Tarantula Feet Thread

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
These are all unreasonably cute toes and fabulous photography!

Bumping the existing awesome thread with my less-cool photo of a juvi P. irminia hanging on to the edge of its webbing.
PXL_20230725_005850630.jpg
"You can see its tiny claw!!"
- my 10-year-old kiddo 🥰

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Ever since I've been in the hobby, I have always been fascinated by the tarantula foot (hence the username.) Feel free to post pics of you tarantula's tarsus pads! (What an odd thing to say :rofl:)

L parahybana
View attachment 397175
View attachment 397176

T albopilosus
View attachment 397177
View attachment 397178

C marshalli
View attachment 397179
View attachment 397180

A chalcodes
View attachment 397181

H gigas

And a drawing of one (my pfp)
View attachment 397182
That's impressive! And even a drawing, fantastic!

May I ask what camera equipment you are using? Your photos are lovely!!

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
P. metallica

@corydalis may i ask your equipment as well? Im using a moldy cannon 100mm macro on a 70d, also kinda moldy lol. just cant seem to get those nice sharp shots anymore like you guys. Fantastic pictures, i really am enjoying them! never thought i was a feet guy...but here we are.

corydalis

Arachnoknight
P. metallica

@corydalis may i ask your equipment as well? Im using a moldy cannon 100mm macro on a 70d, also kinda moldy lol. just cant seem to get those nice sharp shots anymore like you guys. Fantastic pictures, i really am enjoying them! never thought i was a feet guy...but here we are.
My gear is also an old one:) using a Canon 60d + Sigma 105mm os hsm, since 2014.

Bexx

Arachnopeon
1709422332903.png
I'll join in! A.avicularia "Metallic" juvie- Dancer with her little pink ballet slippers on display (and the start of a real nice web tunnel, too!). Only have my phone camera but you can see her little teeny claws and the pink toesies!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
a complete random guess, but perhaps for grip. like the claws on a chain saw to all the chain to dig in.

Your posts are fascinating me here. such amazing insight to be had through macro!
Yes similar to cats , sloths etc occasionally but for spiders to have them is amazing 🤩. IMG_7009.jpeg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
a complete random guess, but perhaps for grip. like the claws on a chain saw to all the chain to dig in.
Quite possible you have something there. Chain saw edges consist of teeth, which cut, and rakers, which prevent the teeth from going too deep and hogging, stalling the saw. So it appears in several of those pics that Ts have rakers to aid in avoiding getting snagged on things.
Also something to consider. Some chain saw chains are skip tooth, one tooth then two rakers. Further control of the cut - or hooking of a T. Skip tooth saw chains are common with saws with longer bars as the saw can only pull a certain number of cutting teeth engaged in the material. Maybe some spiders have skip tooth feet?

The good old days slabbing burls with a Stihl 090. Tooth backset very slight for fine cutting and offset, side cutting dulled off for a smaller kerf. Using a six foot+ bar we made chains with three or four rakers per tooth to get the narrowest smoothest cuts while avoiding hogging which chews chunks out.
Meanwhile, on the fire lines, we ran 'wildcat' saws. Steep bite teeth, one raker between filed low to allow hogging, small bars and overpowered. Great for brush whacking as fast as you can go.
Maybe some spider species similarities there.

Last edited: