you.

Is a quite dumb advice.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I do handle Ts - but ONLY those who don't seem to mind it. I have had in the past and now several that it was "no way Jose". Yes, some say it stresses the spider, and it might. But I have had Ts that would willing come over to a hand, sit, and be gently stroked on the leg or abdomen.

Basically, if the T give you signs of aggression - don't try it. You will stress it that way, as continually being near it in that state will eventually cause it to run, jump, strike or all of the above. It may fall, it may bite, and it will end badly.

Handling, if done at all, should only be done with docile specimens, and even so, your favorite crawly may decide at any time that it doesn't want to be touched, picked up, or even looked at. Seasonal changes, molt patterns, humidity, scent, who knows what factors may affect them.

I seriously would NOT try it with a spider you already feel is "mean".

My 2p

Marga
Good points.

If you already have heard the pros and cons of doing this, and you think we are pounding sand. Why would you even waste your time asking this question? If you think you can tame your T have fun and I'll watch the bite reports. Kevin

Because my focus on handling isn't "my spider is cute, I wanna play with it, " it's "I'd like my spider to be a bit more calm, in case something happens later."

TheBugBarn

Arachnopeon
I make the trained dog vs. tarantula analogy with people all the time. You're actually the one being trained in tarantula handling.
Also, consider fast aggresive Ts like tropical fish. You'll never hear anyone wanting to pet thier fish. And, most fish don't bite.
Last but not least. If you play with fire, have a first aid kit ready.

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good points.

Because my focus on handling isn't "my spider is cute, I wanna play with it, " it's "I'd like my spider to be a bit more calm, in case something happens later."
Nothing that happens later is gonna avoid at 100% a bite.
You do not need to handle her, she wont get tamed. If an accident comes and you need to reach to her she might bite you or she might not, NO MATTER WHAT.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I make the trained dog vs. tarantula with people all the time. You're actually the one being trained in tarantula handling.
Also, consider fast aggresive Ts like tropical fish. You'll never hear anyone wanting to pet thier fish. And, most fish don't bite.
Last but not least. If you play with fire, have a first aid kit ready.
Hey, if I'm the one being trained, that's perfectly fine by me.
I've been getting jumpy around all my T's lately, and if it keeps getting worse I might have to leave the hobby.

Nothing that happens later is gonna avoid at 100% a bite.
You do not need to handle her, she wont get tamed. If an accident comes and you need to reach to her she might bite you or she might not, NO MATTER WHAT.
Hey, that's fine. If we can make me less jumpy around her, that's fine too.

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Because my focus on handling isn't "my spider is cute, I wanna play with it, " it's "I'd like my spider to be a bit more calm, in case something happens later."[/QUOTE]

WOW! Talkin about not payin attention. The advice has been given, we do not think you will calm her down handling her. Do what you want ,but don't ask for advice if your not willing to keep your keyboard shut and listen. Kevin

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've already stated I disagree with that assertion. Others have re-stated said assertion already, and more respectfully.
In any case, is there any way in which "training" me is a bad thing?

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Here's a tip:

Use a large cup/whatever to handle her. Just herd her into it. You don't necessarily have to use your hands. It's how I handle my tarantulas, and I've had no problems.

If there's a serious enough problem where you have to use your hands, chances are she will be unresponsive or dying, making her "mean-ness" not matter so much.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a tip:

Use a large cup/whatever to handle her. Just herd her into it. You don't necessarily have to use your hands. It's how I handle my tarantulas, and I've had no problems.

If there's a serious enough problem where you have to use your hands, chances are she will be unresponsive or dying, making her "mean-ness" not matter so much.
I'll give that a go to start with, thanks!
And I hadn't thought about that actually--in an emergency she'd be too weak to fight back.

Also, if anyone's wondering why I think I *might* be able to get her accustomed to handling, there are some sections of the TKG I can cite this weekend, and a thread by cacoseraph where he tried to piss off a B.emilia, and he couldn't.

Whether or not she can be "trained" isn't the only issue, as I need some "training" too. Cheers! :D

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Handling a feisty tarantula you are apprehensive around or afraid of is a very stupid idea.One of you is likely to end up injured.
Agreed 100%. However, I also believe that handling a tarantula will better acclimate it (and YOU), to eachother. No matter how often you handle them, no matter how docile it is... know that one day, it'll probably take a chunk out of you.

First things' first: The more jumpy you are, the more uncertain you are(when handling), the more likely you are to be bit or injure the T. Period. Some Ts are just so defensive, it's a good idea not to handle them at all... unless you want to take the bite.. or numerous.

Case in point: A P. lugardi was running across my arm durring a housing escape attempt. I flung my arm because it startled me. He slid down my arm and sunk his fangs into my wrist to keep from falling/being thrown. I got snagged because I was uncertain and jumpy. I probably wouldn't have gotten snagged if I had remained cool and let him do his thing.

My first and only bite occurred only just recently. My Female G. rosea who pretty much does whatever the heck she wants and normally spends hours on my chest while I rub her belly.. bit me. She has never flicked a hair, she had never gone into a defensive posture. There was absolutely no warning. She was trying to poop and I interrupted her. She latched on to my middle knuckle and wouldn't let go. I didn't freak, in fact I didn't know what was going on. I gently unlatched her, she pooped, then crawled right back onto my hand.. that was the end of that. If I would have jumped, or freaked out, I could have really done some nasty damage to her.

Moral of the story is: They may get acclimated to being handled.. But ANY tarantula can turn on you without hesitation or warning. Accept this, handle responsibly and you'll be fine.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agreed 100%. However, I also believe that handling a tarantula will better acclimate it (and YOU), to eachother. No matter how often you handle them, no matter how docile it is... know that one day, it'll probably take a chunk out of you.

First things' first: The more jumpy you are, the more uncertain you are(when handling), the more likely you are to be bit or injure the T. Period. Some Ts are just so defensive, it's a good idea not to handle them at all... unless you want to take the bite.. or numerous.

Case in point: A P. lugardi was running across my arm durring a housing escape attempt. I flung my arm because it startled me. He slid down my arm and sunk his fangs into my wrist to keep from falling/being thrown. I got snagged because I was uncertain and jumpy. I probably wouldn't have gotten snagged if I had remained cool and let him do his thing.

My first and only bite occurred only just recently. My Female G. rosea who pretty much does whatever the heck she wants and normally spends hours on my chest while I rub her belly.. bit me. She has never flicked a hair, she had never gone into a defensive posture. There was absolutely no warning. She was trying to poop and I interrupted her. She latched on to my middle knuckle and wouldn't let go. I didn't freak, in fact I didn't know what was going on. I gently unlatched her, she pooped, then crawled right back onto my hand.. that was the end of that. If I would have jumped, or freaked out, I could have really done some nasty damage to her.

Moral of the story is: They may get acclimated to being handled.. But ANY tarantula can turn on you without hesitation or warning. Accept this, handle responsibly and you'll be fine.
Agreed.
Might give it a go this weekend. I'll let you know. Watch the bite reports section, lol.:cool:
Might try wearing gloves, for the hairs, not the fangs. I'll think about that part though.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you really want to handle with a good pair of gloves.. There's a type of skin forming glove law enforcement uses to search people. I used to use them when I worked in a field where I was constantly searching people. The materials are amazing, it doesn't dull all the feeling and they're tested to take a needle stab without puncturing. Just a bit of info you may want to look into.

babyjay

Arachnopeon
well, as for it being stupid advice... i know for a fact that these spiders here have become more accoustmed to being handled, so i think that this guy may have a chance with what he wants to do!
lol, but whatever.
no use in getting butthurt, everyone.