Thinking about giving handling a try with my L.parahybana, but she's MEAN. Any tips?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would add a long sleeved shirt to your list as well. For some people,LP's hairs are downright nasty.....Nothing better than a rash covered arm....( I learned the hard way)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, as for it being stupid advice... i know for a fact that these spiders here have become more accoustmed to being handled, so i think that this guy may have a chance with what he wants to do!
lol, but whatever.
no use in getting butthurt, everyone.
+1

I would add a long sleeved shirt to your list as well. For some people,LP's hairs are downright nasty.....Nothing better than a rash covered arm....( I learned the hard way)
Yep. Plan on wearing goggles, gloves, bandanna, sweatshirt.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Handling a feisty tarantula you are apprehensive around or afraid of is a very stupid idea. Handling the spider will not calm it down, it's not a dog, you cannot train it.
One of you is likely to end up injured.
Agree with Leon 100%
You can not train your tarantula or some how make them accustomed to being handled.You also will stress your tarantula out by handling them.My tip is not to handle her at all and instead enjoy her through the tank ;]
-Chris

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Turned out to be a moot point.
I tried it earlier, and I almost pooped in my pants.
On the downside: considering leaving the hobby.
Upside: more closet space.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Jebbewocky, I'll have to agree with others that if the Lp is chronicly defensive and not accustomed to being handled, there probably isn't much good that would come of it in terms of the t's well-being. I have two that I currently do not handle and others infrequently except inadvertent sessions on my part with G. pulchra #7. One "hands off" is the Theraphosa sp. "burgundy" sling that is skittish but has never threat-posed. It is fast and imop just "looks" delicate. The other is L klugi, who has remained quite defensive since it's short-term AWOL awhile back. Unlike the Theraphosa, I have handled it twice since it's escape. This t merely doesn't like anyone or anything alive in it's space. It will slowly but menacingly approach anything in the enclosure and strike. However, if I persist in goading it lightly from the back end, it will eventually stop the threat or light kicking shortly thereafter and crawl into my hand- where it will remain quite calm for the short duration of handling. Once returned to the enclosure, it will eat shortly thereafter if it is hungry (which is always except in premolt)- NO QUESTIONS ASKED. This spider kicked much more when I first got it and still must kick in vicinty of food items. I haven't handled in over two months and a slight wedge of hairs missing on one side of the opisthosoma persists. I finally decided awhile back that unless it begins to show less resentment toward handling, I'll no longer attempt it, or at the very least, wait for windows of less defensiveness and keep handling sessions few and far between.

On the other hand, Gp #7 "Dozer" eagerly attempts to crawl into my hand nearly every feeding/watering. I have to put it's enclosure briefly into the sink each time I open it. If I don't put my hand next to the enclosure it will hang halfway off the edge for a good while before crawling back into the enclosure. The P ornata are rarely and briefly handled when cleaning cages. They've pretty much quit the rapid bursts of speed in attempt to escape. They actually seem almost docile but I'll never let my guard down too much and spend some time observing their behavior/reactions beforehand. P.o.#2 gave me a brief threat-pose once but nothing since. I'm careful, but certainly don't want to be on the receiving end of those fangs. {D

Terry

p.s.- sorry about the novel. {D

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, I think I'm going to file the LP as a lost cause in the handling department, and maybe try again later with something less problematic later on. Or maybe give it another go next molt if that calms her down a bit.

Decided not to leave the hobby BTW. Too much other bad crap at the moment, and I needs my spiders to keep me happy.:cool:

I think the thing that makes the LP scarier than my H.mac, isn't just the size, it's the fact that my H.mac has only ever run away from me and given me a defensive pose from that position. It's never charged at me like the LP did.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Turned out to be a moot point.
I tried it earlier, and I almost pooped in my pants.
On the downside: considering leaving the hobby.
Upside: more closet space.
Eh, No big deal. I realize that one of these days I may get another one that never allows handling, even to the point of flipping upside down to attack an intruder, Such was an indiv A hentzi, of all species :?, that I once had. It's certainly no reason to give up for that? :confused:

Your upside sounds alot better. This is also the reason I'm waiting on the last 5-10 additions I could possibly add- due to space. I need to at least have some room left for the results of future breeding attempts. ;)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey man, Glad to hear you're sticking with it. Yep, might be a good idea to write the Lp off...... at least for now. :)

However, I ain't so sure H mac would make a good replacement for it. {D

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats the best and most inteligent advice, IMO, while this:

Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Handling a feisty tarantula you are apprehensive around or afraid of is a very stupid idea. Handling the spider will not calm it down, it's not a dog, you cannot train it.
One of you is likely to end up injured.
Thats the best and most inteligent advice,
Quote:
FRAN: IMO, while this:Is a quite dumb advice.
Originally Posted by babyjay View Post
i think you can probably 'train' your spider to become more accostumed to you.

Fran, you're no fun lol...

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey man, Glad to hear you're sticking with it. Yep, might be a good idea to write the Lp off...... at least for now. :)

However, I ain't so sure H mac would make a good replacement for it. {D
already got an H.maculata.
And to clarify: I'm keeping the LP, I'm just not going to entertain handling her anymore, until her next molt, just in case she calms down with some more size on her.

