The worlds most venomous spider? End-all-be-all-topic.

Jeffh

Arachnopeon
Venom said:
If memory serves...

To answer the age-old question: "what is the most venomous spider in the world?" is obtuse and ambiguous, you first need to define "venomous"--it isn't as straightforward as you think...really. The fact is that Phoneutria has the most toxic venom component of any spider--its main toxin is faster acting/ more powerful than anything in the funnelwebs. However, this compound is not as concentrated in the Phoneutria's venom as it could be, making it the most potent spider toxin, but not the most potent venom ( venom isn't pure toxin--it is a cocktail of toxin + matrix--like suger dissolved in water ). Funnelweb venom, on the other hand, has more than one toxic component: it contains about 14 different toxic compounds, none of which are as potent individually as the Phoneutria's toxin, but which together add up to a venom which as a whole is more potent than Phoneutria venom. To put it in rifle terms, it's like one 30mm gun vs. fourteen .50 cals---the barrage of .50 cals is much more dangerous than the single 30mm, even though the 30mm is more powerful individually than any of the individual .50 cals. So what you end up with is that Phoneutria toxin is more potent, but its venom as a whole is less potent than the Atrax/ Hadronyche venoms.

Now, as for "which is more dangerous?"--this isn't the same as "which is more venomous." Danger level takes into account the spider's other characteristics as well as its degree of "venomousness." For instance, a diamond-back rattlesnake is much more dangerous than a sea krait, because although the rattler's venom is MUCH less potent, sea kraits almost never bite: you can pick them up, dangle them freely around your neck, and never once be bitten. Diamondbacks, however, will bite readily, and although their bite is less likely to kill than the sea krait's, it is much more likely that you will receive a bite from a rattler than a sea krait. Thus, you are in more danger from a diamond-back than from a sea-krait: the degree of damage is off-set by the likeliness of its occurring.

The likeliness of a bite occurring once the spider is encountered is determined by such factors as the spider's temperament, its speed, agility, and defensive behaviour. For instance, will the spider strike a defensive position and stay put ( like the f-webs do ), or will/ can it move toward you by running /jumping ( like a wanderer )? Is the spider fast moving or slow? Is it agile or clumsy? Does it have an effective striking/ biting system? How much of a disturbance/ threat is necessary to cause it to bite? These, along with the venom potency, amount of venom injected, and frequency of "wet" and "dry" bites are what determine how dangerous a spider is. The amount, potency and frequency of venom comprise the degree of damage/ lethality of the bite, and the behaviours/ abilities of the spider determine how likely it is that you will be bitten.

Based on the comparative features of f-webs and Phoneutria, I have to say that the f-webs are more "dangerous," all things considered. As far as temperament/ willingness to bite, both are highly defensive and bite readily ( although Phoneutria may have a slight edge on this aspect). Regarding speed and agility, no contest: Phoneutria win hands down. In defensive behaviour, Phoneutria jump and run, whereas F-webs are less able to: they are heavier, slower, and primarily non-arboreal. However, when they do bite, they don't give the quick injections of a Phoneutria, but hold on like bulldogs and continue to inject more and more venom. This is another area where they are radically different. Although they are large, and CAN inject large doses, Phoneutria simply don't; they may bite readily, and perhaps repeatedly, but ( in a defensive bite, not a feeding bite ) they don't inject much venom--only a very tiny amount!! Thus, they may be better able/ more likely to bite you, but their bite simply doesn't have the weight of the f-webs'. It's like asking whether you prefer a 70% chance of a fist to the head, or a 40% chance of a baseball bat to the head: the chance of incurring some harm is greater with the fist, but your total risk is still lower than with the baseball bat!

Now, this is a pet peeve, but I'd like to rant for a second.

