Species Theraphosa blondi

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
king7 said:
very nice:D

i would follow the advice given and use more peat.am i right in saying those tanks have big doors and only a few inches at the bottom to put peat? if so i would think about getting a more suitable tank for a blondi.:cool:
Whats that on your shoulder King :eek:

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the big version of yours:cool: eight and a half inches ATM.

i was getting some pics and it kida teleported onto my back,made for a good pic tho:D

Ennoozunu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
NeilD said:
How will a heat pad underneath 5 inches of peat give enough heat off for him :confused: my house is a pretty constant 22 deg but I thought blondi needed more I never actually see him on the half that has the mat under, maybe hes too hot or something

Personally I wouldn't heat him at all if your house is a constant 22C.

If you do heat him NEVER put the heatmat below the tank. Always attach it to one side or something like that. This is because if a T gets hot its instinct is to dig to cool off and if the heatmat is at the bottom then the T will just dig down to the heatmat and possibly end up burning its self with the end result of death.

I agree with Midnightrdr456 about your tank as well.
I would recommend changing the tank.

Last edited:

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very cute blondi. I love em when they're that small cos I don't usually get to see it.

king7 said:

i was getting some pics and it kida teleported onto my back,made for a good pic tho:D
Man, rather you than me. I would have bricked myself! :eek:

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
blondi heat mat

Ennoozunu said:
Personally I wouldn't heat him at all if your house is a constant 22C.

If you do heat him NEVER put the heatmat below the tank. Always attach it to one side or something like that. This is because if a T gets hot its instinct is to dig to cool off and if the heatmat is at the bottom then the T will just dig down to the heatmat and possibly end up burning its self with the end result of death.

I agree with Midnightrdr456 about your tank as well.
I would recommend changing the tank.
The heat mat is only 8w and just covers the bottom of the left side of the viv, The water dish is placed above it to maintain the humidity, but it does need topping up regulary, Viv is staying even if it means filling it behond the level of the doors and making a little mess, surely in the wild these creatures have more dangers than a 8 inch drop, and would certainly have wondered further than a few inches, I do understand your concerns but to be perfectly honest I feel the same when I see some of the spiders kept in very small tupperware boxes, surely this isn't what its all about, or maybe I just spoil my T's

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
blondi

king7 said:

:eek: I thought you had a mop on your back :worship: you where lucky it didn't drag you off somewhere {D

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lmao:D

i was a little nervous but not enough to panic.i was hoping it wouldnt go near my face in fear of thinking my breath was food{D

it was wondering around the tank last night and i tried to hold it but it started hissing at me {D

Ennoozunu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
NeilD said:
I do understand your concerns but to be perfectly honest I feel the same when I see some of the spiders kept in very small tupperware boxes, surely this isn't what its all about, or maybe I just spoil my T's
I agree that keeping them in small tubberware containers is not what it is all about but when I said a different enclosure I ment a glass tank (like 5-10 gallon).

Its totally ok to do whatever you feel is alright for your T. I just wanted to let you know what I thought so you have anothers perspective to go on.

Nice blondi btw.

:)

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I PMed you back Neil. Sorry, I get kinda busy. Everything you need is in your message box. PM me again if you need anything else on T. blondi.

T.S.

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Info blondi

Thanks very Much just read it and will print it later for future reference, There are a couple more questions :?

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Big girl came for a look around this morning so I thought I would take a couple
Of pic’s of her, Must be in some sort of pre-moult she let a Locust crawl by her :eek:

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

this is 1st time id seen her in month or so,so i gave her some superworms and back down her burrow she went.

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Blondi

From the front she looks lovely, How often and what amount do you feed her ? and how big is she ?

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,i feed her bout once every 2wks or so,shes been known to have well over 10 crix at a time wiv ease.she also has a thawed mouse once in a while.shes around 9-10inch

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Blondi

Since you hadn't seen her for a "month or so", Had she moulted or was her last feed a big one and therefore she wasn't interested in food for a while

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nah,no moult but before she went into hiding she had a big feed the week before,in that week she had an adult mouse and bout 15-20crix and 5-10 superworms

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just a couple of pics now I have managed to retrieve the moult :D

I thought she was 5" but she looks more like 5 3/4 before moult :sd

This T was captive bread by a UK enthusiast :)

And just as Larry said a nice healthy girl, Thanks again Larry

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice! I've been considering getting one of these.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
beautiful blondi man. I cant wait for mine to molt its 4.5 - 4.75" about. Im hoping for around 6" after the molt (but i think that could still be a few months away, her bald spot is still red and she is still eating lol, so im in for a wait.)