Thinking about giving handling a try with my L.parahybana, but she's MEAN. Any tips?

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's been posted before, I've submitted my reasons for disagreeing with it, including citations from the TKG, and a post or two from Stan here which are not in the TKG. If you have some new reason to add that's against handling, or some sort of constructive advice, I'd love to hear it, but page after page of "appeals to common practice," it gets rather tiring.

That said, clearly this is a topic which most people cannot discuss here, so in the future I'll keep that in mind and keep my thoughts/opinions to myself.
However you want to take it I guess. I just personally don't want to handle mine. I don't think that no one should handle them. It's just that I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I'm glad it worked out for you though. You posted the question. The only real input I can give you is my opinion.
I'd recommend reading the 2nd line, the one you didn't bold. That was the one I think you missed. I really don't know why you took it so bad. I wasn't saying your an idiot for doing it, just that I wouldn't.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find it hard to believe a tarantula can be conditioned to be "tame". However, I've seen what appears to be just that happen myself personally.
When I got my first tarantula, a rose hair of course, she was extremely defensive. Showing a threat posture and fangs at just about anything. Venom dripping and everything. After about a month of me attempting to handle her but failing due to nervousness, she became very gentle. Maybe she got use to me and over a period of time, no longer perceived me as a threat.

Coincidence or something else? Maybe. Who's to say though. She's the nicest tarantula since.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I see this thread has taken the same route that most handling threads do. I hadn't stopped into yet, as I don't have this species. However, the cupping and removing that worked for you is a great route. I noticed, back when I was able to handle, that the calmer I was, the calmer they were. Even when I had a P. murinus running wild all over me, I was able to remain calm and it finally followed suit. So, I would say IME it is definitely something that comes from practice.

We have some Ts that show no adverse reaction to being handled, but then we have some that show us how very stressed it make them to be handled. Our A. purpurea for instance, was handled a month ago and just this week has started moving around again and repairing the parts of the web that were destroyed in our efforts to get it out. We won't be handling it again for a very long time, but we wanted to see how its colors had changed after its molt and so we did. We are not against handling, but realize it is something that is purely for us and not the T.

The only other tip I could add would be to try and drop the temp in the room you are going to handle in. Lower temp, slower T. ;) Glad you decided to stay in the hobby! :)
Thanks curiousme. :)
I'm a chilly-willy, so lowering the temp isn't really going to happen. The only heating I do is keeping all my T's in my closet, and heating my roach tank. Beyond that, I don't worry about temps unless we have some sort of issue.
Might be worthwhile to keep in mind for rehousing defensive specimens later though.

However you want to take it I guess. I just personally don't want to handle mine. I don't think that no one should handle them. It's just that I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I'm glad it worked out for you though. You posted the question. The only real input I can give you is my opinion.
I'd recommend reading the 2nd line, the one you didn't bold. That was the one I think you missed. I really don't know why you took it so bad. I wasn't saying your an idiot for doing it, just that I wouldn't.
It's just obnoxious getting the same post over and over, that's all.

I find it hard to believe a tarantula can be conditioned to be "tame". However, I've seen what appears to be just that happen myself personally.
When I got my first tarantula, a rose hair of course, she was extremely defensive. Showing a threat posture and fangs at just about anything. Venom dripping and everything. After about a month of me attempting to handle her but failing due to nervousness, she became very gentle. Maybe she got use to me and over a period of time, no longer perceived me as a threat.

Coincidence or something else? Maybe. Who's to say though. She's the nicest tarantula since.
Did she molt during that time?

pokeylucky7

Arachnopeon
I also thought about this. I've been "in the hobby" for over 3 years, and would at this point consider myself between the novice and intermediate level of T's. I've had lot's of T's, lot's of specie. Your statement was kind of like saying "I've had a dog for a year, I think I can train them now."
LOL I trained my dog when I had only owned her for about a month or two.. First dog btw. She could sit, go in her cage, and was house trained... just sayn :)

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok lets first address the fact that I handle my T's on a daily basis for the most part. There are exceptions at times but I am very consistent about taking them out on a regular basis. Now when I take them out i am usually watching TV or cleaning cages, feeding, that type of thing. The amount of time they are usually out of there cage is anywhere between 15min and up to a couple of hours if I am watching a movie for instance. Now for someone who doesn't touch there T's your quite opinionated for not having any hands on experience in this matter. So discussing this subject with you is pointless due to your lack of experience in handling T's. All your comments and points are scientific and none of them come from your own personal experiences. (FYI science is not always correct and sometimes they miss things) Now the fact that I have handled all these "defensive" T's and not been bit and have been in the hobby for 15 years speaks for itself provided all the information I have just told you to be accurate and truthful. Now for someone to not take 15 years experience seriously and to totally disregard what they have to say is ignorant especially when you have no experience in the area yourself. To be honest your the one that is missing out on not being open minded and able to experience these awesome animals up close and personal. Your loss buddy..:D
I agree with Fran. You might handle your T's hundeds of times, but that doesn't rule out the chance of being bitten. You can't train a T, only predict it's behavior. I'm not completely against handling, but if you do, be prepared for a possible bite. I have handled T's, and I have some I simply wouldn't handle, while others have a calmer temprament. I'm also aware of what I might expect as a reaction to a bite. If you decide to handle just be sure you know what to expect if things go wrong.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with Fran. You might handle your T's hundeds of times, but that doesn't rule out the chance of being bitten. You can't train a T, only predict it's behavior. I'm not completely against handling, but if you do, be prepared for a possible bite. I have handled T's, and I have some I simply wouldn't handle, while others have a calmer temprament. I'm also aware of what I might expect as a reaction to a bite. If you decide to handle just be sure you know what to expect if things go wrong.
Most definently. Like I said, a big part of it was getting me used to her as well.

Why would you do that? Do you like to itch?

I wasn't very clear: I was hoping she would start kicking less with more handling. It turned out to be a moot point--outside of the tank she is as tame as a kitten. Getting her out of the tank is the problem.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, my wife lifted her hide up today to take some photos of her, and was similar charged. Pretty sure that the big thing isn't so much handling her, as much as it is "Don't move that it's MINE." Because anything else makes her retreat, or run-off. It's only when you mess with the log that she charges.

Interesting.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Well, my wife lifted her hide up today to take some photos of her, and was similar charged. Pretty sure that the big thing isn't so much handling her, as much as it is "Don't move that it's MINE." Because anything else makes her retreat, or run-off. It's only when you mess with the log that she charges.

Interesting.
Makes sense.
The log = part of her burrow = her retreat

Not so much "Don't move that it's MINE.",
More like "I've got nowhere left to run or hide, I'll have to fight it off!"

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Makes sense.
The log = part of her burrow = her retreat

Not so much "Don't move that it's MINE.",
More like "I've got nowhere left to run or hide, I'll have to fight it off!"
Good point.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's just obnoxious getting the same post over and over, that's all.
Other than a few "tips" you were only ever going to get generally positive or generally negative responses. People are usually going to go one way or the other, so you will get a lot of repeated opinions. It's what tends to happen on discussion forums.

If you think that's obnoxious then I've no idea how you'll react when someone is genuinely rude or unpleasant towards you.