Species Theraphosa blondi

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bean said:
I doubt it. The dish shallow enough for the sling to touch bottom, and I really don't think there'd be any danger of it drowning if it couldn't. I'd love to see an account where any tarantula has drowned in it's water dish.
How do you know the dish is shallow enough?

Anyways, the wood in there helps just in case. It also lets crickets drown in there. They can crawl out on the log.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Shelob said:
I will let you know about the mold, maybe I will throw in some native pillbugs to eat the mold (does the mold have any real negative effects on the T?).
The mold, if bad enough, can get into the Ts booklungs and can cause problems. I think several people have had Ts die over mold. If you notice a funny smell or see any mold, just make sure to get it out.

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
beccamillott said:
How do you know the dish is shallow enough?

Anyways, the wood in there helps just in case. It also lets crickets drown in there. They can crawl out on the log.
I agree with supplying a ramp out of the water dish. My point is that statements like "death trap" and "worse that could happen" aren't warranted when reffering to the tarantula.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
it was a warranted a comment...im trying to look for the T and its owner thats all...it would suck to come home one day and find your T blondi floating in the water dish dead

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T 's can drown in water dishes as the water gets in the book lungs if they cannot get out. Becca and pinktoes were lookin out for the T's saftey and helpin out a new T owner. I have not personally had a T drown but know people who have had them drown in overly deep dishes :wall:

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
versimomma said:
T 's can drown in water dishes as the water gets in the book lungs if they cannot get out. Becca and pinktoes were lookin out for the T's saftey and helpin out a new T owner. I have not personally had a T drown but know people who have had them drown in overly deep dishes :wall:

My argument is not that the advice given is a bad idea, I'm saying saying that the danger posed by an overly large or deep water dish is negligable. Please, have your friends post their experience with the drowning tarantulas. The few accounts I have read really don't have enough information in them to say for sure if the cause of death was water entering the book lungs, or if the water dish is where the spider happened to die. (bad molts, newly imported, etc.. were factors that may or may not have had more to do with the death than the water)

I wonder what it takes for water to actually enter the booklungs? I don't know the answer to the question, but I can tell you that the setae surrounding the openings act as trap that prevents water from entering the book lung. Have you ever filled a water dish when the tarantula's legs are in it? The hair acts as floats! The water will sometimes not even come in contact with the exoskeleton, being held away by the setae! (My termonology may not be accurate here, as the setae is merely an extension of the exoskeleton.)

You may find this article on the ATS about swimming tarantulas interesting. You will also find additional info on submersed tarantulas if you look around a bit.

I'll be the first to admit my inexperience when it comes to therophosids. I really haven't even spent enough time researching the topic at hand. My objection is this: Posting vague warnings that imply uncertain dangers which promote ignorance in the lower ranks (that includes myself) of tarantula keepers.

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its sling to my knowledge that have drowned i will ask them to post but I dunno if they will ! I too have heard of swimming T's but hey humans can swim too and look what happens there. Anyhoo we are detracting from the title and I know Mods of some boards get peeved so for know I will stop!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bean said:
You may find this article on the ATS about swimming tarantulas interesting. You will also find additional info on submersed tarantulas if you look around a bit.
The article says that MOST of the time the Ts were able to swim away. Some Ts had to be rescued. Personally, if it were my T, I'd rather not take the risk (no matter how small the risk may be). Isn't this the same reason we add extra substrate just in case they fall?

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The temps are probably what killed your venus's. I haven't been able to keep one even indoors (I live in So California), because they like it so cold. I have some pitcher plants in a similar setup and they seem to be doing fine.

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You're crazy man! What made you risk it? Does your T. blondi rarely threaten you or something?

MrsT

Arachnopeon
Beautiful T, beautiful setup, but I would recomend a smaller dish, and even a partition in your tank till your sling gets bigger, I have a sling tank thats devided into 3 and can hold 3 slings.

I use cotton wool for any water dish my Ts use, I did consider the spider sponges, but cotton wool works just as well, and they use it too, apart from my Avic Avic, but I still provide a water dish for her even tho she may never use it.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i did the same stuff this morning, so goshdarn itchy...i'd rather pick up OW sp next time

Last edited by a moderator:

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is he mature yet? Because if he is you should really try to find a ladyfriend for him(if you havnt already).- He's a good lookin blondi! :clap:

:::
I just noticed that he is mature in your heading. oops :eek:

Thanks for the pics!

Last edited:

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eh, that's nothing, LOL. My males were the same way. In my experiences, males seem more tolerant of handling then females.

I also wouldn't let those hairs get in your eyes, they would do some MAJOR damage!