Distribution of a species is not part of how dangerous it is!!! Whether a spider occurs in a populated or unpopulated region does not influence the dangerousness of the spider itself, only how much ( how often ) of a problem it is. In measuring the danger level of a spider once it has been encountered by a human, you can only consider the characteristics of the spider. Where a species occurs only influences how likely you are to be exposed to the species, NOT what will happen once you are. Otherwise, if dsitrubution is a factor, you'd have to go around saying that western diamondbacks are more dangerous than King cobras, because the rattlers live in more populated areas and have much more contact with humans than the cobras, which live in the boonies and are rarely encountered.

As for "evidence" and "sources"...

Jeffh, what you fail to realize is that Lelle ( Crotalus ), actually keeps Phoneutria sp. and has provided them for filming on National Geographic; and SteveNunn keeps ( or has kept ) Atrax sp. and is Steve Irwin's funnelweb provider. These guys are experts, their word is a reliable "source," and is as much evidence as you should need. They know as much about these species as any of the scientific writers whose "sources" you crave. And what do you want in these papers but an authoritative voice? Well, they are an authoritative voice! So get over yourself and believe them! ( and BTW, though I'm not as advanced as they, you can believe me too ;) ).

Thanks, you have answered some questions.As far as get over myself, its not like Lelle and Steve Nunn are housewhole names and besides just because someone keeps cetain spiders doesn't make them experts . I've had black widows and brown recluse's.Am I an expert??????NO....They may know what they are talking about but when I wanted proof they provided NONE.

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jeffh said:
Thanks, you have answered some questions.As far as get over myself, its not like Lelle and Steve Nunn are housewhole names and besides just because someone keeps cetain spiders doesn't make them experts . I've had black widows and brown recluse's.Am I an expert??????NO....They may know what they are talking about but when I wanted proof they provided NONE.
Maybe you should read ALL the posts instead of the last one posted.
You simply dont understand why its a question that are either not possible to give a definite answer to or its just a meaningless question.

/Lelle

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Venom said:
This is another area where they are radically different. Although they are large, and CAN inject large doses, Phoneutria simply don't; they may bite readily, and perhaps repeatedly, but ( in a defensive bite, not a feeding bite ) they don't inject much venom--only a very tiny amount!!

Jeffh, what you fail to realize is that Lelle ( Crotalus ), actually keeps Phoneutria sp. and has provided them for filming on National Geographic; and SteveNunn keeps ( or has kept ) Atrax sp. and is Steve Irwin's funnelweb provider. These guys are experts, their word is a reliable "source," and is as much evidence as you should need. They know as much about these species as any of the scientific writers whose "sources" you crave. And what do you want in these papers but an authoritative voice? Well, they are an authoritative voice! So get over yourself and believe them! ( and BTW, though I'm not as advanced as they, you can believe me too ;) ).
Not correct, Phoneutria have among the largest venom yield of true spiders.

BTW, Im no expert. Far from it.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Venom said:
Distribution of a species is not part of how dangerous it is!!! Whether a spider occurs in a populated or unpopulated region does not influence the dangerousness of the spider itself, only how much ( how often ) of a problem it is. In measuring the danger level of a spider once it has been encountered by a human, you can only consider the characteristics of the spider. Where a species occurs only influences how likely you are to be exposed to the species, NOT what will happen once you are. Otherwise, if dsitrubution is a factor, you'd have to go around saying that western diamondbacks are more dangerous than King cobras, because the rattlers live in more populated areas and have much more contact with humans than the cobras, which live in the boonies and are rarely encountered.
I dont agree here. If a species come in close contact on a regular basis with humans Id say its more dangerous then a species that do not come in such contact with people. The species that lives close by humans are always on top of fatality lists.

Jeffh

Arachnopeon
Crotalus said:
Not correct, Phoneutria have among the largest venom yield of true spiders.

BTW, Im no expert. Far from it.

Again, thats not what I read;

"Recent studies however have found that it only injects venom in about one-third of its bites and may only inject a small amount in another third."

