Votes: 61 4.9%
  • 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • other...please state in reply post

Votes: 414 33.1%

• Total voters

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Coconut fiber. I might buy some peat moss and place it in a corner to hold moisture if I every own any that need more moisture than your typical desert T.

FelixH

Arachnopeon
I use potting soil with loamearth from the wood, or earth from molehills, digging Spiders get 100% molehillearth, 'cause it has very much loam in it and natural microorganisms which keep everything clean and healthy.

Greetz - Felix

tangoblue37

Arachnosquire
My vote goes for "other" - the coconut fiber EcoEarth.
Thats what i use as well. The t's don't seem to like it when i put it in at first because i put it in a bit wet to help the humidity, but when it dries out they seem happy enough (and no stuff growing in it).

Oh, and it doesn't stick to them unlike bark which my pzb jevee came in... Seriously, i would never use that stuff.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Back when I voted in this poll (whenever that was), I was straight coco. Now you couldn't pay me to use the stuff. All about the peat now

...well, actually you probably could pay me to use it ;)

arachnofab

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've always used crushed walnut shells sold in the pet stores - i think my G. rosea is used to it now since its all she's ever had but my little G. pulchripes keeps walking all around the walls and ceiling of the cage so def. consider trying something else. This thread was very helpful - thanks guys!

Josh75

Arachnopeon
Why isn't eco earth listed in the poll? It's obviously the predominant choice.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
eco earth is the name of a product. but yeah curious that it doesn't list coconut fiber.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
Eco Earth! not the brick though, I make to big of a mess with the expanding brick lol!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use coconut fibre as a basis. What I add to or mix with it is dependent on species. Some get 100% coco fibre, others 50/50 coco/peat, others varying combinations of coco/peat+/- vermiculite. The last bag of peat I got must have had some fungus spores in it. I've been picking mushrooms out of enclosures for months. AARRGGHH! Not a problem I've had in the past.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The last bag of peat I got must have had some fungus spores in it. I've been picking mushrooms out of enclosures for months. AARRGGHH! Not a problem I've had in the past.
I kinda like it;) I'm not certain yet but my recent reading suggests that these are spores common to Canadian peat. So far (in that reading) it seems that these break down the dead sphagnum even further. Curiously, my biggest infestation is in an H. maculata tank that stays dry except for a monthly spritzing. It started in the base soil but has really taken off where where the tube webs become more or less horizontal. I guess that the moisture collects in these spots and encourages spreading of the spores. I had a Phlogius tank infested with mycelia that produced mushrooms regularly. The inhabitant would break them off at the stem or flex them and cover with copious webbing.