Species Theraphosa blondi

HaloMiles

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awww, isn't she the sweet little one? Congratulations, she's very precious. :)

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all, I now present to you my first tarantula - Garthim. He/She is a blondi sling who I have had for about a week now. God I find this creature so facinating.

Garthim!

Front tank view

He is wandering around

Kind of hard to tell, but he is stading between the front glass and the roof of his hideout holding a medium cricket in his fangs :)

Overhead view of his tank

cdxrd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Enclosure looks a bit big for her at her size, but so long as you keep the food coming in and where she can find it, should be fine.. Definately a nice looking setup and good looking T!

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's a pretty heavy duty tarantula for a first but considering you have scorp experience I'm confident you'll manage. She's quite beautiful!

dotdman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wondering what substrate, exactly, you happen to be using. Those pitcher plants you have tend to do best on either well watered live spaghnum moss or a mixture of roughly 70/30 milled peat and perlite (the perlite being for aeration, as the peat will eventually bog down too much for the roots of the plants to grow). Also be sure you're using distilled water, overabundance of minerals and chemical additives found in tap water and some spring waters tend to not go over well with the plants.

Nice spider though, I just got two of them myself ^_^.

Kindest kindest,

Kevin P.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
great set up really great....one thing i noticed is that waterbowl looks huge for that little guy that could be a death trap...maybe a smaller one like a gatorade cap or something... if you do not get any mold around that corkbark let me know..everytime i put corkbark or wood in the ground like that it gets covered in mold :evil:...

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The setup is gorgeous, and will look VERY nice when you have a full-grown T. blondi in there. How big is it now? Make sure to be very careful with a big enclosure and very small spider. They can have trouble finding their food.

Congrats!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
VERY nice!

It's so bright! I love seeing baby T. blondi. When do they lose that "cute, furry" look?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
Bean said:
--->How so?
because the waterdish is bigger than the little T...it would be ok for a big one IMO....but i think its way to big for a T that size IMO...just pointing it out in case the worst were to happen

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pinktoes804 said:
because the waterdish is bigger than the little T...it would be ok for a big one IMO....but i think its way to big for a T that size IMO...just pointing it out in case the worst were to happen

I would personally provide a smaller water dish, but I think it's really a preference thing. It may even be benificial with this sp., as it will contribute to a higher humidity. What exactly is "the worst that could happen?" I can see no danger from this large water dish.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bean said:
I would personally provide a smaller water dish, but I think it's really a preference thing. It may even be benificial with this sp., as it will contribute to a higher humidity. What exactly is "the worst that could happen?" I can see no danger from this large water dish.
I think Pinktoes is saying that the T could drown in a dish this large. If the T were to fall in the dish, it may have trouble getting out.

In the picture it looks like the dish is quite a bit larger than the T's legspan. If the T were to be in the middle of the dish, it may not be able to climb out.

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies and compliments guys :)

Bpkid : He is about 1.75 inches if you count leg span (someone will have to refresh my memory as to how Ts are measured, I know there is some confusion for hobbists there) and growing more and more by the day.

dotdman : I am using 100 percent peat moss, I didn't know that perlite was a beneficial substrate for the plants, please excuse my ignorance
:8o . I always use purified water and no problems so far *crosses fingers* . They seem to be doing fine though, I had the tank up for 2 months before I got the T and they appear to be well. I did have some great venus's in there though that died, maybe because of the move (they were in a plastic container for years), maybe the peat or temps. I have also heard though that they can go into a "dormancy" over the winter and then reappear in the spring/summer. We shall see...

pinktoes804 : Yeah I see your point about the waterbowl and tadah! I have fixed the problem as you will see in the picture at the bottom of my post. Thanks for noticing something I did not :clap: . I will let you know about the mold, maybe I will throw in some native pillbugs to eat the mold (does the mold have any real negative effects on the T?).

Thanks again guys and I appreciate the help with the waterbowl.

PS If anyone knows where the name Garthim came from you are the coolest person in the world :cool:

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
beccamillott said:
I think Pinktoes is saying that the T could drown in a dish this large. If the T were to fall in the dish, it may have trouble getting out.

In the picture it looks like the dish is quite a bit larger than the T's legspan. If the T were to be in the middle of the dish, it may not be able to climb out.

I doubt it. The dish shallow enough for the sling to touch bottom, and I really don't think there'd be any danger of it drowning if it couldn't. I'd love to see an account where any tarantula has drowned in it's water dish.