This is the second time I posted that...Have you read all my post???I will say this again ,even if you and Steve are so-called "experts" , I still would like to see some kind of evidence to which none has been given.I'm not trying to disrespect anybody but why believe you or Steve over, say ,Martin Nicholas?

Jeffh

Arachnopeon
Crotalus said:
I dont agree here. If a species come in close contact on a regular basis with humans Id say its more dangerous then a species that do not come in such contact with people. The species that lives close by humans are always on top of fatality lists.

I totally agree with you on that.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jeffh said:
I'm not trying to disrespect anybody but why believe you or Steve over, say ,Martin Nicholas?
What makes you think that Martin Nicholas is an expert? Is it because he has been on TV?

I'm not knocking the guy, he seems very nice, but even by his own admission he is not an expert or a professional in the field of arachnology....

Jeffh

Arachnopeon
danread said:
What makes you think that Martin Nicholas is an expert? Is it because he has been on TV?

I'm not knocking the guy, he seems very nice, but even by his own admission he is not an expert or a professional in the field of arachnology....

I'm not necessarily saying he is but I don't know if any poster on this forum qualifies as one either.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jeffh said:

"Recent studies however have found that it only injects venom in about one-third of its bites and may only inject a small amount in another third."

This is the second time I posted that...Have you read all my post???I will say this again ,even if you and Steve are so-called "experts" , I still would like to see some kind of evidence to which none has been given.I'm not trying to disrespect anybody but why believe you or Steve over, say ,Martin Nicholas?
How often they envenomate and how much has nothing to do with yield, which is the amount produced and available if the spider does choose to envenomate with its full physiological capacity.

It is claimed that between 20-25% of rattlesnake bites are dry, but that does not make the yield of Crotalus adamanteus any less.

Lelle has never claimed to be an expert, but has had a long and deep interest in venom for decades and has therefore researched and read much of the material that you are seeking out now.

Black widow venom is extremely toxic, but because of the low yield is of little threat to humans..

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jeffh said:

The fact that many venomous animals with a capability to inject venom delivers dry bites isnt news. Snakes do this and if Phoneutria do this its no surprise.
But, this have nothing to do with the venom yield of a full bite.

And i will say this again for the last time: im no expert.

Jeffh

Arachnopeon
Crotalus said:
The fact that many venomous animals with a capability to inject venom delivers dry bites isnt news. Snakes do this and if Phoneutria do this its no surprise.
But, this have nothing to do with the venom yield of a full bite.

And i will say this again for the last time: im no expert.

Fair enough, you're no expert.I never thought you were, I was only responding to what other people said.When I first started this thread,I thought there was true scientific evidence on which spider was the most venomous.I thought scientific data could back it up ,but I guess I'm wrong.I know the Brazilian spider is superior in the LD50 but the funnel web isn't that toxic to MICE.I also know more PEOPLE seem to have severe reactions to the funnel web bites but the Phoneutria doesn't seem to inject venom or only a small amount in 78% of cases.I guess there is NO easy answer to the question.When posters said funnel web spiders were more venomous, I wanted documented facts not opinions.I guess those facts doesn't exist.I never intented to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did.I always had a certain fascination with the funnel web spider and wanted to prove in MY MIND that they were the most venomous.Unfortunately for me, that didn't happen.

I will say this...I would rather get bitten from a wandering spider than a funnel web!!!!How's that for an ending.

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jeffh said:
Fair enough, you're no expert.I never thought you were, I was only responding to what other people said.When I first started this thread,I thought there was true scientific evidence on which spider was the most venomous.I thought scientific data could back it up ,but I guess I'm wrong.I know the Brazilian spider is superior in the LD50 but the funnel web isn't that toxic to MICE.I also know more PEOPLE seem to have severe reactions to the funnel web bites but the Phoneutria doesn't seem to inject venom or only a small amount in 78% of cases.I guess there is NO easy answer to the question.When posters said funnel web spiders were more venomous, I wanted documented facts not opinions.I guess those facts doesn't exist.I never intented to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did.I always had a certain fascination with the funnel web spider and wanted to prove in MY MIND that they were the most venomous.Unfortunately for me, that didn't happen.