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
As a partisan of handling, here's what I suggest - forget the naysayers and seek out the folks that are sure to give you positive advice - the ones that successfully handle LPs! Go to the gallery and search "Lasiadora parahybana" - look for the photos of LPs being handled (there are LOTS of 'em!), and send PMs to those posters and ask their advice. I'm sure they'll be delighted to pass on their words of wisdom! (And remember, just because your LP is a spitfire now doesn't mean he will be after the next molt - keep the faith, my friend!)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, that wasn't very nice...
to be honest, working with my two tarantulas... one tends to be very skittish, while one was more agressive! now, the more aggressive one has passed ):
but she was friendly to those who were friendly back, and the skittish one was the same, just more likely to suddenly curl up in fear... i disagree, even though i'm a novice... i think you can probably 'train' your spider to become more accostumed to you.
of course it isn't a dog... but you aren't trying to teach it any tricks, are you?

is there a reason people don't suggest wearing gloves when handling tarantulas? i can see how it might reduce mobility, but if you could find a suitable pair, then why not?
i suggest, as opposed to the floor, maybe a large empty tank (maybe some substrate too), so it doesn't run too far... and keep your hands low, so you don't drop it.
My advice "wasn't very nice"? On the contrary - given that the OP's handling attempt with this spider left him considering his future in the hobby, I think my advice was pretty damn good.

Blackbeard

Arachnopeon
Why hasn't anyone suggested to try reasoning with it over a cup of tea?
We´re all civilised gentlespiders and I´m quite sure you T will be receptive to good arguments.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lots of advice

Many people on here are opposed to any idea that a T can be manipulated without any idea of how it will react. Now T's can be "trained" (granted i hate using that word) but the fact is they can. I have been in the hobby for 15 going on 16 years now. I have never been bitten (for those of you who have comments like read the bite reports) nor do I think I will be just as long as I don't do anything stupid.(No handling isn't doing something stupid) Most bites are due to stupidity to be honest, and acually most of the bite reports you read come from people who don't handle there T's. For instance moving to fast, or reacting when you should remain still are two good examples of ways to get bit. Now in regards to your question if your going to hold an adult T that gives you reason to believe that it has intentions to bite you then gloves would be a good idea. I handle all my T's from slings so I can't really say if handling will calm down a full grown T. That being said I handle T's like H. lividum, L. nigerrimum, P. ultramarinus, P. metallica, P. regalis ect... You get the point. I handle all these T's that I have been told on numerous occasions that "can't be handled". Funny thing is I have multiple pics with me handling them. So the point is my advice to you would be to work with slings and to work with your T's hands on as much as possible. You don't stay lucky for 15 years :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One trick I have found for handling a T whose first reaction to you is to strike:

I will use tongs to gently touch one of her front legs. She'll usually strike at those or go into threat display. After a few strikes, she'll decide that whatever is bothering her is not reacting to her striking at it. At this point I can use the tongs to herd her into my hands. Once she's in my hands, I'm less concerned about being tagged, and I'll let her walk from hand to hand. When I decide I need to herd her back into her enclosure (or off of my chest, for example), I use the tongs to gently guide her back to where she needs to be. Once a T is crawling on you they seem to be far less prone to trying to bite. They are far more likely to bite something that brushes up against them, rather than something that is under them.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Many people on here are opposed to any idea that a T can be manipulated without any idea of how it will react. Now T's can be "trained" (granted i hate using that word) but the fact is they can. I have been in the hobby for 15 going on 16 years now. I have never been bitten (for those of you who have comments like read the bite reports) nor do I think I will be just as long as I don't do anything stupid.(No handling isn't doing something stupid) Most bites are due to stupidity to be honest, and acually most of the bite reports you read come from people who don't handle there T's. For instance moving to fast, or reacting when you should remain still are two good examples of ways to get bit. Now in regards to your question if your going to hold an adult T that gives you reason to believe that it has intentions to bite you then gloves would be a good idea. I handle all my T's from slings so I can't really say if handling will calm down a full grown T. That being said I handle T's like H. lividum, L. nigerrimum, P. ultramarinus, P. metallica, P. regalis ect... You get the point. I handle all these T's that I have been told on numerous occasions that "can't be handled". Funny thing is I have multiple pics with me handling them. So the point is my advice to you would be to work with slings and to work with your T's hands on as much as possible. You don't stay lucky for 15 years :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Well written. I am the same way, just only for 6 years, but with pretty much same T´s, and no accidents of any importance. They can be manipulated and if handled calmly, then odds are, things will go all right for both parties;-).

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

And respectfully, your experience doesnt mean much.In the least.
I have been myself in the hobby the same ammount of years; that doesnt mean anything.
In those 15-16 years you might have handled 50 times, or 150 times. You might have done it 2 minutes each time or 5 or 10.
The sentence " you dont stay lucky 15 years" is absolutely subjective.

You can handle quite aggressive T's and not get a bite... Then the next time you get bit. 10,15 30 years later or the second time.

Wild animals are impredictable.