Tarantula Rehousing Thread

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I see you use the Ziploc containers also!. I love these,and have used them for years.Cheap,easy to open and less disturbing than the deli cup snap lids.
I couldn't agree more with your comment. I despise traditional deli cup containers zip lock is the way to go.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
This is cheap,but good.Home depot for US keepers. DSCN1134.JPG

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Rehoused my recently molted P.cam from 36oz ziplock container to an extra large kritter keeper. For the first time I am trying a cork bark round rather than my usual cork bark flat angled. I really like how it turned out. I also used some moss and incorporated it onto the cork bark and around it.
Woke up and she was chilling in cork bark round, one of the easiest rehouses of all time when you place old enclosure in new enclosure and let them climb out on there own.

Attachments

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
Rehoused the new h gigas today, and it went better than I expected. Got it to go straight into the catch cup and then prodded it to the starter burrow, and it already started digging through the sub, almost halfway down right now.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Rehoused Psalmopoeus irminia, it wasn’t a size upgrade it was a cleaning issue this P. irminia was by far the dirtiest T I had ever owned in the fact that it left all boli in its dirtcurtain hide in the substrate that I could not remove, as well as I assume only pooped in its dirt curtain burrow as well, as I have never found any poop anywhere. There was mold growing out from inside its burrow, which isn’t going to harm it but I could never do any spot cleaning. . I normally do not care about any mold and fungi and tell people not to worry but the problem after a few months was not going away as I could not clean and letting it dry out did not fix it either cause it was always pooping and discarding new prey inside it’s hide. When I rehoused it there were a lot of white spots and boli as well as the source of the mold. Dirty little T, must take after her owner

Rbed2

Arachnopeon
View attachment 252940
Irminia lifetime cage.
View attachment 252942
One of the first I had to just wait out in a while.. lol
View attachment 252941
Poecilotheria ornata rehouse.
View attachment 252944

View attachment 252943
P rufilata cage redo. Actually needs a bigger one.. bonus points if you can spot her. :)
Nice enclosures everyone. Love this poci shot. Beautiful animal. I only see my regalis when she darts up for prey. I know she comes out at night because I always have to clean her graffiti off the glass.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Rehoused my Ceratogyrus marshalli today. Hopefully it's a female, I think it is this time 😃
Looks a bit wet on the picture because I spray a little bit of water to "fix" the substrate. It evaporates in a few hours. C. marshalli.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Today I traumatized 11 tarantulas by upgrading their enclosures:
  • Caribena versicolor
  • Omothymus schioedtei
  • Pterinopelma sazimai
  • Idiothele mira x3
  • Ceratogyrus marshalli x2
  • Chilobrachys dyscolus
  • Harpactira pulchripes
  • Megaphobema robustum

The C. versicolor decided to bolt up my husband's arm -- he was acting as a second set of hands/eyes -- but fortunately she did not escape.

The O. schioedtei ran laps madly around the big rehousing bin.

The M. robustum was extremely stubborn. Once we got it into its new enclosure, it refused to get off the cardboard surrounding the catch cup so we could close the lid. Then it hung upside-down under one of its leaves for a couple of hours. 🙃

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Rehoused one of my Neischnocolus sp Panama and my Thrixopelna ockerti yesterday.

My N sp. Panama had come to me in March in a 32oz deli cup, but she hadn't burrowed, seemed uncomfortable, and the enclosure seemed unnecessarily large for her. I moved her to a DIY Amac box with my mix of substrate, and she seems a little more comfortable now. She was out and about this morning but walked into her hide. Compared to her previous one where she half-hid under a leaf and did a stress curl every time I picked up the enclosure, this appears to be an improvement!

IMG_0152.JPG

I also rehoused my Thrixopelma ockerti. I realized she was in an unsuitable enclosure and could use more vertical space, so I prepared her a space in my old Avic's enclosure with substrate grading up in the back of the enclosure.

She mashed herself into a corner of her old enclosure and kicked for two solid minutes when I tried to cup her, so I gave her a break. I came back ten minutes later and successfully moved her into her new digs. She was still super upset and stress curled up in the corner, but she seems to be doing better today.

These shots are from yesterday:
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG

My last two rehouses are still waiting for me: my Avicularia minatrix appeared to be on her back last time I tried to rehouse her, but I don't think she molted, and I have a new Neostenotarsus sp Suriname I need to set up a new enclosure for. Then all of the rehousings I had lined up will be done for now. I think.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
Rehoused the suspect female H gigas yesterday into a big mainstay jar, where it finally gets to stretch its legs, as it quickly outgrew its old coffee cup in a few months. I also finally got to get some good pics of it!
P1070217-01.jpeg
P1070209-01.jpeg

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Rehoused seven spiders today. I was expecting it to be more exciting than it was.

At some point they bolt and you’re like well, okay. Whenever you’re done with that, I guess.

FBA7A4CF-5684-4F5F-ABF0-DA5AB9C877CF.jpeg 8DC6DD07-272D-40EB-8C47-5F6F534096AC.jpeg EB4EC19F-CCDA-4E9E-AFD2-3651274FEA17.jpeg DA024A63-7F8A-4983-9568-64ED0A7543E1.jpeg 7126C0C6-EB8D-408D-8BF7-46F19F1D6483.jpeg 1DDCB50A-0594-4C0F-9662-09F58C6EED2D.jpeg