I will say this...I would rather get bitten from a wandering spider than a funnel web!!!!How's that for an ending.
That didnt make lots of sence. Sorry.
Why refering to me as a expert if you never thought so? Why you think funnels are the most venomous if you never got any facts to prove it? I smell a troll here.

Jeffh

Arachnopeon
Crotalus said:
That didnt make lots of sence. Sorry.
Why refering to me as a expert if you never thought so? Why you think funnels are the most venomous if you never got any facts to prove it? I smell a troll here.

I don't know what you mean by a "troll."I've never heard of you or anyone on this forum!!!!!!I asked a question, you responsed with a website(that I knew about) that didn't answer my question, and some other poster said I should just take your WORD FOR IT...No thanks, thats not how I've learned and accepted things in the past.I gave you an apology, you should have accepted it.I can assure you I'm no "troll" whatever that means.I just wanted answers and got NONE.

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But that isn't describing how dangerous the creature itself is! How many people a species is near does not in any way change its own characteristics: a nuke is just as effective and deadly if it is in the desert as if it were in the city, because its physical attributes have not changed. It is, however, less of a problem, because if it goes off, no-one will get vaporized-- but that is NOT saying that the nuke is any less dangerous, because for anyone who may happen to be in the desert when it goes off it would be just as deadly, just as effective. Do you see the difference here? A description/ assessment of a species' dangerousness MUST be limited to evaluating the species attributes, NOT how many people will be exposed to those attributes. Otherwise, you would have to say that Sicarius is not a dangerous species, because nobody comes into contact with it--even though tests indicate it has an absolutely hideous cytotoxin. Inland taipans are the most lethal snake in the world, but they live in the boonies and there is no record of any human fatalities from it. Are they less dangerous than rattlesnakes? Of course not! They are simply less of a problem than rattlesnakes.

If you define the dangerousness of a disease by where it strikes, the fault in your view becomes even more evident. For instance, if you have ebola in the desert, and pneumonia in the city, which is more dangerous? The pneumonia would be more of a problem--it would kill more people, but its physical characteristics would not make it a more dangerous infection than ebola. It is more of a danger, but, in and of itself, it is not more dangerous. Do you see what I'm saying now?

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Venom said:
But that isn't describing how dangerous the creature itself is! How many people a species is near does not in any way change its own characteristics: a nuke is just as effective and deadly if it is in the desert as if it were in the city, because its physical attributes have not changed. It is, however, less of a problem, because if it goes off, no-one will get vaporized-- but that is NOT saying that the nuke is any less dangerous, because for anyone who may happen to be in the desert when it goes off it would be just as deadly, just as effective. Do you see the difference here? A description/ assessment of a species' dangerousness MUST be limited to evaluating the species attributes, NOT how many people will be exposed to those attributes. Otherwise, you would have to say that Sicarius is not a dangerous species, because nobody comes into contact with it--even though tests indicate it has an absolutely hideous cytotoxin. Inland taipans are the most lethal snake in the world, but they live in the boonies and there is no record of any human fatalities from it. Are they less dangerous than rattlesnakes? Of course not! They are simply less of a problem than rattlesnakes.

If you define the dangerousness of a disease by where it strikes, the fault in your view becomes even more evident. For instance, if you have ebola in the desert, and pneumonia in the city, which is more dangerous? The pneumonia would be more of a problem--it would kill more people, but its physical characteristics would not make it a more dangerous infection than ebola. It is more of a danger, but, in and of itself, it is not more dangerous. Do you see what I'm saying now?
Yes it does because its encounters with humans that makes them dangerous. They are not dangerous until someone come across them.
but this is only one part of what makes a snake dangerous
Ebola is not dangerous until someone get infected. The chance of that are slim and few do get infected, so a common disease that kills thousands are offcourse more dangerous to humans.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes it does because its encounters with humans that makes them dangerous. They are not dangerous until someone come across them.
but this is only one part of what makes a snake dangerous
Ebola is not dangerous until someone get infected. The chance of that are slim and few do get infected, so a common disease that kills thousands are offcourse more dangerous to humans.
No, encounters don't make a disease or a spider dangerous, they are dangerous already before anyone encounters them. Otherwise, why are these things a danger to the people who encounter them? If these things are not dangerous until encountered, why are they a danger at all? What makes them dangerous? Their capacity for harm is what makes them dangerous, and that capacity ( which is determined by behaviour, venom strength, and the other factors I mentioned ) remains unchanged whether the creature is encountered or not! A landmine is a landmine is a landmine. Whether it is laid in a populated area or an unpopulated area, its ability to harm people--its explosive charge--remains unchanged, and so its potential danger to a human ( as in one, uno, one single human at a time ) remains unchanged.

Ebola is not dangerous until someone get infected. The chance of that are slim and few do get infected, so a common disease that kills thousands are offcourse more dangerous to humans
Ludicrous! Ebola is dangerous because of what it can do to a human. The fact that it doesn't infect many people doesn't make it any less dangerous to the people it does infect. A common disease, like pneumonia, that kills many people, but which isn't nearly as virulent as ebola is more dangerous to humanity as a whole, but not to the individual human. This is the distinction I am trying to make. On an individual level, ebola is more dangerous to a human than pneumonia is, and the same principle goes for spiders: the degree of danger that a spider poses to a--single--human is determined by the spider's capacity to cause harm to that individual human. This is what I'm meaning when I discuss how "dangerous" a species is: how dangerous it is to a single human being in a one human to one spider encounter. I'm not talking about how dangerous the species is to humanity as a whole, or a population group as a whole, but how dangerous it is to an individual human. I'm also not talking about the likelihood of an encounter happening to an individual human, but only how much danger is posed to that human once the encounter has occured. I admit, the location of a species does influence how dangerous it is to a population group, and how much of a problem it is for the whole of humanity. But on an individual level, when someone has a run-in with a given species, the danger level is determined by the characteristics of the spider itself. Phew, does that make sense?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A landmine is just a piece of metal and explosives. Until a human or vehicle sets it off.
I dont think we get any further on this. Im talking about how dangerous a certain snake or spider is to humans, with that comes a number of factors to be considered such as venom toxicity, venom yield, aggressive natur, serum issues and closeness to humans. If you cant see that well nothing i can do to change your mind about it. to me andmost i talk to regularly, even scientists, would agree with me on this: snakes that bites alot of people and kills alot of people should be considered more dangerous then a snake that never or very rarley come in contact with humans.
In your point of view one might think you consider the snake with the lowest LD50 to be the most dangerous one. Compare a taipan bite with a Daboia russelli. the first is the most lethal one, the other is a viper that even serum sometimes dont help you if you get tagged. And they occur close to humans. Who do you think should be considered the more dangerous of them?

/Lelle

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A landmine is just a piece of metal and explosives. Until a human or vehicle sets it off.
I dont think we get any further on this. Im talking about how dangerous a certain snake or spider is to humans, with that comes a number of factors to be considered such as venom toxicity, venom yield, aggressive natur, serum issues and closeness to humans. If you cant see that well nothing i can do to change your mind about it. to me andmost i talk to regularly, even scientists, would agree with me on this: snakes that bites alot of people and kills alot of people should be considered more dangerous then a snake that never or very rarley come in contact with humans.
In your point of view one might think you consider the snake with the lowest LD50 to be the most dangerous one. Compare a taipan bite with a Daboia russelli. the first is the most lethal one, the other is a viper that even serum sometimes dont help you if you get tagged. And they occur close to humans. Who do you think should be considered the more dangerous of them?

The thing that I'm trying to say here is that in assessing how dangerous a species is, you have to determine to whom the danger applies: who is indangered by the species? Is it a person, a people, or all people? That is: does the danger apply on an individual, regional, or global level? For instance, I would say that based on issues such as "venom toxicity, venom yield, aggressive natur, serum issues," that the taipan is more dangerous on the individual level, because it is more dangerous to an individual than the D. russelli. However, as the taipan kills no-one, and the Daboia kills loads of people in the region of South Asia, I would say the Daboia is more dangerous on the regional level: it indangers an entire population group, whereas the taipan does not. Thus, Daboia is more of a problem for humanity in India, because it is a serious local problem there, and for humanity in general because of its high death and injury toll, but the taipan is still more "dangerous" on an individual level. Distribution/ contact with humans relates to a species' danger to a population group, whereas the animal's features make it dangerous to individuals.

However, in a different sense, I can't say that Daboia is dangerous on the global level, because it is not a problem the world over. Obviously, the global danger level is very uncommon for animals, which usually have a limited distribution. I would normall reserve this scale for diseases. For instance, malaria would be dangerous on the global level, whereas something like African sleeping sickness would be dangerous on the regional level.

Anyway, I think we are making progress here.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So if you get bitten outside India (or Sri Lanka since its the srilankese russelli that are the most dangerous of russelli) of a russelli or a taipan the taipan bite is more serious because its venom are lower on a LD50 scale? I dont think so. The russelli venom works just as effective outside its region. The serum for taipan is very effective, for srilankese russelli it doesnt work good at all (infact for srilankese there are no serum, they use indian serum and its no good for srilankese russells).
Global level isnt something to consider here since neither of the species is found globally but russelli do occur in a large portion of South East Asia, and effects alot more people then a taipan does. And they are, as I stated before, found close to humans.
Drop for drop comparison of the venom is a poor way to determine a snakes level of danger to humans, all aspects must be considered.

/Lelle

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So if you get bitten outside India (or Sri Lanka since its the srilankese russelli that are the most dangerous of russelli) of a russelli or a taipan the taipan bite is more serious because its venom are lower on a LD50 scale? I dont think so. The russelli venom works just as effective outside its region. The serum for taipan is very effective, for srilankese russelli it doesnt work good at all (infact for srilankese there are no serum, they use indian serum and its no good for srilankese russells).
Global level isnt something to consider here since neither of the species is found globally but russelli do occur in a large portion of South East Asia, and effects alot more people then a taipan does. And they are, as I stated before, found close to humans.
Drop for drop comparison of the venom is a poor way to determine a snakes level of danger to humans, all aspects must be considered.
You keep saying "humans." I am separating danger to human ( singular ) from danger to humans/humanity ( plural ). Ok, so the taipan vs. ruselli was a bad illustration, too many complications, ( serums of different effectiveness ) and they are too close in deadliness. A better explanation of what I'm meaning would be f-webs versus widows. If funnelwebs lived totally apart from humans and never encountered anyone, and latros lived in close proximity to humans and encountered numerous people, the funnelweb would still be a more dangerous spider than the widow. However, it would be less of a problem than the widow, less of a danger to humanity ( plural ), even though in a one-person-to-one-spider encounter, the funnelweb poses much more danger to the potential victim than does any widow spider.

I am using a rigid definition of "dangerous"--it does not change based on where the spider lives, because it only takes into account what the spider is. If a species is more aggressive, more potent, less treatable, and easier to be bitten by, then it is the more dangerous species. If this same spider encounters fewer people than a less aggressive, less venomous species that does encounter many people, then it is the less worrisome, the less problematic, less significant, and less bothersome species.

If you have a nuke on Mars, and a handgun in a city, would you say that "nukes are less dangerous than handguns, because handguns encounter more people"? Of course not! You would acknowledge that nukes are much more deadly, but that they aren't a problem and don't really matter because they never affect anyone.